BIG difference in LT-32 lots

Lt32 has always been an easy powder for me to tune and shoot. I think its great! The LT30 is also great. Its quite a bit faster and it builds pressure quicker than the 32. I like that in my ppc. I am not expert or really anyone who should be giving advise on how to shoot, but there really isn't any reason why someone cant make either of these two powders to group well in a ppc. If your having issues its not the powder. One thing to remember, you don't need the neck tension with LT like you do with n133. I use very little neck tension myself. just my findings. Lee

As long as powder manufacturers keep using varied woods as the cellulose sorce they will never be able to produce lot-to-lot consistency?

From what I have read cellulose suppliers are providing a higher quality cellulose today than what they could give back a number of years ago. I think the higher lot to lot variations seen today are mostly a result of the NC manufacturer’s attempts to limit costs through a modified nitration process and a higher environmental standard required of late. Add that to the fact given the natural makeup of cellulose even with the best NC manufacturing conditions a certain lot to lot variance is to be expected.

Ken

From what I have read cellulose suppliers are providing a higher quality cellulose today than what they could give back a number of years ago. I think the higher lot to lot variations seen today are mostly a result of the NC manufacturer’s attempts to limit costs through a modified nitration process and a higher environmental standard required of late. Add that to the fact given the natural makeup of cellulose even with the best NC manufacturing conditions a certain lot to lot variance is to be expected.

Ken

Its not the quality of the cellulose that is important in making a lot-to-lot consistent gunpowder, it is the lot-to-lot consistency of the cellulose regardless the "quality".

I think it's great that Lou is getting all these powder companies busy making powders for us. Kudos to him. But as I've said before, if you've got expectations of magic pixie dust in a can, you WILL be disappointed. Take powder at face value. It will go boom, but it won't set the world on fire. Nor will it defy the laws of physics. Despite what any marketing dept will tell you, powder (or any combustible for that matter) doesn't burn the same all the time. But therein lies the fun. How many of us would play this game if we shot laser guns that all we had to do to make them shoot well was plug them in at night?;)

Its not the quality of the cellulose that is important in making a lot-to-lot consistent gunpowder, it is the lot-to-lot consistency of the cellulose regardless the "quality".

Sorry, I still see cellulose purity as a high level criterion for NC lot to lot consistency.

Ken

Sorry, I still see cellulose purity as a high level criterion for NC lot to lot consistency.

Ken

If you can get high quality and lot-to-lot consistency as well I'll agree. Quality of the cellulostic component has to do with cleanliness of the burn but not the consistency of the burn and consistency of the burn is what shooters need for consistent accuracy and lot-to-lot predictability.

Most of what we see as a dirty burn is not the nitrocellulostic but is from modifiers the powder maker adds to control certain characteristics like coppering and burn rate.

Big difference in LT 32 lots

Jerry right as usual
if you have time borrow or beg a copy of the speer number nine reloading manual { it old}
It has an excellent primer on gun powder.

Jerry right as usual
if you have time borrow or beg a copy of the speer number nine reloading manual { it old}
It has an excellent primer on gun powder.

Gerry, I probably have #9 my Speer go back to #2!

If I can think to bring it to thde SS I have a 250 page book on gunpowder making.

If you can get high quality and lot-to-lot consistency as well I'll agree. Quality of the cellulostic component has to do with cleanliness of the burn but not the consistency of the burn and consistency of the burn is what shooters need for consistent accuracy and lot-to-lot predictability.

Most of what we see as a dirty burn is not the nitrocellulostic but is from modifiers the powder maker adds to control certain characteristics like coppering and burn rate.

Cellulose purity is directly related to ballistic performance.

As to quality of the raw material or feedstock, mills are local sourcing from managed acreage; at least here in the north.

Ken

Cellulose purity is directly related to ballistic performance.

As to quality of the raw material or feedstock, mills are local sourcing from managed acreage; at least here in the north.

Ken

This thread is not about ballistic performance, it is about ballistic lot-to-lot consistency. Besides, the bark of a tree, a cellulose source, does not make the same product output as the body wood of the tree, again a cellulose source, then there is the needles, etc. Chipper mills grind it all!!!

The other question on lot 10 is . How did it shoot from day to day or during the day.
Did you have to make correction when the temperature's changed?

This thread is not about ballistic performance, it is about ballistic lot-to-lot consistency. Besides, the bark of a tree, a cellulose source, does not make the same product output as the body wood of the tree, again a cellulose source, then there is the needles, etc. Chipper mills grind it all!!!

The impurities you are referring to are stripped during the extraction process or before.

Ken

Yes my deal with Western after lot 6 was over as far as LT 32 go's .
I am involved with Western on the LT 30 , I will be testing the lots on the LT30 for 3 years .
Question on this Lou. Does this mean that "after" your done with the testings/agreements that the maker is free to "open" lot variations beyond what you specified during testing/agreement and is there/do you have a certain # of lots that must meet your specs per your agreements (you mentioned 6 lots for LT 32)? TIA Roger T

Talked to Bart about the velocity difference Mark reported. He and Billy chronographed lot 10 against lot 6 (which is the lot I have been shooting) and said they only saw 4 fps difference. Lot 6 is what I shot all of last year. I shot 29.4 the entire week at IBS Nats and it shot lights out. That said, it seemed to go away in August and September. I was still trying to shoot very hot and probably should have tried lower loads...lesson learned.

This thread has had one additional benefit for those who take loads from the internet. Don't; your powder lot and barrel may be significantly different from that of the person who posted their load.

I've been shooting an 8 lb jug of what I guess is lot 12. sticker on bottom says 12.19.12
I had gotten used to it. Having to change to another 8lb jug that says 07.11.14

This new jug takes a number and a half more on my measure to weigh out 29.1 grains.

At that weight the two shoot within 10fps of each other. The biggest thing I don't like is the new jug of doesn't throw any where near as easy. It's not quit as fine grain kernelseems like. I'm really having to buckle down to try to get thrown charges to come out fairly close. The other lot threw much easier

Lt-32

Tim I just opened a new case of LT-32 and here is a photo of the label on the bottom of the jugs. I called the mfg, and the technical rep told me the lot # is the number at the top of the label, not any number in the sequence below it? I'm guessing that is a date code.?

Attachments

• 1label1.jpg
    1label1.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 301
Makes sense. The lot I'm right now almost out that seemed to throw better is lot 1. The corse grain lot that's more difficult for me to throw is 10

I have three other 8lb jugs I will re look at the stickers now

Thanks

Back