Drilling Reduction Gear Foundation For Body Fit Bolts......Marine Gear Installation

jackie schmidt

I have spent the last couple of days down in the engine room of a new 2600 HP Tug that’s being built at San Jac Marine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR_PJrgG3sE

We do quite a bit of this, for both new construction and replacement gears. The Body Fit Bolts keeps the reduction gear, which takes the thrust of the propeller, from any movement during normal operation. The gear is set on Chockfast, a pourable hard setting chocking compound. (Think glass bedding a Action).

https://itwperformancepolymers.com/products/chockfast/chocking-compounds/chockfast-orange

The bolt bodies are .937, the thread is 7/8 NF. I use 1 inch grade bolt blanks to machine the bolts.

The air drill is a #3 Ingersoll Rand. I drill the holes with a 7/8 drill and then ream them with A 15/16 core drill. The bolts are installed with .001 interference. I dip them in liquid nitrogen for about 5 minutes and slip them in.

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23614&stc=1&d=1590026882

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23615&stc=1&d=1590026966

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23616&stc=1&d=1590027042

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23617&stc=1&d=1590027126

Attachments

• 539916FE-D070-4060-A983-0CF1D3D98E1D.jpeg
    539916FE-D070-4060-A983-0CF1D3D98E1D.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 677
  • E1696434-65CE-46AA-BD73-5E947411B403.jpeg
    E1696434-65CE-46AA-BD73-5E947411B403.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 638
  • 8A0FEED0-2840-4755-B451-B0DBDDE4C153.jpeg
    8A0FEED0-2840-4755-B451-B0DBDDE4C153.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 613
  • 1B33030F-3ED2-46E4-85D5-136E2E9AFD73.jpeg
    1B33030F-3ED2-46E4-85D5-136E2E9AFD73.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 580
Last edited:
So that Ingersoll Rand drill comes with a tapped reverse-thread hole in the top?

You noticed that, huh.

Yes, the thread in top of the drill is a left hand thread. I made the end of that 3/4 feed rod to fit it. The pillow block bearing has a threaded insert pressed into to do the actual feed while drilling..

These are relative small holes. I will be doing one next week, a 3600 HP tug, that has 1 1/2 inch bolts. I use a #4 air drill to do those.

Fantastic.

You look younger every day.

Good On Ya

Al. Those two men helping me, you could add their ages together and I still top them by about 20 years.

I don’t know if climbing around in these darned boats has kept me young, or made me old:p

Al. Those two men helping me, you could add their ages together and I still top them by about 20 years.

I don’t know if climbing around in these darned boats has kept me young, or made me old:p

I do concrete and it's traditional for concrete guys to whine endlessly about "how hard this is on their bodies" and to make jokes every time they see an old guy gimping along "there goes an old concrete finisher"......... and every single guy I've known who's "got out and moved up to a civilized job" ends up buying a gym membership .....

and still whining :)

About getting fat....

I'm not blowing smoke up yer butt, I believe in activity and attitude.

And I hope to look and feel that good in the fleeting second it'll take me to catch up to you ;)

You love your work

And it shows

Thank you Jackie

Jackie, I never tire of viewing your work. Thanks for taking the time to share it with the rest of us.
As my father was sometimes heard to say, "It takes quite a hoss to do that kind of work."

Best regards Hoss !

Gene Beggs

Thanks Jackie, the engine looks to be a Cummins QSK 50. Do you know?
Larry

Close. It is a QSK 38, tier 4. I think they are set at 1300 HP. That is about max for a 38 series.

Surprisingly, we don’t see that many KT 50 series. When boats start getting into the1500+ HP per side, most are opting for the 35-16 Cat series.

Last edited:
Chockfast, Jackie

Jackie I'd like to try some Chockfast in several applications.

I know absolutely nothing about it, had only heard of it once before you mentioned it and have been reading the tds from the company and am fascinated..... thermal expansion coefficient very near steel.....

My question is, how do you mix it?

My concern or question concerns 'air entrainment' ie bubbles in the mix. (This is a big problem with liquid epoxies, one which I'm pretty familiar with)

So, in simple terms.... how do you mix it and are bubbles a factor?

Jackie I'd like to try some Chockfast in several applications.

I know absolutely nothing about it, had only heard of it once before you mentioned it and have been reading the tds from the company and am fascinated..... thermal expansion coefficient very near steel.....

My question is, how do you mix it?

My concern or question concerns 'air entrainment' ie bubbles in the mix. (This is a big problem with liquid epoxies, one which I'm pretty familiar with)

So, in simple terms.... how do you mix it and are bubbles a factor?

Chockfast comes in many grades.

https://itwperformancepolymers.com/products/chockfast

For chicks under reduction gears and engines in boats, Chockfast Orange is used.

Gray is used in chocking in Deck Machinery, support under tracks, support under steel machinery beds.

What are you going to use it for? That determines which grade you use.

As for bibles, I have seen old chocks broken up, and they look solid. Much depends on how you mix the hardener. The. Product comes in 1 gallon cans. There will be a small bottle of activator. The amount of activator you use is determined by the temperature.

It is not recommended to pour Chockfast under 50 degrees. In engine rooms of boats, if in winter and cold, it is advised to use heaters to get the temperature in the engine room above 70 degrees.

To use, you mix in the proper amount of activator, and pour.

........ and every single guy I've known who's "got out and moved up to a civilized job" ends up buying a gym membership .....

Al,

No sh!t, huh? The ones that made me scratch my head were the cats who had gym memberships, yet wouldn't mow their own lawn. They had gardeners...

Jackie,

Cool stuff! Oh, to be a fly on the wall in your shop for a week or two. Keep that stuff coming. Fascinating.

Justin

Yes please keep it coming Jackie I not only admire your line of work I am also learning from it as well. Especially enjoyed your video and if possible I would enjoy seeing allot more of them in the future. Especially a full length video series of you chambering a rifle someday.

Glad Al asked the question about the left hand rotation.....I was thinking what the hell?

Mort

Thanks for the film clip and photos.
The shipyard had some drills with magnetic bases. They were pretty heavy to lug around.

Head scratcher

Al,

No sh!t, huh? The ones that made me scratch my head were the cats who had gym memberships, yet wouldn't mow their own lawn. They had gardeners...

Jackie,

Cool stuff! Oh, to be a fly on the wall in your shop for a week or two. Keep that stuff coming. Fascinating.

Justin

I'm one of those guys that go to a gym and don't mow my lawn. This started about 4 years ago. The back surgery helped and the limited exercise is good for me.

Are things back to normal for you? I bugged out today and spent a pleasant morning shooting sage rats. I like to make them fly.

Mort

Glad Al asked the question about the left hand rotation.....I was thinking what the hell?

Mort

Thanks for the film clip and photos.
The shipyard had some drills with magnetic bases. They were pretty heavy to lug around.

Mort, we have two nice magnetic base drills. But this setup does a much better job in the field. Especially where space is limited.

Of course, for larger holes, you need the kind of power and sturdiness that a large large pneumatic drill gives when used with a good setup.

Back