chamber problem

D

double s

I just had a 22-250 rem re-chambered to 22-250 ack. imp. . the gunsmith used a standard one piece manson reamer that I had purchased about 20 years ago and the ack go gage as well.. the reamer has chambered about 5 barrels before this one. I got the gun back loaded some new 22-250 casings with a 55 gr bullet and a load that was 1 gr. under max. fired 5 shots with no problems at all. then I re-sized the casings with 22-250 ack.imp. reading full length dies, trimed the casings to .020 shorter than specs that I achieved using my Sinclair chamber length gage, then loaded a med hot load for the ack. about 2.5 grains under max. I had the bullet set back with about .015 from the riflings . I then fired the first round thru the chrony and it was right close to what it should have been for velocity. I went to open the bolt and it would not unlock. I had to beat it open with a hammer handle and had a hell of a time getting the bolt open to eject the casing. and this happened with all 5 rounds, so I started again this time with a medium ack. load.. I got the same results. then I went to the bottom of the load chart with velocitys slower than the standard 22-250 and then I had no problems opening the bolt and ejecting the casing. but what the heck good is this I gained nothing by re-chambering to ack. can anyone tell me what the problem is. I explained this to my gunsmith and he said bring it back and he would look at it but has no clue for now.... so what is the problem??????? sam

I thought this was the gunsmiths corner. I asked a question about a problem I have ,47 people read about it and not one darn response. it seems there more readers than gunsmiths. oh well.

ackleys

if your brass comes out of chamber smooth with no appendeges....your chambers o.k....if you have owned 5-22-250 acks. before this...and never witnessed this problem...with same loads......i would guess you got a tite barrel.
OMHO
bill larson

. I went to open the bolt and it would not unlock. I had to beat it open with a hammer handle and had a hell of a time getting the bolt open to eject the casing. and this happened with all 5 rounds, so I started again this time with a medium ack. load.. I got the same results. then I went to the bottom of the load chart with velocitys slower than the standard 22-250 and then I had no problems opening the bolt and ejecting the casing. but what the heck good is this I gained nothing by re-chambering to ack. can anyone tell me what the problem is. I explained this to my gunsmith and he said bring it back and he would look at it but has no clue for now.... so what is the problem??????? sam

Beating the bolt open by beating on the bolt handle on a stuck case is not good. Use the bare end of your cleaning t rod, insert it in the muzzle, and peck on the case while opening the bolt by hand. Beating on the bolt handle is a good way to break an extractor and can cause other damages.

Using a cleaning rod in this method can be very dangerous. DO NOT use this method for a stuck loaded round and MAKE SURE you remove the cleaning rod when finished. The best idea to make sure to remove the cleaning rod is to concentrate on NEVER taking your hand off the rod handle!!

Does a freshly resized case chamber and extrac correctly? How about fresh case and just bullet seated ( no powder or primer, saftey factor) does that cycle ok? Is it possible that the neck thickness of your brass is too much for the new chamber? What does it feel like when closing bolt on new round? Is there a fair amount of effort needed above that of a empty chamber? You may need to ream the necks out or increase the neck dia. portion of the chamber. Random musings.

off the top of my head ...you got lazy.
you assumed that since you had done 5 before, that this was no different and jumped right in with two feet and near top end loads....

new bbl...work up loads.....plain and simple...

mike in co

So, it only happened after you resized the cases? Only thing I can think of, is the resizing put The Dreaded Doughnut into the case necks, and the bullet was seated into the doughnut, making the neck too big. Measure the necks before and after shooting, might have to turn the necks thinner. Or, you got some mixed powder somehow, between tests.

OK...before you make any decisions...measure a fired case that had problems extracting, and compare it to the resized case dimensions especially at the web...make sure you are using NEW cases in your new chamber...don't assume used/fired cases that have been resized will work..ALWAYS start with NEW brass...

Eddie in Texas

GUYS ..I JUST DO NOT BUY THAT IT IS A CASE SIZE ISSUE...
he had to beat the bolt open..that is pressure in the case expanding it beyond normal....FIVE TIMES IN A ROW
that is too hot of a load....

mike in co

Just for grins, measure the diameter of the neck of one of your fired cases, and tell us how big it is, and what the same dimension on a loaded round is, and same thing at the shoulder, and .3 up from the head. Can you post a picture of one of the cases that was so hard to get out of the chamber? If not, do they have any marks or abrasions? Is there a bright spot on the case head where the ejector was? What about the primers? Did they show signs of excess pressure? Not having the pieces in front of us, we are at considerable disadvantage. Who made the barrel. You might want to slug it, and check the land diameter, but if your smith was able to use a solid pilot reamer on it, I would guess that it is not too tight. Does anyone that you know have a bore scope? Taking a look at the chamber might be a good idea. When you resize one of the cases, do you see signs that there might be a problem with the finish of the body part of the chamber?

if your brass comes out of chamber smooth with no appendeges....your chambers o.k....if you have owned 5-22-250 acks. before this...and never witnessed this problem...with same loads......i would guess you got a tite barrel.
OMHO
bill larson

I said there were 5 chambers cut with this reamer. I never said they were mine. that was on the log with the reamer. I don't know how the other guns turned out they were not mine and different gunsmiths done them. I don't remember who I lent the reamer to in the past 25 years. i'm just telling you the the problem i'm having now with this particular gun from this particular gunsmith.

Beating the bolt open by beating on the bolt handle on a stuck case is not good. Use the bare end of your cleaning t rod, insert it in the muzzle, and peck on the case while opening the bolt by hand. Beating on the bolt handle is a good way to break an extractor and can cause other damages.

Using a cleaning rod in this method can be very dangerous. DO NOT use this method for a stuck loaded round and MAKE SURE you remove the cleaning rod when finished. The best idea to make sure to remove the cleaning rod is to concentrate on NEVER taking your hand off the rod handle!!

i'm not stupid, but you could have pecked all darn day and it would.not have come open. i'm telling you I beat on it I thought I was going to break the bolt handle off....it was tight,very tight.and you method would not have worked. besides if it would have broke I would have junked the whole darn thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does a freshly resized case chamber and extrac correctly? How about fresh case and just bullet seated ( no powder or primer, saftey factor) does that cycle ok? Is it possible that the neck thickness of your brass is too much for the new chamber? What does it feel like when closing bolt on new round? Is there a fair amount of effort needed above that of a empty chamber? You may need to ream the necks out or increase the neck dia. portion of the chamber. Random musings.

if you don't fire it you can put that casing or loaded round or any case in and out locking and unlocking the bolt and ejecting it as many time as you want. but fire it and you screwed, it wont come out without beating it out.

OK...before you make any decisions...measure a fired case that had problems extracting, and compare it to the resized case dimensions especially at the web...make sure you are using NEW cases in your new chamber...don't assume used/fired cases that have been resized will work..ALWAYS start with NEW brass...

Eddie in Texas

it is new brass. I said that

Double s

You have a short fuse as evidenced by your need for an immediate answer.
Oh, and you have a die that isn't sizing your case properly.

it is a manson reamer in excellent condition. and reading dies for the 22-250 ack. imp. both full length and bushing neck dies.

i'm not stupid, but you could have pecked all darn day and it would.not have come open. i'm telling you I beat on it I thought I was going to break the bolt handle off....it was tight,very tight.and you method would not have worked. besides if it would have broke I would have junked the whole darn thing.

Well I don't know!
When you have been around shooting as long as Jerry has you will heed his advice.

Is your reamer stamped 22-250 Ackley Improved or 22-250 Improved?
As stated earlier, your excessive pressure will be evident around the case head .3 up.
Have you blown any primers?
Jim

Back