Building custom benchrest rifle from savage 110: caliber and twist ?

Damn Shame

Thanks but you guys have no idea how hard it has become to import gun parts and guns from the states. Appreciate the input but will stick to advice and equipment from this side of the border. We can't even import scopes anymore.

Danyboy, I know how hard exporting has become. It's ridiculous! :mad:

With the election of President Donald Trump, we here in the USA have renewed hope for the future of our firearms freedoms. Maybe things will improve now that we have a true American in the White House.

It has been said that guns have but two enemies; rust and politicians.

Best of luck to you and your countrymen. Vote and encourage others to vote freedom first.

Gene Beggs

Good Advice

If you definitely plan on using the 110 action, assuming it has the .473 bolt,, I would have a custom barrel built about 22" in 6 br Norma 13 twist and shoot 68-80 gr bullies.

Try to get acquainted with those that are active benchrest shooters. Find out who the best BR gunsmiths are and you'll be in good company.

Gene Beggs

Building custom rifle

If it wasn't for the 2d Amendment in The United States Constitution, we would be in the same position.

It would be nice if you could order a Barrel from Shilen in 6BR for your Savage. It's a simple matter of screwing it in and setting the headspace.

That and the proper loading equipment would allow you to shoot quite well in your Matches.

What is available in Canada?

Canada will let me import guns and gun parts but the usa won't let any American individuals or dealers export them. You can test: show up at your local post office and try to ship out of your country (to any country) any box declared containing gun parts and hear what the clerk will tell you.
I've thought of 6BR before but nnot sure how well it behaves in the wind

Last edited:
Canada will let me import guns and gun parts but the usa won't let any American individuals or dealers export them. You can test: show up at your local post office and try to ship out of your country (to any country) any box declared containing gun parts and hear what the clerk will tell you.
I've thought of 6BR before but nnot sure how well it behaves in the wind

I am a big Savage fan and have multiple. .308 bull barrels. While it is an excellent accurate cartridge, it is very over kill for 100 yard shooting. It kicks too much,, a 6 BR is very enjoyable to shoot as far as kick and handling.

My Savage 6 BR barrels have a 8 twist that shoots long heavy bullets mainly the 107 Sierra match king. This set up will buck the wind way better than a .308. I'm sure you could have a .308 load match it but it would be with very expensive bullets,, and some kick.

It is hard to find a .223 bolt head for a long action,, if you could find one, 223 is what I like,, they shoot tiny groups, and hey placing shots according to what the wind is doing must be mastered!

I am a big Savage fan and have multiple. .308 bull barrels. While it is an excellent accurate cartridge, it is very over kill for 100 yard shooting. It kicks too much,, a 6 BR is very enjoyable to shoot as far as kick and handling.

My Savage 6 BR barrels have a 8 twist that shoots long heavy bullets mainly the 107 Sierra match king. This set up will buck the wind way better than a .308. I'm sure you could have a .308 load match it but it would be with very expensive bullets,, and some kick.

It is hard to find a .223 bolt head for a long action,, if you could find one, 223 is what I like,, they shoot tiny groups, and hey placing shots according to what the wind is doing must be mastered!

I hear you. A fellow shooter with a savage setup in .223 let me shoot it yesterday. I was chewing the same hole at 100 yards. Boy does it feel good !

Danyboy, I know how hard exporting has become. It's ridiculous! :mad:

With the election of President Donald Trump, we here in the USA have renewed hope for the future of our firearms freedoms. Maybe things will improve now that we have a true American in the White House.

It has been said that guns have but two enemies; rust and politicians.

Best of luck to you and your countrymen. Vote and encourage others to vote freedom first.

Gene Beggs

Even though I am not american and can't vote down there, I was so relieved to see Trump win instead of the anti gun Clinton because if she had won, I am sure we would have had repercussions up here. Bad enough we're stuck with boy king Trudeau till 2019 . He is curently working in secret trying to brew some nre gun law concerning restricted guns and all semi-automatics. Hope this new law falls through.

It's not that any cartridge is out of style but rather the percentage of winning rifles vs non-winning rifles. Currently, the 6PPC leads the pack in group shooting. I don't know what leads in score shooting but a lot of folks shoot a 30 caliber of some sort because of the larger bullet hole.

I don't know of anybody that shoots a Savage action in registered competition.

A 74 year old ex-competitor at the range told me once that the brand of action (trigger is important though)
didn't really matter and that the barrel did most of the job. He may have been wrong but it made sens to me.

Custom benchrest rifle

I'm quite sure Bob White at Shooters Corner can ship parts and complete rifles to Canada. Give him a call. He always has a good inventory to choose from. Be a lot easier than trying to build a benchrest rifle on a Savage action. The fact that Jewell triggers are not available for Savage actions would be reason enough for me to look elsewhere. It's hard to beat a Kelbly Stolle Panda. I know Kelbly can export to Canada. Just trying to help. FWIW :)

Gene Beggs

Bob White just emailed me : they can't ship guns to Canada cause of US rules.

Back