Electronic Powder Dispenser

Nader

No one leaves themselves without a backup.......it is on it's stand, clamped to the bench and filled at every match I attend.
By the way, I really don't know of any major matches won or records set by anyone using an electronic dispenser, so the jury is still out.....way out.
On the other hand, probably 5% or less of the current crop of BR shooters rely on them, so the stats are at most, inconclusive.
I've tried and tried to get a friend of mine to get into benchrest and all he can say is "You benchresters and a bunch of "Mad Scientists"......A tenth of a thou. here, a tenth of a thou. there.......that just sounds like Work!!"
In a way, I have to agree with him. I take a Friday off to set up and tune, then shoot the match, and I'm exhausted when it's all over.
BA

This is the problem- - -

I have posted this before, but for what it's worth.......
My Neil Jones measure, set for 28.5gr drop, will drop EXACTLY 285.0 grains if I cycle it 10 times and weigh it. It will do that 3 out of 5 times, with the other 2 being no more that a tenth off one way or the other.
HOWEVER, if I weigh each drop, then transfer that and subsequent drops to be weighed as a group, I'll get several 28.5's several 28.3's several 28.7's and a 28.4 or 28.6 mixed in. In the end, they all total up to 285.0 +- a tenth.
Go figure.
all I know is that I don't want that 28.3 load going into the same group as the 28.7 load.
I love the Chargemaster.
Bryan

It's the same with most of the loading components, most of them are Right On but a few in 100 will be WAY OUT. Those will make a total mess of one's weekend.

Sorry guys,
I'm not really trying to pick up a deal here. I just want to know, "come hell or high water" how convinced are you that the RCBS Chargemaster is the way to go for practical BR competition?
Joel
P.S. Bryan,ditto on the exhausted thing.

Last edited:
Pete

What components are you referring to? I've weighed bullets and Juenke'd them till I'm blue in the face, I weighed primers for a while (got a life), weighed brass......that is the only component I weigh any more, and only weigh them after 2 firings and a final trim to length. And, of course, powder.

Bullets are a non issue...especially within a given lot.
Primers are a non issue-period.
Cases do vary and should be segregated by weight.
Powder is the only other component that needs to be monitored.

My opinion
Bryan

Check - -

What components are you referring to? I've weighed bullets and Juenke'd them till I'm blue in the face, I weighed primers for a while (got a life), weighed brass......that is the only component I weigh any more, and only weigh them after 2 firings and a final trim to length. And, of course, powder.

Bullets are a non issue...especially within a given lot.
Primers are a non issue-period.
Cases do vary and should be segregated by weight.
Powder is the only other component that needs to be monitored.

My opinion
Bryan

Your private messages please.

Sorry guys,
I'm not really trying to pick up a deal here. I just want to know, "come hell or high water" how convinced are you that the RCBS Chargemaster is the way to go for practical BR competition?
Joel
P.S. Bryan,ditto on the exhausted thing.
Joel, the electronic scales and measures I've used, A) do not work well in the wind, and more important, B)they require a firm and steady base. For example, in a van, camper or motorhome, even with jacks down, the measures will slow way down if the wind is gusting and shaking the measure any. Or if someone is walking around the vehicle.

Of course when the wind is blowing like that, my groups will not show any variations that a 0.3 error from a Culver either.

As to spilled coffee, ketchup, peanut butter and jam, one will work as well as the other. Wind and rain? Don't even try it with either either!!

The RCBS comes in a big box with a plastic frame inside that holds the measure securely. All you have to do is save that box and use it, just as you would your rifle and its case.

Bryan, Joel, are you guys trying to say that a weekend of shooting benchrest is not fun and relaxing?

I use to Lyman plastic pans with a small funnel in their handles. For most of my charges they are all I need to transfer the powder. For those charges that need to be DROPPED, I have an 8" drop tube attached to a funnel.

I pre-load so have the advantage of my entire reloading room at hand. Most of the time, I throw charges close (within 3 or 4 tenths) and then trickle to the desired charge. I find it to be faster than using the AUTO cycle. I alternate between using the power trickle feature and simply trickling by fingers. Fingers generally are more forgiving because sometimes the tube carrying the powder will have a LUMP in it and drop too much powder, requiring that charge to be dumped.

Pete you are my hero!

FINALLY someone who's tried this. I've argued with people that I can under-throw from my Harrell's and trickle with my fingers using an MMX-123 and go much faster than the ChargeMaster.

But I don't have a ChargeMaster, I just timed myself against the video :) I've got my fingers trained until they'll dispense 1, 3 or even 5 or 7 kernels...... with practice this finger dispensing gets FAST!

ANYways...... I though it was neat that someone else is doing it.

I feel vindicated :D

LOL

al

The fingers abilities

Pete you are my hero!

FINALLY someone who's tried this. I've argued with people that I can under-throw from my Harrell's and trickle with my fingers using an MMX-123 and go much faster than the ChargeMaster.

But I don't have a ChargeMaster, I just timed myself against the video :) I've got my fingers trained until they'll dispense 1, 3 or even 5 or 7 kernels...... with practice this finger dispensing gets FAST!

ANYways...... I though it was neat that someone else is doing it.

I feel vindicated :D

LOL

al

are subject to how much Scotch has passed the old lips. After a COUPLE the ability to discern individual grains diminishes :D

I love my Lyman for reloading the hunting calibers at home. I use the Harrels at the range for benchrest. Lyman has impressed me with their customer service. On two occassions I ruined the AC adapter for mine and they replaced it FREE OF CHARGE. One time I ruined the whole thing (total brain fart) and they replaced it without a question. I am sure that RCBS has a good CS department as well, I just haven't had to deal with them.
Matt.

Well now,
Looks like the aye's have it,a unanimous decision in favor of using electronic powder dispensers at BR matches,even to the extent that shooters would provide their own power supply to run these devices.I don't think I've ever seen everybody on BR central agree on one subject?
So before I take a quantum leap into the future(even if I don't like the idea of hauling MORE stuff around with me to rifle matches),I have a few more questions.
#1--How do these gizmos perform outdoors in the wind, rain and dust ?
#2--Do I need some kind of CRUSH proof box to transport this plastic machine along with all my iron and steel shooting stuff?
#3--Do I need a level surface to set it up on?
#4--Do spilled liquids effect it's accuracy ?(crumbs,ketchup and powdered sugar donut dust, as well)
#5--Do you really have time at a two relay club match to use it?
#6--Do any of you guys want to sell your obsolete Neil Jones powder measure really cheap ?
Joel

Answers:

#1--they don't like wind, or dust. Never used one in the rain but I would guess that they really don't like that at all.
They do have a windshield but it isn't windproof and anything over 3 or 4 mph will flutter the scale windshield or not.

#2--Since it is a very sensitive electronic scale, I take as best of care as I can with mine. It doesn't get thrown in on the bottom of the heap. It rides up front on the console or on the back seat.

#3--Absolutely. Pack a bubble level around with it.

#4--It isn't hungry, so don't feed it!

#5--Depends on how fast you can clean your gun and resize cases. And how much you like to bs with other shooters. In a 2 relay match (where they don't follow the 30 min rule) it is pressing to get everything done. At least in my case. A three relay match, no problem.

#6--nope.

Honestly, when was the last time anyone shot in a match where they followed the 30 min rule??:eek: I'm jealous. Eveytime I brought it up that it's in the rule book, some old grumps huffed and puffed something about "we gotta get home".

Out in Grand Juntion last month, we didn't even get 30 seconds it seemed like! Well, OK, it was really averaging 7 to 10 minutes.;)

Last edited:
Jerry

I live for the Friday before the match..........Get off a day of work, set up, chew the fat with the other competitors, test, tune, have a beer or two, Life is great. Then come the comands for the first target on Saturday morning---followed by the mental stress of finding the reason I only shot a mid 2. The rest of the day is a struggle to work back up??? Sunday, one of the high rollers shoots a 6 and I think "hey, I went up a few places", but then I think about what I just thought and that's not the way any competitor should think. Forge ahead, do your best, and enjoy it. I do enjoy it, but it is hard work mentally and physically.
It's fun, but I don't think you will find a whole lot of BR shooters that will say a match is "relaxing".:rolleyes:
BA

It's fun, but I don't think you will find a whole lot of BR shooters that will say a match is "relaxing".:rolleyes:
BA
Bryan, do like I did on most every match for about 2 years, shoot a .5 on the first target, then you can relax.

( I developed one of those Trap shooter ailments, Trap shooters just trade guns though and go on. I'd put the first 2-3 in a small .1 then a jump-out, then the last one back in the group).

Portable Power Supply

A friend of mine that lingers on here every now and then, is working with RCBS on a small portable power supply for the Chargemaster. He designed one and they have requested his input and drawings. They said it was one thing that they just hadn't got to yet but have received a lot of requests for. Don't know a time frame but probably next summer it will be available.

Hovis

Back