Anyone shoot 222.5 ?

We'll I can try 223 cases if I need to but I have ample supply of 222.5 cases formed from 222 mag so I hope they shoot good .

Old Shilen Action

I'm surprised there aren't more replies about your rifle. I'm of the opinion your action is one made before Shilen came to Texas whilst with Dewey. It looks to be an SS&D action which I believe stood for "Shooters Service and Dewey".
I have # 139. Not many years ago there was an article in Precision Shootiong by afellow(I believe in California) who found one of these rifles for sale in a store. I wrote him at the time and told him about mine and asked what his serial number was.

The only other SS&D rifle I have seen was owned by Larry Engelbrecht from Wichita and a former Pres. of the NBRSA. It was a .222 in a wood stock NOT glued in. I shot beside him at Luther, OK. and he told me he shot it one time a year for old times' sake. I was shooting mine that day also. I remember his last group at 100 was .163!

Very nice and desirable rifle.Don Rorhschach had one I have seen. I'm fairly sure it was and I THINK it also was a .222.5.
the old stuff is interesting and the jacket is priceless.

Loved your post.

R.B. Carl
OKC

Looking at Warren Page's jacket....

.. those round blue patches in the middle of the back of the jacket are NBRSA National Championship patches. Mr. Page won the following NBRSA National matches:

1960 LV 100

1961 HV100, HV Grand and Three-gun

1962 Sporter 200 and Three-gun

1963 Sporter 100

1970 HV Grand

Sir Warren has 14 US Benchrest Hall of Fame points and was inducted in 1964.

Great looking "scare jacket". Like to have one like that.

I'm surprised there aren't more replies about your rifle. I'm of the opinion your action is one made before Shilen came to Texas whilst with Dewey. It looks to be an SS&D action which I believe stood for "Shooters Service and Dewey".
I have # 139. Not many years ago there was an article in Precision Shootiong by afellow(I believe in California) who found one of these rifles for sale in a store. I wrote him at the time and told him about mine and asked what his serial number was.

The only other SS&D rifle I have seen was owned by Larry Engelbrecht from Wichita and a former Pres. of the NBRSA. It was a .222 in a wood stock NOT glued in. I shot beside him at Luther, OK. and he told me he shot it one time a year for old times' sake. I was shooting mine that day also. I remember his last group at 100 was .163!

Very nice and desirable rifle.Don Rorhschach had one I have seen. I'm fairly sure it was and I THINK it also was a .222.5.
the old stuff is interesting and the jacket is priceless.

Loved your post.

R.B. Carl
OKC

SS&D = Shilen ,Shaw , and Dewey

Ed Shilen of Shilen inc
Artie Shaw big band music /jazz songwriter band leader
John Dewey Of Dewey cleaning rods

And they where located in New York then

These guys were all fellow bench rest shooters

I had a brief conversation with a few guys at Shilen Inc when I attended the Shilen Swap meet . Was given some useful information .Unfortunately Ed Shilen was not there that day.

And thanks again to all that have posted and given useful information

Jack

Last edited by a moderator:
Back