Choices, choices.

N

newtron63h

Im looking at buying another rimfire rifle. Ive narrowed my options down to about 3.

Im considering:

Savage MK II BTVLSS(im left handed)

CZ Varmint Evolution starting with the .22LR barrel, and .17HMR later

10/22 Target

My first question is which would you choose first?

2nd question is should I buy a 10/22T or buy a used 10/22 basic and upgrade it? Which will give me the most bang for my buck?

And in all honesty I plan on owning a 10/22 AND one of the other 2........I just need help deciding which.

Thanks for your input.

what'cha want the new rifle for? Or to do? If it's simply "because I want another" (which I totally get), then I suggest the 10/22. NOT the 10/22T. I think you'll have a lot more fun dressing up the standard 10/22 than buying one sorta dressy from the git-go.

However, if it was me, I'd buy a vintage Anschutz. They are amazing, at least IMO.

Its going to be my target shooter. My 9422 shoots fantastic but its not ideal for benchrest because of the lever action and its slightly irritating loading the tube. So the new one will be target/plinking with detachable mag, with the 9422 taking hunting/plinking duties. And also just because I like all 3 prospects.....and with ammo prices, and the general additional cost I dont want a centerfire yet......although I do love the idea of the T/C Dimension.

Im also wondering how long its going to take Ruger to put out a Takedown Target.......heavy barrel, upgraded trigger assy in the breakdown package. I think that should be called the Covert to go alongside the Target and Tactical models.

It should also be said that im not looking to spend more than 500-600 before scope.

Thanks for the input guys, Im really wanting to stick with one of the 3 I mentioned.

You mentioned that this rifle would be your "target shooter". Expand on that a bit in terms of what kind of target, or better yet, what is the accuracy requirement?

Good question Wilbur. Im not talking about SERIOUS competitive accuracy. Im talking about very accurate plinking, maybe some fairly informal competition at a local range. My 9422 can consistently (95%) hit a 20oz soda bottle at 100+ yards(the other 5% might very well be in myself). I want that good or better(preferably better) but in a more conducive target package than a lever gun, such as bolt or autoloader.

Like I said I plan on having a 10/22 AND one of the other 2, Im just wanting opinions on which to get first. I also understand that the CZ is very new so there isnt going to be much feedback available, but the others have been around plenty long enough. Also I am left-handed which is why the CZ appeals to me being an ambidextrous "thumbholeish" type stock(the bolt being on the right side does not bother me), and the savage model number is for the left-handed thumbhole stock.

My idea is to spend 500-600 on the rifle itself and another 50-100 on a scope.

none of the rifles you listed above would be considered accurate enough for any real paper work. You might get lucky and get a good barrel on one of them, but it still wont shoot like your thinking it should. it takes big money to make a 22lr shoot well.
Now if your just wanting to shoot match sticks and stuff, i would choose the CZ. I think they have the best feel and look. I really like the CZ line of rifles. Lee

I wont attempt to tell you which rifle to buy. But if you are left handed and shoot a semi-auto like a 10-22 then you better always wear good shooting glass because you will get powder blown back in your face. Just not a good choice for a LH shooter IMHO.

I'm left handed & have owned my Ruger 10-22 for 23 years. I enjoy it.

I have never had much powder blow back. I do wear safety glasses.

I would recommend 10-22s to any left handers out there.

For other than a plinking or squirrel rifle, I wouldn't recommend a 10/22 to anyone, right or left handed. I have two. GREAT plinking rifles. GREAT rifle for squirrel and other small vermin.

The problem comes when you start to think that they are precision rifles. They are just good enough that they will suck you into spending a great deal of money on them. But, there are design limitations that bring on diminishing returns very quickly. There are problems with the way the barrel attaches (clamped), the short tenon makes it worse. It being an auto brings in the moving mass of the bolt plus limitations in ignition and chamber design.

All in all, it is amazing that it does as well as it does, but it's never going to be competitive with the bolt action target rifles.

As far as match shooting "ARA".

My CZ 453 dose around 1500. (Cost $550)

My Ruger 10-22 with Green Mountain barrel & Viquortsen (SP?) trigger scores 1500. (Cost $525)

My Kimber 84G out shoots all with several 1900+ scores. " Cost the least at $400."

Im looking at buying another rimfire rifle. Ive narrowed my options down to about 3.

Im considering:

Savage MK II BTVLSS(im left handed)

CZ Varmint Evolution starting with the .22LR barrel, and .17HMR later

10/22 Target

My first question is which would you choose first?

2nd question is should I buy a 10/22T or buy a used 10/22 basic and upgrade it? Which will give me the most bang for my buck?

And in all honesty I plan on owning a 10/22 AND one of the other 2........I just need help deciding which.

Thanks for your input.

I wouldn't choose any of those for target work. Get a nice used match rifle like an Anschutz, Kimber 82G, H&R 12, Win 52, Rem37, Martini International, Etc....Etc.... There are lots of good deals out there.

I bought this old Martini for $200 out the door!
7681992578_16e13c879f_b.jpg

50yd Target
7563803038_a237f6b9c0_b.jpg

100yd Target
7219629442_436cd87f85_b.jpg

Last edited:
Ok so I guess I need to make my intentions a little more clear. Im not looking for a serious target shooter, any target shooting will be recreational/some folks pulling out their very accurate squirrel guns and having a good friendly competition. Im not spending $1000, much less 5k, on this so I KNOW its not going to be anything amazing. What I am looking for is a very accurate bolt or auto-loader .22LR(preferably one of the 3 ive mentioned for price and function reasons) that is no more than $500-600.

Im not looing for a match shooter, and I definitely want repeating action so no single shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
fwiw,
I'd concur with most of the advice you are getting. It seems, respectively, that you want an accomplice and not advice. I've been there, however, realize you are pigeonholing yourself before you spend the money. There are better rifles for the money. I'd personally consider that CZ as well...fwiw & imho

Regards, Matt.

Last edited by a moderator:
The way I see it, im not getting very much advice on my actual question, mostly alternatives to my proposal. Maybe my proposal isnt ideal.......thats fine give me multiple options and why they are better/why my options arent as good. Ive had a little feedback about the 10/22, a couple people including yourself have nods towards the CZ but nobody has mentioned the Savage. Its hard for me to tell if this is because of a lack of experience with the Savage so nobody knows, or if its a terrible rifle so people are discounting it immediately. Im going to make my own decision, but im looking for more opinions and advice so that I can make a more educated decision. And the people throwing out a wildcard isnt helping much because thats 1 person so their example of that rifle might be one of the best where 95% of the rest that were/are made are junk, im looking more for a concensus.

I really do appreciate all of your opinions so far. Thanks

Back