engraving barrels

S

sj-pratt

Caliber marking on a budget. Any body know if etch o matic system etches marks deep enough for a product like gun kote to be applied and still be able to see marking. Trying to look a little more professional with my projects.

Steve Pratt

I use the Etch A Matic and it is very difficult to read the markings after using GunKote.......

A simple stamp set (and alot of practice to get it looking good) or a Hermes engraving machine is the only way.....

I use a HURCO BMC 30 VMC to engrave the stuff I do. :D
Scott

huck rivets?

i think a huck would wrinkle the barrel too much as it takes alot of torque to get them to pop. better a drill thru and use a brass rod made 1/32 too long and peen over the ends. if done properly it looks just like the plate you attach. ;) honest you cant notice where the pin ends and the plate starts.:p sheesh Greggie

Nope, these guys are obviously all idiots, their ideas have ALL got problems. The correct way to attach a stamped plate or placard to a barrel is by TIG welding it. You can use an old-fashioned arc welder if you're good but the TIG setup makes it dead easy........just remember to tack the corners and weld criss-cross so's you don't walk wrinkles into the plate. You can even grind out the welds if you want it to look more professional. A nice welded plate will definitely show right thru most applied coatings

hth

al

)Holy Cow who would ever of thought I would recieve so many ideas, Im really going to have to ponder over this a bit longer.

Check around in your area for a small jeweler....they might be willing to do it in their pantograph. It isn't hard to do on a CNC mill; a small private operation might be willing to do it.

I have a pantograph that came out of an electrician's shop. They used it to engrave plastic plates that were put in breaker boxes to identify the circuits.

You'll never know unless you ask around.......

-Dave-:)

It would be nice if we all had a New Hermes engraver (pantograph) - I am still looking for one. My real problem will be finding the space to set it up - my garage is full. :D

What I have done and will do for the foreseeable future is to use a local trophy shop. I don't get anything fancier than the caliber and neck size.

I will admit that I also have one barrel that has the info written on it with an electric hand engraver (Ugly as heck) - the info can't be seen when the barrel is installed. Yes, my penmanship with a vibrating tool was quite poor... :eek:

FWIW

The local jeweler here charges $0.30 per character with a $6.00 minimum charge. It is hard to justify an engraving setup with prices like that available.

Clemson:)

Welding on a Stainless Barrel

Tig welding on a Stainless rifle Barrell... Your joking right?? :eek:
Clearly you don't have any idea how much distortion and stress this would put in a rifle barrell.
You guys get all upset when your chamber job runs out by 4 ten thousanths, yet have no problem introducing 5 times that if you weld on a rifle barrell??
Why do you think the top barrell makers stress releve there barrels up to 3 times during production? So that almost no residual stress is left when it's finished..

To me, welding on a fine match grade barrell is pure folly.

BTW
Lucky for me i have access to a CNC Machining center and with the right software it does numbers and lettering beautifuly!

Cheers

Leeroy

Leeroy
While I can't speak for everyone I thought all the comments on attaching the plate were in jest, mine certainly was, I thought that huck rivets or welding would be very obviously something you would never want to do to a barrel.
James

What Type Of Pantograph

Ok Gents What Type Of Pantograph Would Be Suitable????
Gm3 With Motor
Or Will The Small Hand Drag Models Work

Dusty,

Please elaborate, I went to Gravograph website, lotsa' models.

I've never seen a Hermes in action although I've done some engraving using chisels and workpiece imbedded in clay and pitch. I'm assuming "hand drag" means to use the Hermes machine without power?

help!

al

Back