Dies for 30BR

F

Fred Nickel

I'm narrowing things down .... reading a ton more .... I've decided to go for Score Shooting and looking at a 30BR for a rifle.

I'm trying to put together a list of some of the things that I will need and what the costs look like so I can get an idea of what all this is gonna set me back ..... boy the list gets long real fast.

I already have a Rockchucker and if it will work out for me to use it as my press that will save me some $$$ .... I know it'll be kinda hard to load at the range .... but I'm reading that "same day laoding" isn't as critical with 30BR as it is with 6PPC. So I guess the question is can I get away with using the Rockchucker and maybe pick up Redding Dies? Or some other die set that I can use with the rockchucker? And if I do go with the Redding set which is the best one to get?

Thanks .... Fred

I think it is ridiculous that anyone should die for a 30BR, no matter how well it shoots.

I'm narrowing things down .... reading a ton more .... I've decided to go for Score Shooting and looking at a 30BR for a rifle.

I'm trying to put together a list of some of the things that I will need and what the costs look like so I can get an idea of what all this is gonna set me back ..... boy the list gets long real fast.

I already have a Rockchucker and if it will work out for me to use it as my press that will save me some $$$ .... I know it'll be kinda hard to load at the range .... but I'm reading that "same day laoding" isn't as critical with 30BR as it is with 6PPC. So I guess the question is can I get away with using the Rockchucker and maybe pick up Redding Dies? Or some other die set that I can use with the rockchucker? And if I do go with the Redding set which is the best one to get?

Thanks .... Fred

Fred, Redding "s" bushing FL neck die to size, redding or wilson seater, I've shot a 30BR from central Fla to NY, 25-105 degress in temp,, always preloaded and competitive, I use a harrell's and/or a old Lyman 55 powder drop,, check ebay, gunbroker and benchrest central for good used loading equipment,,,,,,,,,

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

James Messer use to lug an old (& rusty) Rockchucker to matches. Works just fine. Dies are the critical component. For an FL die, Harrell is probably fine, I'd call it semi-custom. and less than half the price of a custom die. Might be cheaper than a Redding, for all I know.

For a seater, many of us use a Wilson blank, reamed with the chamber reamer. I've never used the Redding Competition seater -- or the Forester -- but there are people who swear by them. I would still bet that the best fit is when the sleeve is reamed by the chamber reamer.

If you know your chamber specs or are having your rifle built, your gunsmith can give you advice on dies. I "pre purchased" a set of Redding 30BR dies but my chamber specs would not allow their use as is. I ended up with Harrells after sending them some cases shot 2-3 times.

I've shot a 30BR from central Fla to NY

And the amazing thing is with the cheat factor built in the massive 30BR's bullet hole, he shot a clean 250 from that distance.... Us 30BR guys have to stick together before the 6PPC whipping stick comes out... :<) tim

Dies to die for for a gun that shoots 2000 miles...... ohhh you'se guys are ripe today...

al

is it snowing out ???
it certainly sounds like it is...

mike in co

It amazes shooters when they see that I use a Redding sizing die for my 30BR, and a Redding Seater.

The Die works great with my reamer, which has the same body dimensions as the standard Robinet.

Of course, everybody knows that the Redding Dies will not produce ammunition well enough for true BR Competition.;)

The Competition seater.
The trick to getting the Redding seater to repeat dead on on seating depth is to make sure the shell holder contacts the bottom of the die body firmly enough to insure all of the slack is out of the press linkage........jackie

It amazes shooters when they see that I use a Redding sizing die for my 30BR, and a Redding Seater.

The Die works great with my reamer, which has the same body dimensions as the standard Robinet.

Of course, everybody knows that the Redding Dies will not produce ammunition well enough for true BR Competition.;)

Jackie, how is it that Randy Robinett and Al Nyhus say that? ... "It'll never work!"

I have an old Redding die that was converted from a 6 BR to a 30 by Jim Carstenson WAAAAAY back in the dark ages. It no longer works well for me. It does not or never has matched any of the chambers I have or have had well. Perhps Redding has cured the problem that exists in mine. I know others have good results with their Redding dies.

I bought a Harrels a couple of years ago and like it. I am sorry I didn't get his smallest size though. Older Brass seem to need to be squeezed a bit more, from my experience.

I use Forester Ultra seating dies and can't praise them enough. I am not much of a fan of Hand dies, and you know who I mean :). Lot of matches are won by folks using them though :)

I have a closet full of green box dies and use them where I can, but if you have a chamber that won't work with them you're out of luck. I haven't to this point owned my own reamer, so purchase of a Harrells was next best to custom, and no more expensive that a Redding

Try score with the 6 .. it might surprise you and sounds like you are already set up for it .. If your comfortable with it, Scores will most likely place or be right there at the top. Are you rebarreling a 6 or building a new score rifle? sorry if I wasnt paying attention to a previous post. You will need the bolt face opened up or build a turner to cut the bases down for the 6br brass to work with a 6ppc bolt face. Open the bolt face, Ive done the turned base thing and its a time consuming process. you can always go back to a 6 later without changing anything but the barrel for some types of actions/bolts, worse case an extractor change only. I use a Harrells for my 30 and a redding for my 6. My 6 seater is a Wilson, both used very little $ invested. The 30 is a custom Wilson style seater that came with the rifle. I use an old RCBS Partner picked up for $0 heavily used in my range box and a Rockchucker at the house. Home made arbor press for seating. Nothing fancy, works just fine. I have more money in my range box, brass and bullets than the contents. A used Lee primer I had given to me 4 years ago, RCBS powder measure and chamber gauge. Cost $20.00 something for the gauge when I had the barrel chambered. Pretty low budget operation. OH, My dial calipers were $80.00, I guess I figured those should be good so I splurged on them. Its effective for me .. : )

Andy B.

I currently have two 30br rifles with Robinett chambers. I have to use a redding type s FL die, because the Harrell's die lynnwood sold me wouldn't allow me to use a Wilson seat die. The Harrell's didn't size the case enough and the brass wouldn't fit up inside the Wilson seat die. All i would have t do to make the Wilson die work is to run the Robinett chamber reamer up inside the Wilson seat die, but i don't have those tools and i would have to pay someone to do this for me. So, i just use the redding for now. It seems to work just fine. Lee

Lee,
I just went through this last season. I ended up sending the die along with a new barrel to my Smith and had the die opened up at the same time. Much better now. Was not that expensive at all. No more picking the case out with a small screw driver is a good thing.
Andy B

Back when Stan Ware put together my first 30BR, die choices were pretty slim. No off-the-shelf Redding or Harrel's dies. Everything was a modification of something.

So I took a fired Lapua case from my 6BR rifle, sized it in a Redding Body Die, sent that to Dave Kiff...and he made the reamer off the sized case dimensions. JLC converted the Body Die to a bushing die and life was good. Kind of a bass-ackwards way of doing it. Life can be like that in South Dakota.

Later, when Redding made the Type 'S' 30BR dies available, they used the existing 6BR Body Die dimensions as the basis.

Now with the Redding and Harrel's stuff, a shooter can get a die that will work with whatever chamber dimensions a 30BR has...or you have the flexibility to size a bit more or less by opting another die. Plus, the savvy 'smith can tell a customer which die works best with his reamer so they can get in the ball park right away and not end up with half a dozen dies trying to find something that works.

Life doesn't totally suck for the 30BR shooter. ;)

Last edited:
Skeet

In years past, I have openned up quite a few Wilson Seaters so that the case would go in all the way, and come out without having to pick it out.

Since the wilson seater is not hardenned, all it takes is a lathe, (or someting to secure it and spin it at about 200 RPM), a small wooden dowell, and some emory paper. Just sand it out untill the sized case just slips in. Keep in mind, there is a fine line between "just right", and too much........jackie

Back