Dies for 30BR

.........and I hope the nice guy who is buying my Redding die set appreciates what a good deal he's getting...........

Did you try having Harrels exchanging the die for you. They have several body sizes. They are pretty good guys to work with.

I'm narrowing things down .... reading a ton more .... I've decided to go for Score Shooting and looking at a 30BR for a rifle.

I'm trying to put together a list of some of the things that I will need and what the costs look like so I can get an idea of what all this is gonna set me back ..... boy the list gets long real fast.

I already have a Rockchucker and if it will work out for me to use it as my press that will save me some $$$ .... I know it'll be kinda hard to load at the range .... but I'm reading that "same day laoding" isn't as critical with 30BR as it is with 6PPC. So I guess the question is can I get away with using the Rockchucker and maybe pick up Redding Dies? Or some other die set that I can use with the rockchucker? And if I do go with the Redding set which is the best one to get?

Thanks .... Fred

A lot of shooters buy the inexpensive RCBS Partner Press they are light weight and easy to transport...

my opinion on the best all around press for the money are the older RCBS Jr 2 and 3 presses. No longer made but they are everywhere on ebay and other sites. you can buy one for around 50 bucks most days. They are great and they make the partner press look cheap!! They do weigh a little more than the partner press but i dont mind the weight. I take mine with me everywhere. Check them out!! Lee

When I ordered my latest .30 cal Reamer I had Kiff send it with a .3094 bushing on it... When you buy a reamer it comes with one bushing. I have all the other bushings in the .30 cal line up so I measured the hole in Wilson seating dies. The ones I have seem to need a .3094 pin. Now this helps me set up the seating die in the lathe for cutting with a chambering reamer. I'll use that bushing for wilson dies.

Paul

Skeetlee:

Had same problem with Wilson seater die after using a #2.5 Harrells. The cases weren't tight in the seater, but had to tap a few out. In talking with them, I sent some cases in and received a die with a different designation stamped on it. The explanation was that they did a slight modification to their #2.5(maybe all of them, don't know) which I suspect involved a fraction more "sizing" in the body at the shoulder. Anyhow, no more problems.

James Messer use to lug an old (& rusty) Rockchucker to matches. Works just fine. Dies are the critical component. For an FL die, Harrell is probably fine, I'd call it semi-custom. and less than half the price of a custom die. Might be cheaper than a Redding, for all I know.

When I bought mine, Redding did not make a sizer, just the comp seater. I bought a Harrel's, and have been happy with it. I take my Partner Press to matches, mounted on a wood block, secured with a "C" clamp.

Back