Cheap diy Barrel Flush setup

First, thanks for the compliments guys. As for flow, I had it very low. I can post a video of the full flow. It fills up the pan too quickly and I’ve been avoiding making a new pan setup that flows back into the reservoir. I need to do it

take the screw and the bushing off, plenty of flow.
( do a search of jackie's chambering)

Retired, I hate to show what a DA I am but I don't understand what you mean by "Take the screw and the bushing off, plenty of flow."

Thanks,

Gene Beggs

Last edited:
Gene, he is

Retired, I hate to show what a DA I am but I don't understand what you mean by "Take the screw and the bushing off, plenty of flow."

Thanks,

Gene Beggs
talking about removing the pilot from the reamer. It works fine as you do get a lot more flow by the reamer.

Richard

I use either a floating reamer holder or go old school and hold the reamer with a small wrench and push with a super special carriage bolt in the tailstock. Removing the pilot would be a mess for me. I have taken pilots in the past and ground and polished grooves for oil. Works fine too

What rotating coupling are you using?

A free one from an old fire truck roll. Not made for high rpm or pressures associated with this. Time to upgrade to a 500rpm, 1000+psi coupler for $75ish. Another video coming after upgrades (#3) to make it easier for others. I enjoy testing, but oil is always a pain due to the mess

A free one from an old fire truck roll. Not made for high rpm or pressures associated with this. Time to upgrade to a 500rpm, 1000+psi coupler for $75ish. Another video coming after upgrades (#3) to make it easier for others. I enjoy testing, but oil is always a pain due to the mess

I have a Dueblin on my unit (and it looks like the coupling in the video), but I have it on good authority that a Horror Fraught (Harbor Freight) air hose rotary coupling is just about as good, and at less than $5 not at all painful to replace if it does give up the ghost. (In fact they're cheap enough to have a spare on hand...).

GsT

Thanks Gene. I’ll check them out. Trying to keep it budget. Better hose is also needed. Not sure how long air hose will work with cutting fluid at high pressures

i do not use a flush, just oil dribble from my pump.
there is a broughton 5r in my lathe right now with a fresh cut chamber.
why would the flush not work...just 5 instead of 4 grooves. a little smaller than each of the 4.

How's that work out with 5R barrels ??
Matt P

when i started this project i had some concerns from posts here.
as luck would have it, the only issues were related to the operator.
in the end i think all is well, i did the entire job to kelbly's specs,
but i am waiting on the receiver to check the fit.
a 338 edge that is 4"+ with a 300 gr berger.
ptg reamer is 6 sided.
250 rpm, constant dribble lube,
look up jackie's method

What I meant was how do you deal with chatter in 5R barrels without the pilot ??
Matt P

when i started this project i had some concerns from posts here.
as luck would have it, the only issues were related to the operator.
in the end i think all is well, i did the entire job to kelbly's specs,
but i am waiting on the receiver to check the fit.
a 338 edge that is 4"+ with a 300 gr berger.
ptg reamer is 6 sided.
250 rpm, constant dribble lube,
look up jackie's method

If that method works for you that's great, but I found without the pilot there was still a small amount of chatter in the throat, now does it make a difference ?? I really don't know but as Jackie always says, double check the final product which I always do, and found the chatter in the throat, couldn't feel it while chambering but it was on the dial indicator, which doesn't lie.
Matt P

Back