Custom Bench Priming tool

I have one of those but it's faster for me to use my RCBS hand seater with the 100 Primer holder. I've had and have several priming tools but find the RCBS the best and most comfortable.

Pete

I got the RCBS tool shortly after they came out. My experience with it was that it was designed for someone with bear paws for hands. RCBS confirmed that the designer was a really big guy. Unless they have a redesigned “Gen 2”, I would not suggest buying one unless you have an opportunity to try it out.

Great exercise

I got the RCBS tool shortly after they came out. My experience with it was that it was designed for someone with bear paws for hands. RCBS confirmed that the designer was a really big guy. Unless they have a redesigned “Gen 2”, I would not suggest buying one unless you have an opportunity to try it out.

Guess they were built for Iron Men, eh?

Pete

The problem arose

squesse your primer seater with your hand not your thumb.

when a primer got sideways and when I pushed on the hannle, it ignited! In an instant the priming tool was dismembered and 90 odd primers went off like fireworks. Third degree burns on my left thumb and a bruise on my chest. Fortunately, there is no pain with third degree burns but the skin on my left thumb is still very thin and easy to cut or scrape. It was my fault! The burns were a lovely scalloped shape. I suppose exactly the same shape as the flame coming out of that primer. We survived it.

Pete

when a primer got sideways and when i pushed on the hannle, it ignited! In an instant the priming tool was dismembered and 90 odd primers went off like fireworks. Third degree burns on my left thumb and a bruise on my chest. Fortunately, there is no pain with third degree burns but the skin on my left thumb is still very thin and easy to cut or scrape. It was my fault! The burns were a lovely scalloped shape. I suppose exactly the same shape as the flame coming out of that primer. We survived it.

Pete
soe yrs ago i was at union county wekert and a denist had same thing happen he was hit with a number primers and fe went thru his aopy havent seen him since. Dont know.

The primer getting sideways in the original Lee priming tools is what causes the issues. After a lot of use, the I.D. of the plastic tray that the ram operates in gets enlarged from the ram. I make a small brass sleeve...basically a liner. Problem fixed.

Doing it correctly by feel removes the tolerances
present between the primer cup and case.

Last edited:
Back