Best method to cut barrel before chambering

Mike,

Curious, is it feasible to change the blade of a wood miter saw with cold saw blade?

nez

I would not do that, as a wood miter saw runs at about 3000RPM and these cold cut saws are only running at 1300rpm. it would probably destroy the carbide blade running it too fast

I would not do that, as a wood miter saw runs at about 3000RPM and these cold cut saws are only running at 1300rpm. it would probably destroy the carbide blade running it too fast
Agreed. Also, the metal cutting saws hold the part rigidly. Otherwise, it would probably knock out blade teeth and maybe the operator's

I use a portable band saw from grizzly. Works great with the bimetal blade. My little 9" lathe just doesn't like the parting with a steady rest thing too much. I can do it, but the chance for the steady fingers leaving a groove in the finish of the barrel is higher.

I use a horizontal metal cutting bandsaw in the shop, but for occasional use a simple 7" abrasive blade in a circular saw will work just fine (though messy as hell), it's just steel. I'd shove a patch down the bore beyond the cut line to keep the abrasive out of the bore and watch the heat.

From my limited expereince

Parting on a lathe is all about Rigidity and, from my experiences, if there is another way to do it, do it the other way. It's a heck of a lot quicker to cut stuff off with a saw, from my experience.

The Cold Saw sounds interesting. I have seen adverts for them but have never looked into them. No need, really, me.

Pete

A couple of years ago I started to use an indexable carbide parting system.

I now part barrels at 400-800rpm under power feed with either flood coolant or applied from a squeezy bottle. My lathe isn't a huge rigid thing either, its the typical 13x30 Grizzly type that weighs around 1300lbs and I have an Aloris wedge type tool post. My tool height is just above centre, all my gibs are adjusted to be snug but not to the extent the hand wheels are difficult to use, the compound is wound right back to avoid any unnecessary overhang and of course the parting blade is set square to the work. I use a 0.085" wide blade and have had zero problems now after making at least 100 or more barrel cuts.

Saw off

When speaking with the barrel manufactures most recommend bandsaw off or part off if you can perform with coolant.

It can be done but the finish would probably be better using HSS.

No matter how well made carbide is it is still particles of carbide in a matrix.

HSS is uniform throughout.

As you know, I am in the machine shop business.

We haven't bought a piece of HSS in years. The industry now makes Carbide Inserts for every conceivable machining operation.

Exactly!

Why then did you recommend that the OP use HSS for slow speed parting and warned him away from using a carbide system?

You got me there. I do use High Speed parting blades for our Aloris Tool Holders on that particular Lathe. Mainly because I'm in no rush, as the video shows. They work great with the smaller lathes used by many Gunsmiths.

For all of our actual shop parting needs, we use Carbide Insert Parting Tools. If I used a Carbide Insert tool to part a barrel in that Pratt, the Spindle speed would be 800+ RPM.

You got me there. I do use High Speed parting blades for our Aloris Tool Holders on that particular Lathe. Mainly because I'm in no rush, as the video shows. They work great with the smaller lathes used by many Gunsmiths.

For all of our actual shop parting needs, we use Carbide Insert Parting Tools. If I used a Carbide Insert tool to part a barrel in that Pratt, the Spindle speed would be 800+ RPM.

I agree providing you grind them right, keep them sharp and set them up properly and use appropriate speeds and feeds. Parting can be troublesome for many though and people end up either afraid or lacking in confidence. For those who can't master HSS tool grinding or frankly can't be bothered to learn then indexable systems save a whole load of time and effort.

I know you know this Jackie but for others who dont, the advantage of a carbide system is that it is optimised for the task and every insert is sharp and has the correct geometry every time, unless your machine is as slack as a Vegas hooker it shouldn't be hard to part safely and successfully.

I ignore CSS when parting and pretty much default to 1000 rpm/.001 ipm for 99% of what I do (1.75" dia or less) regardless of material. Probably not what the tool manufacturers or Machinery's Handbook recommends, but works for me.

Back