A Good Begining, Hawks Ridge Gun Club

Greg Culpepper

A Good Beginning, Hawks Ridge Gun Club

IMAG0134-1HawksRidge-member.jpg
Most of our membership on opening day

Well, we have news, good news. I think we comfortably reached "critical mass".

There is a new club at Hawks Ridge. Thirty seven people came to Hawks Ridge Range this afternoon and formed the Hawks Ridge Gun Club for the purpose of conducting 1000 yard Benchrest Matches.

Business included the introduction of everyone in attendance to the group, the decision to organize, adoption of rules, selection of officers, identification of work dates, determination of dues and match fees, awards and setting match dates.

My favorite part was introductions. It was a reunion with lots of previously unknown family members coming for the first time. Joy.

So here is what we decided:

Work days are the first and second Saturdays of March. Rakes, shovels, weed eater, hammers, and probably a wheelbarrow are the order of the day.

Rules adopted are IBS 1000 yard Benchrest Rules in their entirety, plus a Factory Class that permits bedding, trigger adjustment and the addition of muzzle brakes.

Membership dues are $50 per family and includes any number of shooting family members.

Match fees are $15 per gun for members and $20 per gun for future members. Please join us.

Awards are plaques for match winners ( LG, HG, Factory for group and score) and pins for relay winners.

Match dates are the third and fifth Saturdays of each month beginning March 31, 2012 and finishing October 20, 2012 for a total of ten (10) matches for the season. Rain dates will be scheduled as needed, probably as a two match Saturday the subsequent match date. There was also discussion of a possible Fun Night Match to possibly follow one of the regular matches and a legendary Hawks Ridge cookout. We'll figure that out later.

The range will be open for members and guests from dawn till dusk Mondays through non-match Saturdays and from noon till dusk on Sundays.

Thanks to everyone who came today and got our new adventure airborne.

EVERYONE is welcome and invited to share a great range, a great shooting experience and the great hospitality that Hawks Ridge is renown for.

One sad note. Linda will not be available to cook for us. Tough act to follow but we are conducting a search and are open to suggestions. Linda, your double cheeseburgers made me the man I am today. Thanks, they gave a shy man strength to do what needed to be done. You and the cheeseburgers are missed.

Let's Shoot!

Greg

Last edited:
Looks like you are on your way. Look forward to seeing everybody. GREAT NEWS
Bob

Good seeing people. Greg you did a good job.

I created a new email account just for shooting stuff. cass 1000 at cassmachine.com

Welcome aboard Jeff!

Dues for family membership may be remitted to:

Brandon McNeil, Treasurer
Hawks Ridge Gun Club
1020 Gladys Fork Rd.
Ferguson, NC 28624

Thanks much for your support and encouragement. Can't wait to shoot with you and Bob and Joe and the rest here in North Carolina at Hawks Ridge.

Greg

Greg,
I am so sorry I can not cook this year. I have other obligations that prevents me from being there. I'm sure you can find someone that would like to cook for a great group. If someone would like to take over the cooking and wants to talk to me just have them give me a call.
I will come up and visit when I can. I might even decide to come and shoot.

Linda

I'm excited. I plan to join and hope to bring some from friends from Piedmont.

I requested time off to come up and help get er back in shape. I'll call you when I know for sure.
Lemme know if you need anything else. I have some steel lying around if you need something fabed up.

One of the forum features is working for me now, I'll be lurking here more often.

Jim

Last edited:
Greg..........I was up in NJ watching the Giants beat the Patriots on Sunday so I could not attend. Actually visiting the grandkids:) I see you have adopted the IBS rules but you did not mention if these will be IBS registered matches?
Rich De

Check mark for greg and the others responsible.

Greg it is great to see you focus your efforts in such a positive direction. I hope it turns out well. Maybe you will give me some 1000yd shooting lessons now.
Nat lambeth

View attachment 12223
Most of our membership on opening day

Well, we have news, good news. I think we comfortably reached "critical mass".

There is a new club at Hawks Ridge. Thirty seven people came to Hawks Ridge Range this afternoon and formed the Hawks Ridge Gun Club for the purpose of conducting 1000 yard Benchrest Matches.

Business included the introduction of everyone in attendance to the group, the decision to organize, adoption of rules, selection of officers, identification of work dates, determination of dues and match fees, awards and setting match dates.

My favorite part was introductions. It was a reunion with lots of previously unknown family members coming for the first time. Joy.

So here is what we decided:

Work days are the first and second Saturdays of March. Rakes, shovels, weed eater, hammers, and probably a wheelbarrow are the order of the day.

Rules adopted are IBS 1000 yard Benchrest Rules in their entirety, plus a Factory Class that permits bedding, trigger adjustment and the addition of muzzle brakes.

Membership dues are $50 per family and includes any number of shooting family members.

Match fees are $15 per gun for members and $20 per gun for future members. Please join us.

Awards are plaques for match winners ( LG, HG, Factory for group and score) and pins for relay winners.

Match dates are the third and fifth Saturdays of each month beginning March 31, 2012 and finishing October 20, 2012 for a total of ten (10) matches for the season. Rain dates will be scheduled as needed, probably as a two match Saturday the subsequent match date. There was also discussion of a possible Fun Night Match to possibly follow one of the regular matches and a legendary Hawks Ridge cookout. We'll figure that out later.

The range will be open for members and guests from dawn till dusk Mondays through non-match Saturdays and from noon till dusk on Sundays.

Thanks to everyone who came today and got our new adventure airborne.

EVERYONE is welcome and invited to share a great range, a great shooting experience and the great hospitality that Hawks Ridge is renown for.

One sad note. Linda will not be available to cook for us. Tough act to follow but we are conducting a search and are open to suggestions. Linda, your double cheeseburgers made me the man I am today. Thanks, they gave me the strength to do what needs to be done. You and the cheeseburgers are missed.

Let's Shoot!

Greg

Jim, Rich,

Missed you both at what quickly turned into the very first membership meeting of The Hawks Ridge Gun Club. Yea!

Jim, Looks like for the work day Saturdays, March 3rd and 10th, that rakes and flat bladed shovels or scoops will be the principle tools of choice, with string trimmers a close second. Mike's got wheel barrows on site. Wish we had a river to turn through the "stables". Good news is its been long enough since the cows camped that we've got organic frisbees to deal with. I'm bringing a magnum leaf blower to put the polish on that project at the end of the day.

Rich,

After long and warm introductions of everyone to the group, operational policy decisions were made quickly, with little discussion and what appeared to be unanimity, including the choice to adopt IBS Rules in their entirety. When we got to the question of seeking organizational affiliation now, or beginning matches on our own, there were several members that made vigorous recommendations that the club join the IBS to facilitate program growth. A few more members said we could/should get started, get our sea legs and postpone any decision to seek affiliation for a later date. (I think of the club as possessing an IBS culture but without SOTY points. The recent timing of the IBS SOTY points debate may have had an influence on the HRGC discussion.) When put to a vote, the club decided overwhelmingly to begin matches without seeking IBS affiliation.

So Rich, are you bringing a rake or a scoop on March 3rd? See you soon in either case.

Warmest regards,

Greg

president@hawksridgegunclub.com

Hey Dawg,

Come up and shoot with us! We've already realized that by setting ten individual match dates that we've made it harder for folks who must travel greater distances to participate. So we're calling the calender tentative while we discuss moving two, maybe three Saturday dates to Sundays following a Saturday match and create some two day, two match events.

We're going to create a LRBR community match calender on the websight www.hawksridgegunclub.com to help determine what dates would be most accessible to IBS shooters in VA, Butner and also Williamsport PA. There will be a comments page dedicated to that effort attached to the calender.

Whether match schedule comments appear here or on the web sight or by email, they will all be stirred into the mix in the hope of enabling greater participation for our more distant friends. We hope to finalize our calender on March 31, at the match, or maybe earlier yet.

Greg

president@hawksridgegunclub.com

Last edited:
Greg it is great to see you focus your efforts in such a positive direction. I hope it turns out well. Maybe you will give me some 1000yd shooting lessons now.
Nat lambeth

Nat,

Well you've been telling me for years that I needed to focus.:). Thanks. You don't need a lesson from me. You can give us all a lesson. Just like F-Class but without laying down, right?

Come see us!

Greg

Hi gang,

So glad to see all this coming together everthing seems to be working pretty well with a little work
getting this ol girl polished back up the range will be ready to roll. Jamie has already done a great
job on getting the website together and running. I have most of my things put in order as far being
the treasurer. Greg, keep up the good work.

I'm willing to shoot whenever as far as the most shooters and least amout of conflicts are concerned.
I hear it two different ways fuel being expensive and making it hard on people just just come and shoot
one match, and also hear that its hard for alot of people to tie up the whole weekend so some feedback
on this topic would be great.
I think everyone would want to see a big crowd at every match.

Also I recently found out about a annual banquet The Wilkes County Friends of the NRA will be held on
Sat. March 3rd@ 6:00pm at the Holiday Inn. That is the same day of our first workday so I thought some people may be
interested in attending this afterwards they will serve a good meal and have door prizes they also sell
tickets for drawings for over 40 guns. Dennis Johnson helps get this organized and said he will have tickets
for sale for anyone interested. Tickets are $25 from him and $30 at the door. The tickets for the 40 gun drawing are $10.

Thanks,
Brandon McNeil

Thanks Brandon, I will have tickets with me at the range. You can view the prizes at the Friends of the NRA Website. I have been under the weather since monday, but I really enjoyed seeing every one Sunday and meeting new folks. Thanks again to every one showed. We are also selling tickets for a wall of guns that you do not have to be present to win.

Greg, Brandon and the remainder of the HRGC Members,
I am so glad that you guys have got this ball rolling. I broke out in 1KBR at Hawks Ridge and enjoyed being a member while I could. Hopefully I can bring the bride Indy up for one of the 2 Match weekends. I would love to make a Day and Night Double Match. That will depend on the HRGC schedule and my work schedule. I sure would like to shoot my HG sporting the HRGC sticker up there!
SD531107.jpg

Keep up the Great Work!
Baron (Tony) Graham

Back