Amazing year...still in shock!

L. Costa

First thanks for all the kind words; in this sport that is certainly the biggest reward we hope for.
Sincerely, thank you.
A few years ago I told Billy Stevens I was going to chamber my own barrels, he wisely told me to expect to screw up for a while. Yep, I did. A couple of years latter I told him I was going to make my own bullets. Guess what Billy told me...yep, I did. It seems that every step we take in this sport takes us back for a bit but then it takes us forward.
Five years ago I built a range that allows me to shoot North and East. It allows me to practice in any type of wind at any time. I have spent a few hours out there....
I guess the point of all this rambling is to explain that a lot of us pay our dues and if the Good Lord allows us, we end up having an amazing year.

These were the shoots and results I achieved this year:

Shamrock. Won 2 gun
Wiekert. Won 2 gun
Super Shoot fifth place
East-West Won 2 gun
IBS Natl Won 3 gun
NBRSA Natl Won 2, 3, 4 guns

Completed the points for HOF (12)

I also got back all three rifles that were stolen from me the year before. Does it get any better? Nope!

Incidentally I used only Bartlein Barrels. 14 to 13.75
I also used four barrels at various times to win. Great stuff.

Also only used 133 powder. I did buy some LT and plan to work it in to my test schedule this winter. Have high hopes for it.

I hope to see a bunch of you post that you had a great year in the coming years.
Regards,

Larry

Great year

Larry: Congrats on the Great year. I too am going to try the bullet making endeavor. Hope to have some of that good luck that has come your way. I know that you have put in a lot of hard work to get to where you are today. But it has paid off. Tony

Larry,

Could you please tell us a little more about your bullets? Ogive type, jackets, BT or FB etc?

Regards,
Peter Ericson

"Earned" is an understatement

There's nobody in the HOF that doesn't deserve every point. This particular entry is surely no exception.

Folks like you inspire us all!

Peter,
The bullets I made (not selling any) are basically a copy of Lowell's old boat tail. I have used only J4 jackets so far. I have only used cores made by Charlie Hood in .5% Antimony. The dies that I am using were made by Detsch.
So far I have used four lots of jackets, soft and thin all the way to thick and hard. It has been an interesting learning experience getting all the different lots to shoot.

Larry. You reap what you sow. Great shooting my friend. Looking forward to shooting against you next year. You set the bar very high.
Brush

Larry hard work pays off congrats on the Hall Of Fame.

Congrats Larry
. I watched you shoot at the east west this year and i was jelous to say the least. not only did you beat everyone there, you kicked our but, BAD!!! Only teen agg i do beleive. You seem to be as one with your rifle. great job!! lee

Congrats Larry on the HOF...what a year. I am most impressed with the Supershoot finish after the opps with the bolt.

Hovis

Larry, congratulations on catching your dream; also, congratulations to Dee for her support as you chased that dream. You're a good ambassador for the game, and I hope to see you at Dublin next year.

Congrats...

I watched you shoot those last groups of the HV200 and knew you had it when you fired that last shot. Truly an amazing performance when we were all struggling with those conditions that would pull a bullet out of a group for no apparent reason... a true pleasure to watch a master at work.

Rod

Larry - phenomenal results! I also witnessed your performance at the East-West this year. While a lot of folks struggled, you were laying down teen aggs, not to mention the only teen 2-gun!

We are all using similar equipment, components, bench technique, etc. Would you care to offer any tips for those of us in the middle of the pack? Can you put your finger on anything specific that has helped you rise to this level?

Thanks,
Jerry

Congratulations Larry !!

I've never had the pleasure of meeting you but have heard a great deal about you..

I really admire folks who win with rifles they've built and with bullets they've made..

Puts you on the pinnacle !!! (Even if you did shoot 133, lol)

Pat Byrne

Jerry,
To answer your question takes a lot since I don't know what you do right or wrong. The short version:
Make sure everything on the bench is secure. Bags can't be hard. Feel comfortable.
Be smooth, don't lift your head after every shot. Call each shot.
Practice holding. I hold almost every shot. Practice in the wind. Don't be afraid of strong wind.
Develop speed to run them when you can. Work on your timing. I see a lot of shooters wait too long to start their group.
Don't be afraid to stop. Wishing a bullet in seldom works.
Learn to read your target load patterns and bullet holes. Load consistent ammunition, exact seating depth and headspace. Powder loads should be exact. Don't be afraid of putting some powder to it. I very seldom load 133 with a weight below 29.8.
Keep your bore free of carbon and copper.
A little prayer in the morning can't hurt either.
Good luck.
Larry

Jerry,
To answer your question takes a lot since I don't know what you do right or wrong. The short version:
Make sure everything on the bench is secure. Bags can't be hard. Feel comfortable.
Be smooth, don't lift your head after every shot. Call each shot.
Practice holding. I hold almost every shot. Practice in the wind. Don't be afraid of strong wind.
Develop speed to run them when you can. Work on your timing. I see a lot of shooters wait too long to start their group.
Don't be afraid to stop. Wishing a bullet in seldom works.
Learn to read your target load patterns and bullet holes. Load consistent ammunition, exact seating depth and headspace. Powder loads should be exact. Don't be afraid of putting some powder to it. I very seldom load 133 with a weight below 29.8.
Keep your bore free of carbon and copper.
A little prayer in the morning can't hurt either.
Good luck.
Larry

Wow Larry, talk about a bucket list of must-do's. Hint-use each sentance above as a chapter title!!

Guys and gals who are new shooters read Larrys first post and the one immediately above several times (#1 and #19)!

Congratulations, Larry! Well done. After you shot so well at Holton, I was hoping you'd get the points needed to get in the HOF at Fairchance.

Back