Edgewood new 'Tracker' rear bag reviews

Hard to justify a bag that costs more than my rifle. It's like buying a handmade custom holster for a used Charter Arms Bulldog.
well if that 200 dollar rear bag cost more than your rifle, a )you are on the wrong forum and b) you are on the wrong site
benchrest aint cheap and 200 is about what i paid for each of the last 2 rear edgewoods i bought

There are those of us who enjoy shooting the thrifty end of the benchrest spectrum. I shoot in a league that currently limits the cost of the rifle at $350.00 and the scope at $150. No internal modifications to the rifle are allowed. Ammo must be standard velocity and is also cost limited. Benchrests and rear bags are allowed but no wind flags. With 20 plus shooters on the line competition is fierce with many matches won by a single point. My personal set up is the cheapest 10-22 with plastic stock made by Ruger and a BSA Sweet 22 scope. At a recent benchrest competition that included a class for "thrifty plinkers" I won a gold medal with this set up. My score would have taken gold in the "sporter" class also. My point is this, it's not always about the equipment. BTW, my unlimited set up is a 40x with Shilen barrel, 2 ounce trigger, McMillan stock, Hoehn 4000 plus tuner and fixed 40 power scope.

Has anyone ever tried this new Edgewood Tracker rear bag ? If so, do you like it ?
danyboy,
I too, am interested in opinions from those that have tried the new bag. Hopefully we'll get some of those instead of more 'opinions' that have nothing to do with your question.

Scott

There are those of us who enjoy shooting the thrifty end of the benchrest spectrum. I shoot in a league that currently limits the cost of the rifle at $350.00 and the scope at $150. No internal modifications to the rifle are allowed. Ammo must be standard velocity and is also cost limited. Benchrests and rear bags are allowed but no wind flags. With 20 plus shooters on the line competition is fierce with many matches won by a single point. My personal set up is the cheapest 10-22 with plastic stock made by Ruger and a BSA Sweet 22 scope. At a recent benchrest competition that included a class for "thrifty plinkers" I won a gold medal with this set up. My score would have taken gold in the "sporter" class also. My point is this, it's not always about the equipment. BTW, my unlimited set up is a 40x with Shilen barrel, 2 ounce trigger, McMillan stock, Hoehn 4000 plus tuner and fixed 40 power scope.
If it's true, where can you get a max $350 rifle these days ? The more I get into the Benchrest compétition world, the more I realize it’s got everything to do with money.
If everybody competed with the exact same firearms, same ammo, same scopes, no wind flags, then you would get to see the good shooters.
An association in Ontario even changed the scoring marks system. For score competition, an X counts for one point. So a guy shooting 24 X and a 9 would beat another shooter with 250 and 10 X for instance. Cause who’s the best, 24 X and a 9 or 250 and 10 X ?

Last edited:
If it's true, where can you get a max $350 rifle these days ? The more I get into the Benchrest compétition world, the more I realize it’s got everything to do with money.
If everybody competed with the exact same firearms, same ammo, same scopes, no wind flags, then you would get to see the good shooters.
An association in Ontario even changed the scoring marks system. For score competition, an X counts for one point. So a guy shooting 24 X and a 9 would beat another shooter with 250 and 10 X for instance. Cause who’s the best, 24 X and a 9 or 250 and 10 X ?
I purchased my 10-22 about 2 years ago at an Air Force exchange for $199 and the BSA scope for $149. At the time Palmento State Armory had the same combination for $349.

Our monthly Thrifty Benchrest match recently upped the rifle cost to $400 and scope to $200. Typically the line is about evenly split between 10-22's and Savage with an occasional older Remington. Search around, there are good deals occasionally. If I started over I'd go with the Savage as it has a better trigger. Many of our "plinkers" also shoot our monthly Benchrest match with much more expensive rifles and scopes. I love the challenge of the plinker match because one day I'm going to beat that 82 year old dude who usually wins.

BTW that's an interesting scoring system they use in Ontario.

Keep it in the ten ring with lots of X's.

Sportsman's Warehouse has a deal on 10-22's for $249. https://www.sportsmans.com/ruger-10/22-sale/c/cat141039

UBR was devised in 2011 and uses the 11 point scoring system as well as being caliber neutral, not favoring any caliber because of the hole size left in the target. It's a great game and has been progressively growing, even in tough times, since its inception here in the states...Albeit, it is more prominent in the southeast. Great game if you wanna give it a try. Very easy to get started holding matches.

Sorry, no experience yet with the new Tracker bag. Seen one or two at matches but haven't thought to ask opinions of them in person. I've been using the same SEB offset Bigfoot bag for several years now and I love that thing. There are some little things I think could be improved about it but the overall design is my favorite.

Last edited:
UBR was devised in 2011 and uses the 11 point scoring system as well as being caliber neutral, not favoring any caliber because of the hole size left in the target. It's a great game and has been progressively growing, even in tough times, since its inception here in the states...Albeit, it is more prominent in the southeast. Great game if you wanna give it a try. Very easy to get started holding matches.

Sorry, no experience yet with the new Tracker bag. Seen one or two at matches but haven't thought to ask opinions of them in person. I've been using the same SEB offset Bigfoot bag for several years now and I love that thing. There are some little things I think could be improved about it but the overall design is my favorite.
the phrase "caliber neutral" is a way of hiding the fact that 6 ppc has an issue beating the 30br. so a bunch of 6ppc loosers wrote a set of rules that let them win. nothing "neutral" about it

UBR is very interesting especially the targets. I might buy some targets and give it a try. I'm interested in just about anything that gets more people competing.

UBR is very interesting especially the targets. I might buy some targets and give it a try. I'm interested in just about anything that gets more people competing.
i doubt it gets more people shooting just took them from the 2 major benchrest orgs( really only from 1 of the 2) and started a new game. neither respectable USA org would have anything to do wiith the silly plan

i doubt it gets more people shooting just took them from the 2 major benchrest orgs( really only from 1 of the 2) and started a new game. neither respectable USA org would have anything to do wiith the silly plan
You're wrong again. It has been very good at getting new and old shooters involved, especially so at some ranges, where it is well promoted. You're free to feel any way you want but I'd wager you've never tried it so you really don't know what you're talking about, again. Ultimately, it's another option and if you don't like the concept, it's very simple...just don't shoot it. I don't even understand the logic that you are applying but that doesn't surprise me at all. If it makes scoring more even, it's not unfair. It's the same for a 30 as it is a 22 or a 6mm. IBS and NBRSA both favor a 30. Nothing wrong with that...it's just how their rules are written. To be consistently competitive in those two, you pretty much have to shoot a 30. In UBR, you are scored the same with a 22 or 6 as you are a 30, so no advantage is given to any caliber. IOW, you can compete without having to build a gun for it or rebarrel one to participate. That alone allows more shooters to get involved. See how that works? I shot 30's for several years and still do at times. I've done a lot of scoring in both ubr and ibs. From someone who knows, there is no scoring advantage or disadvantage in ubr due to caliber. You can still shoot a 30 if ya want. They have the advantage of being quite tune insensitive but the disadvantage of more recoil. So, pick your poison. It's nice to be able to choose what you believe is the best caliber. There are more ppc's shot in ubr than anything but there's a reasonably good mix of calibers and cartridges that all win their fair share, head to head.

It's a good game. Factory class needs more promotion in all orgs and ranges. There's a lot of potential there. My local range has had pretty good success with drawing new shooters into factory and several have been introduced to br that way and have moved up. Much of that is from match directors and competitors being proactive and inviting to potential new shooters. That goes for any of the sanctioning bodies, though. Just give it a try for a few matches and give people a chance to get used to it enough to make an informed decision about what they like or not about it. Anything new is at a disadvantage at first, as we tend to prefer what we are most comfortable with. Given some time, people can decide which they prefer and why. I'd be happy to discuss some of the less obvious stuff if you ever wanna talk. Shoot me a msg and we can talk by phone.

mike ezell,
name me one other sport where the two sides have different targets/goals ???
hockey with one goal smaller than the other ??? no
football with goal post on one side narrower than the other...no
baseball where one team gets a shorter field for easy home runs...no
none zero...because games are HEADS UP, A GAME.. there is no "fair" about different rules for different players in one game.
you choose to ignore FACTS to justify your handicapped rifle shooting.
you seem to think that by posting words you change FACTS. you do not.
if this is so fair why does it not show up in IBS OR NBRSA ??
because they see the flaw in your OPINION. it is not "fair" it is simply a handicap to ALLOW 6 ppcs to beat the superior score round, 30br.
quit professing your opinion when the FACTS show you are wrong...its just embarassing

It's a good game. Factory class needs more promotion in all orgs and ranges. There's a lot of potential there. My local range has had pretty good success with drawing new shooters into factory and several have been introduced to br that way and have moved up. Much of that is from match directors and competitors being proactive and inviting to potential new shooters. That goes for any of the sanctioning bodies, though. Just give it a try for a few matches and give people a chance to get used to it enough to make an informed decision about what they like or not about it. Anything new is at a disadvantage at first, as we tend to prefer what we are most comfortable with. Given some time, people can decide which they prefer and why. I'd be happy to discuss some of the less obvious stuff if you ever wanna talk. Shoot me a msg and we can talk by phone.
mwezell, well stated.
Bullseye went through somewhat of a transition/split a few years back when the NRA and Civilian Marksmenship Program went separate ways. The rules are the same but CMP still holds a traditional national championship at Camp Perry where your shoot at paper targets in the wind, rain and mud. The NRA moved to Camp Attabury where you shoot under cover at electronic targets. I've been competing for more than 50 years and I love tradition, but I'm not anal about it. I'll shoot any target you put up ,from a beer can to steel at a thousand yards. I'm all for most anything that brings more new shooters to the sport, especially young people.

mike ezell,
name me one other sport where the two sides have different targets/goals ???
hockey with one goal smaller than the other ??? no
football with goal post on one side narrower than the other...no
baseball where one team gets a shorter field for easy home runs...no
none zero...because games are HEADS UP, A GAME.. there is no "fair" about different rules for different players in one game.
you choose to ignore FACTS to justify your handicapped rifle shooting.
you seem to think that by posting words you change FACTS. you do not.
if this is so fair why does it not show up in IBS OR NBRSA ??
because they see the flaw in your OPINION. it is not "fair" it is simply a handicap to ALLOW 6 ppcs to beat the superior score round, 30br.
quit professing your opinion when the FACTS show you are wrong...its just embarassing
UBR is growing, doing well and has solid participation from people who try it. That's all that matters. We're enjoying the shooting sport while you're bitching about something that you have never even tried nor know anything about. Those are facts, not opinions. If you don't like the concept, just don't play. Simple as that.

The bag being discussed is UBR legal and looks like a good bag, as I'm sure it is, coming from Edgewood.

How many times have you been banned from numerous sites? Lets talk about that. Want to?

Last edited:
mwezell, well stated.
Bullseye went through somewhat of a transition/split a few years back when the NRA and Civilian Marksmenship Program went separate ways. The rules are the same but CMP still holds a traditional national championship at Camp Perry where your shoot at paper targets in the wind, rain and mud. The NRA moved to Camp Attabury where you shoot under cover at electronic targets. I've been competing for more than 50 years and I love tradition, but I'm not anal about it. I'll shoot any target you put up ,from a beer can to steel at a thousand yards. I'm all for most anything that brings more new shooters to the sport, especially young people.
Same here. Just tell me the rules and hang the targets. Lets shoot and have a good time.

How many times have you been banned from numerous sites? Lets talk about that. Want to?
lets talk about that.
seems to me that since you have an opinion without facts to back it up....you reported me to the admin to get me banned because you could not win a discussion with facts...plain and simple. you are such a child.
i notice not once have you actually refuted the FACTS that ubr is a HANDICAP game, not heads up BENCHREST like in IBS AND NBRSA. GO AWAY LITTLE CHILD

Whoa dude. I have not reported you to admin. As a shooter I respect your opinions and trust the facts you report. I humbly ask only the same in return. I'll gladly depart this particular thread if that helps.

Back