Building custom benchrest rifle from savage 110: caliber and twist ?

danyboy

Hi everybody,
I am new on this forum and could use help in making a decision. To make a long story short, been mostly a target shoorter-small game hunter/reloader. Last year, got into precision shooting with a team that trains at the range. I had a used Mauser 98 in 22-250 but realised I wasn't 'in the race' with the other shooters as far as equipment and skills.
I found a Savage 110 action but haven't decided yet what caliber was best for benchrest precision shooting (ain't many competition events around) to start with. I live in flatlands and the wind is often active.
Question: Among all the possible calibers for benchrest shooting, what would be a good choice for target only and what twist would be best for bullet choice ?
Thanks,
danyboy

Benchrest shooting comes in short range (100-200-300 yard) Score or Group, midrange 600 yard and long range 1000 yard. There are different recomendations for each.

go to a shootin match,,,,

there is no better place to see what is working and winning ,,,trade that savage 110 action off and get a used benchrest gun from Bob White (or some other reputable person involved in true benchrest comp. ,,,either long or short range) you will be dollar$ ahead and have a gun that not only shoots well but functions smoothly and doesnt disturb its self at the bench,,,,get something with a "unversaal bolt face (440/478) that will accept PPC and BR based ctgs as well as .308 based ctgs,,,,dont buy anything untill you talk to lots of shooter that really do compete on a National level (NBRSA/IBS),,,good luck,,,,Roger

Priceless Advice !

there is no better place to see what is working and winning ,,,trade that savage 110 action off and get a used benchrest gun from Bob White (or some other reputable person involved in true benchrest comp. ,,,either long or short range) you will be dollar$ ahead and have a gun that not only shoots well but functions smoothly and doesnt disturb its self at the bench,,,,get something with a "unversaal bolt face (440/478) that will accept PPC and BR based ctgs as well as .308 based ctgs,,,,dont buy anything untill you talk to lots of shooter that really do compete on a National level (NBRSA/IBS),,,good luck,,,,Roger

Right on! :)

Gene Beggs

benchrest custom rifle

I'll be shooting mostly at 100 yards. Being in Canada, USA homeland security politics makes it almost impossible to import gun parts now so, never mind ordering a whole rifle from the states.

I'll be shooting mostly at 100 yards. Being in Canada, USA homeland security politics makes it almost impossible to import gun parts now so, never mind ordering a whole rifle from the states.

I'm quite sure Bob White at Shooters Corner can ship parts and complete rifles to Canada. Give him a call. He always has a good inventory to choose from. Be a lot easier than trying to build a benchrest rifle on a Savage action. The fact that Jewell triggers are not available for Savage actions would be reason enough for me to look elsewhere. It's hard to beat a Kelbly Stolle Panda. I know Kelbly can export to Canada. Just trying to help. FWIW :)

Gene Beggs

If you definitely plan on using the 110 action, assuming it has the .473 bolt,, I would have a custom barrel built about 22" in 6 br Norma 13 twist and shoot 68-80 gr bullies.

benchrest custom rifles

Thanks but you guys have no idea how hard it has become to import gun parts and guns from the states. Appreciate the input but will stick to advice and equipment from this side of the border. We can't even import scopes anymore.

Thanks but you guys have no idea how hard it has become to import gun parts and guns from the states. Appreciate the input but will stick to advice and equipment from this side of the border. We can't even import scopes anymore.

If it wasn't for the 2d Amendment in The United States Constitution, we would be in the same position.

It would be nice if you could order a Barrel from Shilen in 6BR for your Savage. It's a simple matter of screwing it in and setting the headspace.

That and the proper loading equipment would allow you to shoot quite well in your Matches.

What is available in Canada?

Have you tried posting to the Canadian BR site....????
http://benchrest.ca/

They are great people. I shoot with several of them at WWCCA. Yes, there are Canadian Benchrest shooters. They cross the border frequently.

Last week of May. You will find about 12-20 Canucks near Akron, OH. Along with about 250-350 shooters from 16 different countries...
At Kelbly's Range. For the Super Shoot.....

custom rifle

I can get a 6BR pre-fit barrel for my savage and plan on adjusting it myself with a go and nogo gauge. Just wasn't sure about this caliber since it can get pretty windy here at times. Tought may be .308" would be better . I reload and have been for a while and dies and components aren't too hard to find.

Get in touch with Rob MacLennan. His barrels are as good as anyone's on either side of the border! He lives up in Wyebridge, Ontario. His phone number is 705-526-2159.

Go to www.benchrest.ca and get signed up there.
It is the Canadian version of this forum.
Plenty of guns and equipment listed there also.
There is a good group of shooter who will gladly help you out to get started in this game.
As a side note, Rob Mclennen is no longer producing barrels, he has sold his equipment to another Canadian shooter.

canadian barrels

Rob MacClennan (sp?) used to make barrels in Canada, so did Gaillard in Sherbrook, PQ

On another topic, you would have thought most of Hollywood would have moved to Canada years ago due to your countries anti gun policies. Goes to show you just how big a bunch of windbags they are...money trumps(no pun intended) ideology all the time!!!

Nothing really wrong with a Savage

There is a lad here who built a Savage 30 BR Bench Gun a few years ago with a Savage BR stock and all. I sold him a Rock Creek barrel and it shoots as well as the rest of them. It's what lies ahead of the bolt face that is most important to accuracy, in the end, after the components in the case are matched to what is ahead of the bolt face. Better, nicer, more convenient; sure, there are all of those things with rifle components but, as I said in the beginning - - - -.

Pete

Gaillard

Gaillard was out west, not Sherbrooke and last I heard of him, got into a bad divorce and lost some of his precious machines.

Rob MacClennan (sp?) used to make barrels in Canada, so did Gaillard in Sherbrook, PQ

On another topic, you would have thought most of Hollywood would have moved to Canada years ago due to your countries anti gun policies. Goes to show you just how big a bunch of windbags they are...money trumps(no pun intended) ideology all the time!!!

It's not that any cartridge is out of style but rather the percentage of winning rifles vs non-winning rifles. Currently, the 6PPC leads the pack in group shooting. I don't know what leads in score shooting but a lot of folks shoot a 30 caliber of some sort because of the larger bullet hole.

I don't know of anybody that shoots a Savage action in registered competition.

Back