Are we missing out on something?

There are some of us who actually prefer to take an entire day to shoot. I drive 3 hours to get to that spot in the Kentucky hills and enjoy spending the entire day shooting. I damn sure wouldn't drive 3 hours to shoot 30 minutes and turn around and go back home.

Also, I'm one of those folks who like to shoot a lot of sighters. Maybe the wind doesn't switch where you are or maybe you can figure it out. It's not unusual for me to go through 150 rounds in a day of score shooting and there are some who shoot more than me. Of course, that does include two yardages with warm up matches. You guys north of Virginia may not understand the concept of shooting an entire agg in one day, but it works for us.:rolleyes:

I think maybe 40-50 shots in 30 minutes might be a little hard on a barrel, but that's just me. :rolleyes:

BTW- this may be one of the dumbest ideas I've seen here.....but again, maybe it's just me.

Rick

Pete,

A friend of mine in Omaha, Nebraska and myself in Gladwin, Michigan decided to shoot twice a month to make the winter pass and used the 25 shots for score ibs rimfire 50 yard target at 100 yards originally and moved to 200 yards at the end. Interesting shooting in the cold temperature and was nice to see that especially at 200 yards a 250 score was not the standard. Averaged about 25 minutes to shoot a target and was fun. Pointed out what a time waster the IBS benchrest regime is with prerecorded range instructions that are tedious and ignored for the most part. Even NBRSA is slow compared to ARA rimfire matches. The center fire regime seems to be about a half a day competition crammed into a week. Would like to see us try some shoots with a smaller target using more than five score targets at each sitting.

Cheers, Grog.

"Pointed out what a time waster the IBS benchrest regime is with prerecorded range instructions that are tedious and ignored for the most part."
Care to expand on that one just a little?
How can range instructions be tedious and ignored for the most part?
You've obviously never shot an IBS centerfire match.

Not onlt that, but I can't wait till someone gets hurt at your match and sues you into the 25th century, all because you did NOT have the minimum of a safety statement. Can't fix STUPID, and really can't save yourself from LAZY..

Pete,

A friend of mine in Omaha, Nebraska and myself in Gladwin, Michigan decided to shoot twice a month to make the winter pass and used the 25 shots for score ibs rimfire 50 yard target at 100 yards originally and moved to 200 yards at the end. Interesting shooting in the cold temperature and was nice to see that especially at 200 yards a 250 score was not the standard. Averaged about 25 minutes to shoot a target and was fun. Pointed out what a time waster the IBS benchrest regime is with prerecorded range instructions that are tedious and ignored for the most part. Even NBRSA is slow compared to ARA rimfire matches. The center fire regime seems to be about a half a day competition crammed into a week. Would like to see us try some shoots with a smaller target using more than five score targets at each sitting.

Cheers, Grog.

Grog

Are you a qualified pilot? Or a high explosives technician? Or to stretch it even further, are you a retired NASA employee? Doubt if any of those apply to you.

The reason for all of the questions is you probably don't have ANY idea of the fact that EVERY time you sit down to abench to shoot your rifle, you could well seriuosly injure or worse, kill someone. Everyone of us who is involved in the BR game need to keep that in mind. We cannot be TOO SAFE. Every dangerous activity that we do needs a checklist. Ask the astronauts who just came back on Discovery. Ask any explosives tech who is about to blow a building. You do it by the numbers. Shooting is NO different. If we lose sight of that fact, we will lose the sport. I, for one, do NOT want that to happen. Next time you go to a match, listen to the safety instructions and do a checklist and maybe, just maybe, everybody will stay safe.

back to the original question..i think no.....sshooters in the early moring calm no mirage..would love it..the guys shooting later probably would not...
i would guess that with hotter bbls...groups/ag's would not be what we see today.

mike in co

I like the way we do Matches in CF, but even though I am an avid Group Shooter, I do like the one day Score Shoots. I drive as far as 180 miles to attend one, sometimes I will drive over Saturday Night and get a room.

I might be accused of Benchrest Heresy, but I would not mind attending a one day Registered Grand Agg Group Shoot. But for some reason the entire week end Two Gun Format is the only thing anybody will put on.

Does anybody know the history of when the Two Gun Format became the norm. Just curious. ..........jackie

Boy, the way Glenn Miller Played - - -

songs that made the Hit Parade, Goys like us, we had it made Dose wir da days - - -

Archie Bunker will never die Jackie.

Would like to stay on topic but since you asked.... As a matter of fact I am a qualified pilot and although I never considered myself an explosive expert think I am one of a sort as have delivered high explosive, white phosphorus, and machine gun bullets. As a forward air controller put in flights with napalm, high explosive, anti personnel mines, cannon fire, adjusted 105's on the ground and also in the day took nukes to the north pole. Have also had several different explosives aimed and fired at me. Believe in safety and am partial to General George S Brown's edict on flying safety, "get lucky and stay lucky". Seriously it is hard to write a procedure insuring safety (difficult to fix stupid as you said) but would rather have a range officer paying attention and calling commands live rather than playing a boring tedious recording and paying little attention to what is going on at the line. Yes I have been to several IBS shoots and if there is another game in town will not be at another.

I agree with Jackie in that I would like to see a one day shoot with a complete aggregate and think that is possible if we would maybe take a look at using a target similar to the ones used in rim fire to speed things up. We could also at some ranges shoot multipile yardages at the same time for example 100 and 300 at one of our local ranges.

Cheers,
Grog.

Pete, I am with most of the crowd that responded. I find myself quite busy during the day, loading and cleaning. Maybe if I knew I was going to be on the last relay of shooters and didn't need to set my own flags, maybe showing up at 1PM to shoot my 25 shots on one target might be appealing. Otherwise what have you saved for time. You either wait around for your turn or you wait around afterward for the others to finish. Now if you want to have a 10 bull target and a possible score of 500 and still shoot within 10 minutes each time. That I might find interesting. Of course I would have to buy more vials to pre-charge my powder, use more brass and bullets, and load twice as many cartridges in the same amount of time, so I don't know if I would actually enjoy it any more.

The biggest obstacle for me to do it as you suggest is what was already mentioned about the fairness of conditions. That is the part of the shooting that I enjoy the most. Each time up, it pretty much becomes a new challenge at the ranges we shoot with the possible exception of VT. If you only shoot the one time, the odds that a later relay has similar conditions you just experienced are lessened as the day progresses. Just think how often Match 1 is totally different than the warmup you experienced. With your format, it is less likely for your competitors to get what you go for conditions. Just like rotating benches, it adds to the favor. I would prefer to rotate benches each match (until it is time to set flags!) even at club matches. I think it adds to the flavor. Randy J.

Back