Decon = how long to set??

tiny68

I have got my first stock set in Devcon Plastic Steel putty tonight. How long do you allow it to set before pulling the action out of the stock? My wife officially thinks I have lost it with the panty hoes used to hold it firm in place.

Thanks, Tim

Ohhh, and to answer the header, generally decon is figured either on half-life or toxicity. Another mitigating factor is efficacy of neutralizing agent. F'rinstance decon for Hiroshima was 20yrs (natural cycle) but for many bacteriological agents a simple UV pass-thru suffices.

hth

al

Tim,

If your Devcon is the putty type, I would give it two or three days. The main bed of epoxy that I place under the action is usually pretty thick, like 3/8" or there abouts. The reason being that as it cures (in that thickness) it shrinks and will be easier to separate the metal from the stock. If you have the patience to wait that amount of time, it will just pop out with a little "CracK".

You can separate the metal and stock sooner but I have always found it to take a bunch more effort to get the two apart. This has always had a higher "Pucker factor" than the longer wait period.

This is assuming you used a good release agent.

Just my experience.

Bob

I probably did overkill with the Kiwi neutral paste wax. One pop with my hand and it the action came right out. Tim

Tim,

Way better than those who are niggardly with release agent.

John

I thought less release agent was better... thinner gap between the metal and epoxy then. I know you can buff the crap out of Kiwi wax and it still works fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
think about what

I thought less release agent was better... thinner gap between the metal and epoxy then. I know you can buff the crap out of Kiwi wax and it still works fine.
gave us the "glue-in". Unless you are describing globbed on wax as a heavy coat, the film thickness of the release agent is in the microns thick range. If I want to come back out instead of being glued in I would always err on the heavy side.

David

I agree w/katokoch, shoe polish has completely changed the paradigm. I started when Acra-glas came only in liquid and release agent was like rubberized instant bandaid. Through the years I think I've tried every type and flavor of release as it's come out. I've got liquid, gel, water-based, petroleum based, concentrates of all sorts. Pump sprayers and aerosols..... I've used vaseline, Rem-oil, WD-40 and silicone spray. I've done 1 coat to 3 coats and I've stuck 'em together. I've heated them and froze them, warped them from waiting to short and broke them from waiting too long.

Now I use Kiwi, 15-30hrs depending on material/temp and they pop apart like I knew what I was doing :)

I like it

al

Cure time varies

Most Epoxy will begin to cure between 2-3 hours at 72 degrees. Full cure will take 18-24 hours at that same temp. You can accelerate the curing process by using heat lamps 1-2 feet from the area . Avoid open flame as a source of heat.

Don't the instructions say to let it cure for 24 hrs?

"instructions"....? What is the meaning of this foreign word you mention...? :cool:

At least that is my policy for most instructions. Too many instructions where written by the engineers that design the product. I would much rather help from someone that has actually done it before. I am still mad about the current state of automobiles. Ever try to change the spark plugs on 2006 Ford Expedition? What kind of engineer could come up with something like that...? ..........What was I talking about.....?

Tim

Last edited:
"instructions"....? What is the meaning of this foreign word you mention...? :cool:

At least that is my policy for most instructions. Too many instructions where written by the engineers that design the product. I would much rather help from someone that has actually done it before. I am still mad about the current state of automobiles. Ever try to change the spark plugs on 2006 Ford Expedition? What kind of engineer could come up with something like that...? ..........What was I talking about.....?

Tim

OK tiny, on automobiles.....

buy a Chev.

My buddy put 223,000mi on his truck and never changed the plugs. I tend to go about 150,000 and then change 'em whether they need it or not.

;)

And then, remember I said 150,000 with NOTHING done...... try that with yer old '72 Chevelle

LOL

al

Back