Anyone shoot 222.5 ?

J

Jack

Anyone shoot this caliber/ cartridge or have have any information about it . I recently acquired an older Shilen rifle in this caliber and would like to find out as much information as I can before I start loading for it.

Never built one but it's a 222 Rem Mag with the shoulder set back fifty thou. I believe it dates to the 60's and saw some use in 100/200 competition. I'm sure others can provide a better history on the round.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Never built one but it's a 222 Rem Mag with the shoulder set back fifty thou. I believe it dates to the 60's and saw some use in 100/200 competition. I'm sure others can provide a better history on the round.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

I had a .222 35, and a 222 45 and all they are is a .222 with a 35 degree shoulder and a .222 with a 45 degree shoulder. I believe the .222 mag was used for the 6X47 and 6X47T. Just a word here, the new .204 is the same case, just a tad shorter.

anyone shoot the 222.5?

There are two versions One by Ted Boughton and the other by Bob and Wally hart
Ted made the first version set back 222mag case They used IMR 4895 with the bullets , usually 52 to 55gr Benchrest bullet's.
I would have a chamber cast made to see just wich version you have. You can make cases out of the 222 mag {rem} brass or 204 Ruger brass .
simply set the cases back with a 222 die shorten the cases to be at lest .010 short of the chamber.
neck turn leaving at least .002 for expansion. etc then fire form with a cheap 22 bullet. After that neck sizing should be all that you have to do , along with straight line seating.
A Wilson 222 mag seater should do the trick for seating 4895 work really well but some others also work like 4198 RL 7 748

H4895 I used to spread that on my cereal, best powder ever made, would not give you a small group, but would agg like no to-morrow.

Thanks for the information. I think mine was made with 222 rem mag brass.I have a friend making a chamber cast so I hope to have it by the end of the week .

Does anyone know how many of those original Shilen actions were made ?This one predates the DGA.

Just curious, are you certain that it is a Shilen action? I have a 222.7 with a Shilen barrel and a Shilen Raygun stock, but the action is a Remington 722 in a sleeve. But, you can call Shilen and they will answer your questions.

Rick

The action has Shilen #164 stamped on it. The lady at Shilen said it was one of theirs but predates current records .it is not in a sleeve.

Nice. Thanks for sharing the pics. I have a good friend who has basic load data for a 222.5 he picked up a while back. If you are interested, send me a PM and I'll see about getting it from him for you.

Rick

Nice. Thanks for sharing the pics. I have a good friend who has basic load data for a 222.5 he picked up a while back. If you are interested, send me a PM and I'll see about getting it from him for you.

Rick
Your pm box is full and can't accept more messages

This rifle also came with this old jacket .The leather name tag is marked Warren Page . It has a business card and a bench tag /match table tag with it .it is old and in bad shape but still very interesting

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 455
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 433
Yes the coat and the rifle are both supposed to have belonged to Warren Page .The Shilen action on this rifle is supposed the be the action page used when he got in the benchrest hall of fame .The price tag / hang tag on the rifle has it labeled as Warren Page Rifle.Maybe if I go to the Shilen swap meet Ed Shilen will be there and can confirm the story.I did call Shilen but they have no records of that rifle except when it left the shop but not where it went .So could be real deal or just a nice rifle I don't know .

You've got 2 pieces of Benchrest history if the stories are true.

I remember the 222.5 likes IMR 4198.

Ruger 205 brass should be a good starting place for making your cases.

If true it seems like this stuff should be somewhere other my reloading room , but where I am not sure.

It's Warren Page's jacket alright. There is a photo of him wearing it on the front cover of the Stoeger published paperback editon of Warren Page's book, "The Accurate Rifle". All of the patches on the jacket seem to be in the same place as in the photo. His jacket is a piece of benchrest history. There was talk at one time of having a benchrest museum, but I haven't heard anything about it in a long time.

The Accurate Rifle.jpg

Attachments

• The Accurate Rifle.jpg
    The Accurate Rifle.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 242
Back