Actions

Ajshooter

Jeff Youmans
I'm fixing to order an action but can't make my mind up.
Should I go with panda or bat I already have a panda I bought used and it is great and I already have barrels and everything set up for panda . Should I change plus the wait time is a little shorter on the panda.
Can someone explain the differences please. I'm don't compete but I might . This is for LV short range Benchrest.

Nothing wrong with getting what you like. I would recommend checking match reports to see what other people are winning with.

I know most

Nothing wrong with getting what you like. I would recommend checking match reports to see what other people are winning with.

will say I am being acerbic, but that philosophy would be what I call Lemming thought.

You have a Panda already. You have barrels for Pandas already. Why would you buy a BAT? Just because someone else did? Faulty logic. Pandas win today as well. Pandas are quality product, as are BATs, but why change horses in mid-stream?

David

Why would you buy a BAT? Just because someone else did? Faulty logic. Pandas win today as well. Pandas are quality product, as are BATs, but why change horses in mid-stream?

David

David makes mucho sense. If you don't like the Panda sell it and buy 2 BATS. Doesn't make sense to have 2 different configurations.

Most benchresters are monkey-see monkey-do. Right now BAT is in. Why? Because so-and-so won with one. So-and-so will win because they are really good at it and practice a lot!! Overall there are probably as many Pandas out there as any brand. Actions with straight sides and a large footprint like the Panda don't come unglued nearly as often as round actions, plus, many stainless actions are ruined by galling when you screw your stainless barrel into it.

I believe that BATs can be ordered configured to accept Panda barrels. Just another option....

you are correct but in speaking with them a few times in the last couple of years they are not and were not happy as the NEXT PURCHASER may not know this and then problems occur, (not sure they are doing it anymore, and as I say not sure but pretty sure) respectfully boyd

SECONDLY

buy a bat and then you have a couple of different actions and maybe diffeent stocks,

the only reason to have 2 guns set up the same is if you think you can win the nationals,

having 2 different guns provides me with more enjoyment than a PAIR OF TWINS and quite frankly

if I am struggling in the AM then I grap the other gun in the PM and must pay attention to its different characteristics and guess what usually I do better, sometimes much better as I am now PAYING ATTENTION

YMMV

Jefferson

Again, Logic "faulty"

the only reason to have 2 guns set up the same is if you think you can win the nationals,

The reason to have 2 guns the same, as far as action, stock, etc., other than maybe one being a dedicated LV, w/ the other a HV, is so that what you do with one for technique is the same for the other. Attend any big match, S/S, Nationals, Qualifiers, Regionals, and virtually anyone in the top 20 who is shooting 2 different guns will be shooting guns so similar as to be scary.

What you should be seeing when you change to a different gun and things get better is that the second works better for you. I know the feeling, too well. I used to have a Hall HV that I had won a LOT of wood w/. It was a R/R. I had been shooting a R/L Farley LV and doing well at a big match a few years back. I switched to the Hall in the afternoon. After the first match, a dear friend said " why the H#$$ did you switch guns?" .... "you looked like a monkey trying to F^*K a football". I had gotten so used to the L/R that a R/R was really trying. Needless to say, the Farley came back out.

David

The reason to have 2 guns the same, as far as action, stock, etc., other than maybe one being a dedicated LV, w/ the other a HV, is so that what you do with one for technique is the same for the other. Attend any big match, S/S, Nationals, Qualifiers, Regionals, and virtually anyone in the top 20 who is shooting 2 different guns will be shooting guns so similar as to be scary.

What you should be seeing when you change to a different gun and things get better is that the second works better for you. I know the feeling, too well. I used to have a Hall HV that I had won a LOT of wood w/. It was a R/R. I had been shooting a R/L Farley LV and doing well at a big match a few years back. I switched to the Hall in the afternoon. After the first match, a dear friend said " why the H#$$ did you switch guns?" .... "you looked like a monkey trying to F^*K a football". I had gotten so used to the L/R that a R/R was really trying. Needless to say, the Farley came back out.

David

the difference between a right right and a right left is quite a bit,

I was refering to the difference between a

BAT and a PANDA both with the same port and bolt configeration, the stock could be different (say a JTR and a Leonard or Scoville)

what you have described are really very different as opposed to just having fun competing with wa different action or stock but thanks for your views : )

to support my thoughts I changed guns after the first day at the 2014 montana state short range BR and won the HV on sunday, then went on to win the canadian supe shoot the next weekend and set a LV canadian record, so changing the guns helped me (hehehe both were right bolt left port right eject models a 3 lug and a 2 lug)

Jefferson

David

thanks I did not think of the light versus heavy thing, although very few shoot a dedicated heavy nowadays

Jefferson

Like i said get what you want. If you dont know what you like check the match reports to see whats popular. If its the only action listed in the top 10 theres a reason for it and its not because all bat shooters are lemmings or have faulty logic. I have lots of actions, a few of every brand and like the other winners I shoot what I want and like. Right now its bat actions and scarbrough stocks. They dont work for everyone and I swap to other combos pretty regular. Nothing wrong with having a matched pair of pandas then get something different to try for your third.

Thanks fellas I think I've made my mind up . I think which ever one I chose it will outshoot me.
I appreciate all the advice.

I am sure most would be interested in what you picked and why

it does not matter to us what you did but we just like to know how you made up your mind,

thanks

Jefferson

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going with the panda cause I'm already set up plus I don't think my shooting abilities will not be able to tell a diff. Plus I like the look and fell of the panda . And all the great advice I got here .

you made a great choice,,,get to know the Kelbly folks,,,they will never dissapoint with craftsmanship and supply all the info you need to get your rifle up and running,,Roger
PS,,,they also make great stocks and have lots-0-scopes ready to go,,,,

Panda Specs.

Now that you have made up your mind, there a few items I think are important. First configuration, you can match what you have and you will never have to think of bolt operation again, or go with a different model that is faster. I shoot what I think is a very fast action, left feed, right eject. In a short throw configuration. the short throw, solid bolt is just what the name implies, and has a little bit more metal in the rear end, the combination of solid bolt and more metal in the rear will make the action ware less and last longer. Head space can be matched exactly to your current action, I pay them a little extra to hit my head space to a very small tolerance, think none they have never disappointed. Timing is another matter, discuss this with Kelby. I want no cock on close and it takes work to achieve that with good pen drop distance and force.

The advantages of all this is you can have your barrels done exactly alike, and the brass will never know which gun it is in. Not setting up dies but once is a good thing. I hope that helps.

Stewart

Now that you have made up your mind, there a few items I think are important. First configuration, you can match what you have and you will never have to think of bolt operation again, or go with a different model that is faster. I shoot what I think is a very fast action, left feed, right eject. In a short throw configuration. the short throw, solid bolt is just what the name implies, and has a little bit more metal in the rear end, the combination of solid bolt and more metal in the rear will make the action ware less and last longer. Head space can be matched exactly to your current action, I pay them a little extra to hit my head space to a very small tolerance, think none they have never disappointed. Timing is another matter, discuss this with Kelby. I want no cock on close and it takes work to achieve that with good pen drop distance and force.

The advantages of all this is you can have your barrels done exactly alike, and the brass will never know which gun it is in. Not setting up dies but once is a good thing. I hope that helps.

Stewart

How far off are the normal off the shelf pandas? They must send me good ones.

Of the 6 Pandas I have, all headspace to the same 0.001" and all line up to the lettering on the barrels in the same place. I can swap any bolt and any barrel from any action to any action and still be within about 0.001" as best as I can measure with the headspace measured from fired cases on a Chuck McClure gage.

These actions range in manufacturing date of 1995 through 2012.

Back