Custom Bench Priming tool

thorswhisper

Has anyone here ever made their own bench priming tool? Preferably one that has the capacity to adjust the depth and that has better feel?

why would you want to adjust seating depth ?

1) seat to the bottom of the pocket
2) add a small crush in place about .002

not seated to the bottom means the firing pin must do that job
leading to poor ignition consistency.

I have one of the CPS units and a Century21 hand tool. The CPS unit is very, very nice. Working it is quick and smooth and be done with one hand leaving the other free to simply add/remove a case.

I'd agree

I had considered modifying a Forster bench unit, but it's so clumsy....

I have one of those but it's faster for me to use my RCBS hand seater with the 100 Primer holder. I've had and have several priming tools but find the RCBS the best and most comfortable.

Pete

The RCBS bench tool (straight lever) has excellent feel.
This one:

https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-9460-Auto-Priming-Tool/dp/B000NOORXE/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&hvadid=78340257068716&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&hvqmt=p&keywords=rcbs+automatic+priming+tool&qid=1614721859&sr=8-1

Not hard to detect primer entering pocket, anvil touching bottom of pocket,
and then that last little movement that compresses the primer pellet.

Never have been able to feel as well using any of the cam operated seaters.
Only complaint was that the older tubes did not hold 100 primers.
Looks like they fixed this.
I see tubes advertised as holding 100 primers.

I grabbed longer tubes from Dillon and turned a shoulder on them so they fit.
Problem solved.

Once you have a metal lathe you will find a lot more uses for it.

No more filing on a drill press to tweak the diameter of things.

Last edited:
I had that same RCBS seater with Holland's modifications. While nice it doesn't come anywhere near the feel of the Primal Rights CPS tool. Not even close. It's a spendy little tool, that's for sure.

SO, what does FEEL got to do with it, got to do with, got to do with it?

As long as the primers are bottomed, they will ignite. A lot of people seem to place a lot of relevance on feel. How does one measure feel? Just askin for a friend :)

Pete

Last edited:
As long as the primers are bottomed, they will ignite. A lot of people seem to place a lot of relevance on feel. How does one measure feel? Just askin for a friend :)

Pete

"Feel", better termed "tactile judgement", is an acquired skill. What it, "has to do with it", is uniformly "seating" the anvil, thus, uniform ignition. RG

"Feel", better termed "tactile judgement", is an acquired skill. What it, "has to do with it", is uniformly "seating" the anvil, thus, uniform ignition. RG

I get much tactile feedback from my Lee Priming Tool.
Such a simple device but it works quite well.

* doggie *

I blew up

a Lee Priming Tool years ago. Burned my left thumb quite badly. I didn't go by the directions so it was my fault, I put too many primers in the holder. The Lee does not have a fence to prevent a spark from igniting the primers waiting to be seated. I replaced it with 2 RCBS seaters that do have a fence.

Pete

a Lee Priming Tool years ago. Burned my left thumb quite badly. I didn't go by the directions so it was my fault, I put too many primers in the holder. The Lee does not have a fence to prevent a spark from igniting the primers waiting to be seated. I replaced it with 2 RCBS seaters that do have a fence.

Pete
squesse your primer seater with your hand not your thumb.

Back