Cheap diy Barrel Flush setup

maybe you should read jackie's process and then check your setup.
i am a home hobby rifle builder. i have done several this way with no issues.
question, how can the throat chatter if the much bigger dia body is
guiding the reamer ?

If that method works for you that's great, but I found without the pilot there was still a small amount of chatter in the throat, now does it make a difference ?? I really don't know but as Jackie always says, double check the final product which I always do, and found the chatter in the throat, couldn't feel it while chambering but it was on the dial indicator, which doesn't lie.
Matt P

maybe you should read jackie's process and then check your setup.
i am a home hobby rifle builder. i have done several this way with no issues.
question, how can the throat chatter if the much bigger dia body is
guiding the reamer ?

Even with a pilot, the reamer pushes away from the land it is cutting while there is no land opposite it in an odd land/groove barrel. It's basic tool deflection. In a typical 4 groove barrel, the pilot is against a land opposite of the other side of the reamer as well as the opposite land being cut simutaneously. I've been able to minimize the effect but not completely do away with it. If you look at the throat with a bore scope, of a 4 and 5 groove barrel otherwise cut the same way, it's very apparent. The good thing is, they still seem to shoot just fine.

I think the only way to completely make it go away would be to grind the throat and leade.

Last edited:
do you think the 6 edge reamer may have minimized the issue ?

Even with a pilot, the reamer pushes away from the land it is cutting while there is no land opposite it in an odd land/groove barrel. It's basic tool deflection. In a typical 4 groove barrel, the pilot is against a land opposite of the other side of the reamer as well as the opposite land being cut simutaneously. I've been able to minimize the effect but not completely do away with it. If you look at the throat with a bore scope, of a 4 and 5 groove barrel otherwise cut the same way, it's very apparent. The good thing is, they still seem to shoot just fine.

I think the only way to completely make it go away would be to grind the throat and leade.

do you think the 6 edge reamer may have minimized the issue ?

IMO, no. The only way I can see is if you can have opposing edges contacting a land simultaneously. If the lands are wide enough, like in some 3 groove barrels, it's not an issue, ime. The 5's are a bit different animal.

Still makes sense to my to leave the pilot to center the chamber on the bore. It seems the body of the reamer can wander if the pre drilled chamber (if used) isn’t centered. Even if it is, wouldn’t the reamer have to be equally sharp and cut the same amount of material from all sides to keep it centered? Add the pilot, and this adds a centering device to fix those errors.

Still makes sense to my to leave the pilot to center the chamber on the bore. It seems the body of the reamer can wander if the pre drilled chamber (if used) isn’t centered. Even if it is, wouldn’t the reamer have to be equally sharp and cut the same amount of material from all sides to keep it centered? Add the pilot, and this adds a centering device to fix those errors.

That is why you should step bore after drilling. Then it will be concentric. Then the reamer will go where you want it to.

Copy. Thanks. Just read Jackie’s method from 10 ish years ago. I need a smaller boring bar to make it work

Back