Best powder for 22-250AI

F

fastfire

I have been trying IMR 8208 with a LOT of loads with 50 and 55gr Nosler BT AND NOT OVERLY HAPPY WITH THE RESULTS.
While at the range today someone mentioned using H414 in Ackley loads.
Any opions will be appreciated.

Thanks

Just my 2C but there isn't enough difference between the AI and the standard cases to say one powder could be specific to the improved case. What works in the standard case should work equally well in the AI case with a slightly larger charge. Simply a matter of finding out which powder (among many choices) does it for your rifle. You may end up with more than a few cans of powder sitting on the shelf before finding the one that's just right.

I believe Varget and IMR 4064 are great powders for 22-250.

Just my 2C but there isn't enough difference between the AI and the standard cases to say one powder could be specific to the improved case. What works in the standard case should work equally well in the AI case with a slightly larger charge.

I'd disagree with that statement. Because of the severe body taper of the 22-250, when you Ackley improve it, the capacity is substantially increased thereby resulting in the need for a slightly slower powder for optimal load density. For example, Varget or H380 are prime standard 22-250 powders with 55 grain bullets and give above 90% load density. They will of course "go bang" in the AI version, but H414,H4350, N150, and N550 are better matched for the larger case.

I have been trying IMR 8208 with a LOT of loads with 50 and 55gr Nosler BT AND NOT OVERLY HAPPY WITH THE RESULTS.
While at the range today someone mentioned using H414 in Ackley loads.
Any opions will be appreciated.

Thanks

XBR is too fast to give best results with the improved version. The 22-250 AI is very close in capacity to the 220 swift and powders in that burn rate will work better.
In my 22-250 AI 14" twist, I got good results with the powders I mentioned in my post above, but I got the most velocity and best accuracy out of N550.

Agree 100% with goodgrouper. XBR and Varget are too fast to give the best results in the .22/250 AI. Over the years I have mostly shot H414/W760 in the .22/250 AI. Great accuracy, velocity and ease of metering through a powder measure. AA2700, a very similar powder to H414, also performed very well. I haven't tried N550 in the .22/250 AI, but is outstanding in the 22X47 Lapua, which has only a bit smaller capacity than the .22/250 AI. Think I'll give N550 a trial the next time I load a batch. Vic

It has been stated many times the AI version of the 22-250 case is near equal to the swift case. That being said it has also been stated many times that the factory 22-250 case is 95% of the swift capacity. So wherein does a mere 5% increase in 22-250 case capacity bring about a change in burn rate to create an ideal powder? If it was a necked down .243Improved or 6mm Rem-.22 improved then a considerably slower burning powder could be justified.
As to H414, I have used a load straight from the Speer #10 manual for nearly 20 years in a Ruger #1-V 22-250 with no problems and I get 3,800+ fps.with a 55 gr. bullet. The standard case is quite capable of handling H414.
If pressure tested data from reputable manuals is compared, both the .220 swift and the .22-250 use essentially the same propellants only the Swift gets a somewhat larger charge to achieve it's increased velocity.

It has been stated many times the AI version of the 22-250 case is near equal to the swift case. That being said it has also been stated many times that the factory 22-250 case is 95% of the swift capacity. So wherein does a mere 5% increase in 22-250 case capacity bring about a change in burn rate to create an ideal powder? If it was a necked down .243Improved or 6mm Rem-.22 improved then a considerably slower burning powder could be justified.
As to H414, I have used a load straight from the Speer #10 manual for nearly 20 years in a Ruger #1-V 22-250 with no problems and I get 3,800+ fps.with a 55 gr. bullet. The standard case is quite capable of handling H414.
If pressure tested data from reputable manuals is compared, both the .220 swift and the .22-250 use essentially the same propellants only the Swift gets a somewhat larger charge to achieve it's increased velocity.

Ball powders are a bit different animal because of their ability to load denser. So while the standard 22-250 works with H414, if you were to use an extruded powder equivalent, you'd see reduced velocities under what Varget or similar would give you. Increase the capacity to the AI version, and those extruded powders in the burn rate of H414 give better velocities (and usually accuracy)than does just adding more of the quick powder.
That is why a full case of varget works great in the standard 22-250, but a full case of varget in the improved version would give pressure problems and ruin brass fairly quick.

If I went with H4350 can I use load data for 220 Swift for starters?
I can't find any loads for the 22-250AI.

Thanks for all the opinions.

I'd start with the loads for the plain 22-250 and work up from there.

4064 and 3031 are both great powders for the 22-250 and AI.

Brad

Yes.

Nosler's manual lists the 22-250 AI with 55 grain bullets. They say 39 grains of IMR4064 is only 83% LD at max.
44.5 grain of H414 provides 95% LD at max.
Since H4350 is slower burning than H414 in this caliber, you can get near 100% LD with it.

As always, start 10% below and work up from there. Or, use max standard 22-250 loads as starting loads for the AI version.

I have two 22/250 imp and they both shoot very well with H380

Keith, I have to take issue with this statement, I have more than 2 22-250AI's. while H380 work's well in a regular 22-250 it is downright dangerous in the AI version (at least in the load developement sessions I have done) perhaps the most temp sensitive powder I have ever used.
I agree with goodgrouper about the VVN550 and H414 (Win760), In my latest and last ever slow twist 22-250AI the best load I came up with was with IMR4831 and 55gr Blitzking's.
The 22-250AI is at it's best when you use a 1-8" twist with the heavies.

The current Sierra manual has six pages of load data on the .22-250 AI. The loads look a lot like the Swift and similar powders are used. Some of the Sierra "accuracy loads" feature unusually fast burning powder like H4895 which is generally thought too fast for the Swift.

Forget the manuals and go with what works in these modern times..(bet you nevr thougt an ole' timer like me wuld say that!!!ahhah)/////....powders are much betr than they were when the 22-250 AI was developed....and so are bullets and barrls......with under 50 gr bullets try Rx-15 ...55-65--Rx-17...69-90--Rx-22......fagetabout 4064 etc.....Roger
{PS}//// I cant giv load data becauz I use a Culver measure...wink....PM me if interested....its a gr8 cal.....dont waste your bbl trying primitive loads...

its a gr8 cal...

I used to think that too until a friend of mine built an equally long barreled 6br and we went shooting the first time. He was pushing 55 grain 6mm's at 3900 fps easily with 30+ grains of powder and I was pushing 55 grain .22's at 3900 fps with 40+ grains of powder! And his 55 grain bullet had a higher bc to boot! Also, his gun was more accurate, kicked less, heated up slower, and he didn't have to fireform his brass!

It didn't take too long after that that I made my 22-250AI into an 8" twist gun and then she really came alive! Will never go back to the slow twist version........

Last edited:
GG, are you shooting 69's or something else in your 8 twist ??? And what powder and velocity..

Currently I'm running a 12 twist but have an 8 on the shelf, might just have to chamber it up and see what's up !!

Thanks

GG, are you shooting 69's or something else in your 8 twist ??? And what powder and velocity..

Currently I'm running a 12 twist but have an 8 on the shelf, might just have to chamber it up and see what's up !!

Thanks

I shoot 80 grain bullets with a full case of H4831sc at about 3400 fps with a 28" barrel. It really does a number on those chucks "way out there".;)

GG does your rifle like the bullets to jump a little or are you snugging em up to the lands? My first go around with this cal Ive been playing with the 75 A max and 80 Berger H4831 and H4350 gave me about 1/2 min @ 200 but with lighter charges as I get the velocity above 3200 it starts to open up

Back