chamber problem

Bullet pinched in Case Neck on Loading?

trimed the casings to .020 shorter than specs that I achieved using my Sinclair chamber length gage,
1.You may want to double check the trim length. 2. Does the neck have enough clearance to expand on firing? This may raise pressures also. 3. What powder are you using? Some lots may be hotter than others. Edit Add >
As with the other members of the improved family of cartridges, cases for
the 22-250 must be fireformed before it can be reloaded in its improved configuration.
With most cartridges, this process drastically reduces velocity and
accuracy. Unlike some other chamberings, the 22-250 Improved has a reputation
for giving very good accuracy when fireforming. Velocity usually drops by
only 100 to 150 fps from that of the standard 22-250, leaving a fairly potent
cartridge for casual varminting. After this initial fireforming, the improved case
can be reloaded like any other.
From > http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/sierra22-250ailoads.pdf What would happen if the powder charge used to fire form was for the Improved cartridge? Would this bulge the web area? Just asking.

Last edited:
All Ackley cases reduce in lenght when formed correctly, to have to trim a formed ackley case, so it is below 'Max' lenght? is odd in my book, unless i read this incorrectly, some ackley cases reduce .060" on forming.
The problem is pressure related, either case fit, chamber dimentions relative to sizeing dies or poor case forming is your trouble.
Best to do some measuring
Jim

Here we have a poor description of a problem, no pictures, no meaningful dimensions and a lippy poster. I don't see this one getting resolved any time soon. Regards, Bill

So let me get this straight.........You fire a round in a newly barrelled rifle, and you need to "hammer" the bolt open. So you proceed to fire another round with the same results.........................AND THEN YOU FIRE THREE MORE!!!.....Yikes!

I had this happen on a 223 Ackley I had built. Extremely hard opening bolt, but I didn't need to use a hammer.

First thing I did was pull the loads apart and check powder type and weight. All was OK
Then I did a chamber cast with Cerosafe to prove the chamber dimensions.
Then I measured the loaded cases to see how they should fit.
I found my reamer was slightly "tight neck" and my brass was "slightly thick neck".........The combination created a tight neck situation that increased pressure greatly.

I turned the necks on a few cases with no other issues. Since I didn't want to turn necks for this rifle, I returnedv the reamer with the chamber cast to the reamer maker and it was replaced with a proper sized neck reamer, which I used to open up the neck on my rifle.,

Never another issue.

Be sure to use a quality high pressure grease on those locking lugs. You don't want a false positive on bolt lift because of lugs gauling.

Be careful out there!

Back