An off topic question....

Wilbur

cook and bottle washer
I bought a cutting board on the cheap for reasons other than a cutting board. Those reasons are now gone and I want to finish it as a cutting board. It's a square cornered end grain board so I'll need to shape the corners with a 45 degree bevel, oil it and attach the feet. My question is what kind of router do I buy to do this bevel and what bit do I use.

Cheap is better in this case than longevity as the router will likely just do this task.

Wilbur

If you have a table saw you can do the 45* cut! {see attachment}

If not home depot will have a router and 45* bits

Russ

45.jpg

Bevelcut.jpg

Last edited:
Stiner is right. There are other ways but the router or the table saw are my top choices. If I were you and I had no use for a router and did not have a table saw I would take it over to a small cabinet shop and ask the owner what he would charge. Over the years I did a lot of small jobs like this at no charge. $20 would cover part of a nice meal out with his wife and would be about the price of a router bit. You could also make a showing with a block of wood and sandpaper. A block plane would help.

Shucks! Bring it to me and I will fix it.

Bill

Thanks Y'all!!

I'm going to break the sharp edges with sandpaper and that may be all right. If not, I'm off to Lowe's to buy a cheap router and that 45 degree bit. I would do just what Bill suggested if I could find a nearby wood shop...but I don't think that exists around here. I'll look for sure!

I'm going to break the sharp edges with sandpaper and that may be all right. If not, I'm off to Lowe's to buy a cheap router and that 45 degree bit. I would do just what Bill suggested if I could find a nearby wood shop...but I don't think that exists around here. I'll look for sure!

A round over effect with sand paper would be an easy way to go rather than a sharp 45º. If you don't like it you can still use a router.

Router

I bought a cutting board on the cheap for reasons other than a cutting board. Those reasons are now gone and I want to finish it as a cutting board. It's a square cornered end grain board so I'll need to shape the corners with a 45 degree bevel, oil it and attach the feet. My question is what kind of router do I buy to do this bevel and what bit do I use.

Cheap is better in this case than longevity as the router will likely just do this task.

If its a one time use
Might want to look at Harbor Freight
Might be your cheapest way

Plus 1 on the Harbor Freight.
Get the cheapest little handheld they have and a 45 degree chamfer bit for a one time use.

joe

I do the edges of deer horn plaques with a router bit in a drill press. Not the smoothest cut, but easier than doing the whole thing with a rat-tail rasp. It cleans up pretty quick though.

Heck you[re a benchrest shooter. Forget the cost factor and buy a little Bosch router with the variable speed. You'll soon find all kinds of projects to use it on. Before you know it, you could be making cutting board plaques for trophies. Or buy a variety pack of sandpaper and do some good old fashioned manual craftsmanship labor

Heck you[re a benchrest shooter. Forget the cost factor and buy a little Bosch router with the variable speed. You'll soon find all kinds of projects to use it on. Before you know it, you could be making cutting board plaques for trophies. Or buy a variety pack of sandpaper and do some good old fashioned manual craftsmanship labor

Ha, you're a Benchrest shooter. Before you know it a year will have gone by, and when the package arrives at your door, you'll have no clue what it is for.......

How about a hand file? If all you are wanting to do is break the edge a file will do it and will be much less cost than an entire router and bit.

My .02, but might not be worth that.
Mike

Ha, you're a Benchrest shooter. Before you know it a year will have gone by, and when the package arrives at your door, you'll have no clue what it is for.......

There's a little more truth to that than I think you intended..maybe not!

It would be my pleasure

Wilbur, Send the thing to me and I will put any shape on the edge you want and send it back to you and I will even pay the return freight. You are one of the good guys.

Bill

Thanks Bill but I'm gonna try to do it myself. I know it's an "easy-peasy" job for wood workers but if you ain't never done such a thing it's a bit scary when you come to the actual "hunnert dollar" piece of wood. Waiting on a warmer day to do this but if it doesn't warm up then cold it is. Thanks again!!

I'll let Y'all know how it turns out...and also if I have to buy another one....

Back