Electronic Powder Dispenser

I guess I'll go with the RCBS but I won't tell anyone. I'll only use it when I'm alone so no one will know.

Allie Euber uses one and even has a battery pack to power it at the range so you would be in some pretty good company. what on earth gives you the impression it needs to be kept or should be kept a secret ??

I use-----

The Black&Decker electromate 400. It will last for a 2 day match (if you turn it off at nite) before recharging. I've had it 3 yrs now and just replaced the battery in it. It also acts as an air compressor and a portable battery jumper. That said; most of the ranges have a place to plug in my Chargemaster

I am not a benchrest shooter, but I am a bit anal about the accuracy of the weight of my powder charges. I use my RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 to throw the charge and then dump that into the pan that sits on my Denver Instruments MXX-123 digital scale. That way, if the ChargeMaster is off on the charge it throws, I can correct any discrepencies using the DI MXX-123.

I am not a benchrest shooter, but I am a bit anal about the accuracy of the weight of my powder charges. I use my RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 to throw the charge and then dump that into the pan that sits on my Denver Instruments MXX-123 digital scale. That way, if the ChargeMaster is off on the charge it throws, I can correct any discrepencies using the DI MXX-123.
Just curious, since I shoot 600/1000 some, how much error are you finding in the RCBS after it is warmed up?

The Black&Decker electromate 400. It will last for a 2 day match (if you turn it off at nite) before recharging. I've had it 3 yrs now and just replaced the battery in it. It also acts as an air compressor and a portable battery jumper. That said; most of the ranges have a place to plug in my Chargemaster
Just looked, the Black & Decker is $108 on amazon.com but there are a bunch on ebay for $79.98 inc shipping. It would be worth that just for the compressor.

Sf ...

What if the DI MXX-123 is also off ??? What's the backup ???

I got my batter pack/inverter combo at Autozone (car parts dealer) and I have seen them at Checker, Napa, and Home Depot too. This time of the year, you can pick one up for around $50.

I run mine straight off of a 12V DC battery directly into the 1500. Just wire it for the correct polarity. No inverter for me. An 8 D cell pack will run a year or more.

Well now,
Looks like the aye's have it,a unanimous decision in favor of using electronic powder dispensers at BR matches,even to the extent that shooters would provide their own power supply to run these devices.I don't think I've ever seen everybody on BR central agree on one subject?
So before I take a quantum leap into the future(even if I don't like the idea of hauling MORE stuff around with me to rifle matches),I have a few more questions.
#1--How do these gizmos perform outdoors in the wind, rain and dust ?
#2--Do I need some kind of CRUSH proof box to transport this plastic machine along with all my iron and steel shooting stuff?
#3--Do I need a level surface to set it up on?
#4--Do spilled liquids effect it's accuracy ?(crumbs,ketchup and powdered sugar donut dust, as well)
#5--Do you really have time at a two relay club match to use it?
#6--Do any of you guys want to sell your obsolete Neil Jones powder measure really cheap ?
Joel

My Next Step

Next Season, I plan on using a RCBS ChargeMaster. I think enough time has gone by that the bugs have been worked out.

I have sat down wityh my Hensler, and thrown charges using my method that are very accurate, but as was said, you never no. The way this game is evolving, it seems we can't leave anything on the table.

I generally shoot 30+ grns, I will figure out a way to get it all in there.

As for the time, I have a watch. If it takes the full 30 minutes to get ready and back to the line, then that is what I will take. In my opinion, this is not open for discussion. That is what the rules say........jackie

Jackie - -

it won't take you an appreciable amount of extra time to load what few cases you will use for a relay; perhaps 2-5 minutes. What seems to take the time is when one is loading 200 for a three yardage shoot. Even that, considering it takes the "Doubt" out of the equasion, is worth the time, IMHO.
P

Chargemaster accuracy?

I have posted this before, but for what it's worth.......
My Neil Jones measure, set for 28.5gr drop, will drop EXACTLY 285.0 grains if I cycle it 10 times and weigh it. It will do that 3 out of 5 times, with the other 2 being no more that a tenth off one way or the other.
HOWEVER, if I weigh each drop, then transfer that and subsequent drops to be weighed as a group, I'll get several 28.5's several 28.3's several 28.7's and a 28.4 or 28.6 mixed in. In the end, they all total up to 285.0 +- a tenth.
Go figure.
all I know is that I don't want that 28.3 load going into the same group as the 28.7 load.
I love the Chargemaster.
Bryan

Back