Barrel finishes

M

Mike Simoneaux

Can someone briefly describe the methods and tools used for producing the snakeskin or diamond patterns put on barrels? I have tried a search and nothing shows up.

Thanks for the input.

Finish

Many barrel manufacturers ship barrels wrapped with a plastic mesh 'snakeskin'.

What you do is polish the barrel, then slip the plastic mesh over the barrel. Then using a fine powder medium in the blast cabanet, blast the barrel. When you remove the mesh, the pattern will show up as the untouched polished portion that was protected by the plastic mesh................jackie

Larger diameter barrels show the pattern better as the plastic mesh opens up more...

I believe Speedy was one of the first to so this...

Thank you both, Jackie and Dennis you guy's always give such good explanations and information. I will start my practice pieces soon.

Butch

If you are selling the proccess, I suppose you could enforce a patent.

But what an individule does in the privacy of his own abode, to his own equipment, is probably nobodies business. .......jackie

Patents

There are many types of patent(s).

1. Procuct Patent

2. Process patent

3. Chemical patent

4. DNA patent

and the list goes on...

If you have a legitimate registered patent (still under patent period) it is very enforceable. The patent infringment penalties are quite severe. There are also international patents.

Nat Lambeth

I didn't hear anything about a patent from Speedy.

I think it would be hard to get a patent on sandblasting a pattern on barrel using what it came shipped in.

Along the same lines, one leg of a pair of fine fishnet hose will give a great snake skin finish when painting a stock. I doubt that is patented.

Paul

I like it on my hunting/varmint blued actions too...

left700-0.jpg

right700-0.jpg

snake finish

Nice job den action looks good . Jim good call on butch i was just wondering how many fish you are allowed to shoot in one barrel . T.R.

Back