BIG difference in LT-32 lots

Has anyone else done tests with lot #10 of LT-32? I have been shooting lot #4, and recently got 24# of lot #10. On weight, lot# 10 took a full number more on my Jones P/M. Lot 4, 51 clicks= lot 10, 52 clicks. Today, I shot both lots over a chronograph. It took 2.5 more numbers, not clicks, to get the same velocity. Lot#4, 51 clicks= 3362fps. Lot#10, 53.5 clicks= 3370fps. All numbers were comparable to this example. I know there are differences from lot to lot in all powders, but this is by far the biggest difference I have ever seen.

Has anyone else done tests with lot #10 of LT-32? I have been shooting lot #4, and recently got 24# of lot #10. On weight, lot# 10 took a full number more on my Jones P/M. Lot 4, 51 clicks= lot 10, 52 clicks. Today, I shot both lots over a chronograph. It took 2.5 more numbers, not clicks, to get the same velocity. Lot#4, 51 clicks= 3362fps. Lot#10, 53.5 clicks= 3370fps. All numbers were comparable to this example. I know there are differences from lot to lot in all powders, but this is by far the biggest difference I have ever seen.

Yep yep. That's pretty bad.
I've not shot a kernel of Lt-32, but I ALWAYS chronograph the new lots of all the powders I shoot to compare them with others, and they vary greatly sometimes. I've had lots of N133 vary 200 fps!!! That's like the difference between a .223 and a .22-250!

i just had lot 1030315 5367 run 200 fps slower than 1032812 5060 of h4198 today.....
it did shoot well
the world is strange

Ain't no justice is there Mark. As long as powder manufacturers keep using varied woods as the cellulose sorce they will never be able to produce lot-to-lot consistency? At the ourptrageous prices now they could afford to do better.

Powder prices have jumped to about double in the last 2-3 years and their cost to produce are about the same as earlier. Cotton is probably the most consistent cellulose source and when Norma used it they had much better consistency than the others but their prices were higher.

Trouble is, we benchrest shooters expect top quality but we are so small a market segment we don't have much influence. The best current solution is to buy a large quantity and learn its characteristics if you can afford it!

One of our fellow shooters bought about 30 jugs of LT-32 when it first came out. Now he is stuck recovering from shoulder surgery and can't shoot!!

Ah Benchrest Shooters,

If we had every kernel the same on powder and our bullets perfect in weight/balance, our barrels frozen, groves just right and the bore the right diameter we want and lapped just perfect, our stock the right balance, the bags filled with select sand from a Genie.

We still would shoot 5 shots in the record target and have 1 out and blame it on the guy on the next bench because he let out a big fart just as you pulled the trigger.

All this is why most of us are in this sport, striving for perfection on everything we do for some of us clean primer pockets, don’t clean primer pockets, weight our power drop or just go by clicks. I bet most of us think we can put the powder measure on click 52 and it will drop the same every time, I don’t think the majority of us can, due to the human error of lifting the lever up and down the same each and every time.

This is a sport that perfection does not always come every time, it is a tinkering sport to strive for perfection, you ask a question and get a ton of answers for the same questions that a lot of the answers can work for you but until you try it and work at it to find out it may be that the 51 clicks would work instead of the 52.

Working in your gun handling and follow through when you pull the trigger etc may be more important than your load as a lot of us really may have that good load and have other issues to make it work.

Not all barrels with shoot the same bullet and a lot of us only shoot 1 or 2 types of bullets and that new barrel you put on may not like either one. (Exception Ocock he can put a broom stick on his and still shoot small groups).

Go to a match, talk to other shooters, enjoy the time you are there because when you get home the general public you talk to does not care what you did and that you are having a powder problem, they might just think you were talking about what you do after taking a shower.

Now I will go back into the closet and see what dress to wear today, if I can only find the shoes to match.;)

Ah Benchrest Shooters,

If we had every kernel the same on powder and our bullets perfect in weight/balance, our barrels frozen, groves just right and the bore the right diameter we want and lapped just perfect, our stock the right balance, the bags filled with select sand from a Genie.

We still would shoot 5 shots in the record target and have 1 out and blame it on the guy on the next bench because he let out a big fart just as you pulled the trigger.

All this is why most of us are in this sport, striving for perfection on everything we do for some of us clean primer pockets, don’t clean primer pockets, weight our power drop or just go by clicks. I bet most of us think we can put the powder measure on click 52 and it will drop the same every time, I don’t think the majority of us can, due to the human error of lifting the lever up and down the same each and every time.

This is a sport that perfection does not always come every time, it is a tinkering sport to strive for perfection, you ask a question and get a ton of answers for the same questions that a lot of the answers can work for you but until you try it and work at it to find out it may be that the 51 clicks would work instead of the 52.

Working in your gun handling and follow through when you pull the trigger etc may be more important than your load as a lot of us really may have that good load and have other issues to make it work.

Not all barrels with shoot the same bullet and a lot of us only shoot 1 or 2 types of bullets and that new barrel you put on may not like either one. (Exception Ocock he can put a broom stick on his and still shoot small groups).

Go to a match, talk to other shooters, enjoy the time you are there because when you get home the general public you talk to does not care what you did and that you are having a powder problem, they might just think you were talking about what you do after taking a shower.

Now I will go back into the closet and see what dress to wear today, if I can only find the shoes to match.;)

Just remember Tom, "no whites before Memorial Day".

Big difference in LT32 lots

Whats the score lou? first I heard of this, and glad i stocked up when I could.
we were told by the company that lots that didn't make the burning rates as specified would be labeled 2015.
Gerry

For the folks that haven't shot LT30 in your 6ppc I strongly suggest you do. I would even go as far to say if you do, you will soon be selling your LT32. Lt30 is great powder. These of course are my opinions and feeling, and I am sure I am not alone. Try It!!! Lee

Mark,

I chronographed my lot 6 vs lot 10. I didn't even think about clicks but put in 29.1 grs of each. They averaged within 4 ft of each other.

Bart

Whats the score lou? first I heard of this, and glad i stocked up when I could.
we were told by the company that lots that didn't make the burning rates as specified would be labeled 2015.
Gerry

I heard this as well....I guess things didn't go as planned.:confused:

Big difference in LT 32 lots

FWIW currently i'm using lot 4 before that lot 2 They seemed to be very close about 25 ft variation. I have some lot 4 and lot 3 to be tested lot 1 tested good
I can say so far the two lots were very close.
I'm still wonder whats happened to LT 32 lots.
All iv'e heard so far is try LT 30. I thought that we were set on the new benchrest powder for a while.

Last edited:
I generally haven't shot much LT32, but the plan this year is to test as many configurations as I can under match conditions where I can compare results to shooters around me. Two weeks ago at Grand Junction I struggled through some equipment changes on my Bat (scope after 3 targets, barrel after three more). Once the brass settled down, I switched from 133 to a 27.9-ish load of my lot-10 LT32. Mediocre results, but showed signs of wanting to behave. 3 yardages, 3 bottom-10 finishes. On a hint from Larry White, I decided to make a radical change... finished the LV100 with a load of 29.2 grains of LT32 (54-3/4 clicks on my NJ), and I cranked in the seating depth by a large amount (at least .015 deeper than the previous load). Result: 1st place with a .2070 agg... best the gun has shot in 2 years.

Now comes the interesting part... drove from there to Springville Utah for the SPT/UNL10, and tried the same load in different rifles. The new Marsh rifle loved the hot load... no brass issues at all, and a first place finish the SPT200 and SPT grand. My Bat rail also loved the load BUT... it was destroying the cases in 2 firings. It was blowing the primers out of the cases and leaving them in the receiver. So, after 4 targets (and 40 pieces of brass), time again for a radical change (I had to borrow some brass to finish anyway). Cranked the measure back down to 50.5 clicks (about 27.6), ran the seating depth back out to full jam minus a thou or two. Finished with no brass issues, another small group sticker or two, and a solid 2nd in the UNL grand.

All three guns loved the hot load, but the pressure in the rail was way over the top. Didn't bother the shorter-barreled guns -- no loose primer-pocket issues at all there. Compared with my experiences with N133, the LT32 responded in a similar fashion to both charge and seating depth changes... meaning that I could make small adjustments as the targets indicated and keep all three guns shooting. Just have to watch each barrel for what it wants and signs of over-pressure.

Rod

Big difference in LT 32 lots

I'll check again lou.' wow your right on I stand corrected ''
Its lot 3 , thanks for the heads up on that i'll have to correct my notes too'''''

I also changed my post to make it correct. I have to test lot 3 '''

Last edited:
LT-32 now it's LT-30

What GerryM said:
All iv'e heard so far is try LT 30. I thought that we were set on the new benchrest powder for a while.
Please correct me here but LT-32 was supposed to be the cats meow for the PPC so we buy it and now we have all this powder, what changed?
Dave T

What GerryM said:

Please correct me here but LT-32 was supposed to be the cats meow for the PPC so we buy it and now we have all this powder, what changed?
Dave T

Nothing. Business as usual.:cool: This is Benchrest and that's the way it is done in this world. Anybody want to sell their worthless crappy Lt for 10 bucks a pound less than they paid for it?

Later
Dave

Last edited:
Lou Murdica

I never met him,but Lou Murdica is an action oriented Guy. He puts his money where his mouth is and gets results. Talk is cheap(Literally speaking),nothing ventured,nothing gained.

Something good is bound to come out of the efforts of people Like Lou Murdica. Thanks Lou,You are a Credit to the Sport.

Glenn

I never met him,but Lou Murdica is an action oriented Guy. He puts his money where his mouth is and gets results. Talk is cheap(Literally speaking),nothing ventured,nothing gained.

Something good is bound to come out of the efforts of people Like Lou Murdica. Thanks Lou,You are a Credit to the Sport.

Glenn

Totally Agree with Chism G Thank You Lou

Fred Martin

Back