80 gr HPFB..

I think there,s a longer version of the PPC already tried.

The Borden BPC if I remember correctly.

If I were going to improve a case like the ppc to hold more powder i would just chamber the barrel a little deeper and see what happens. If it works out then,

Have the reamer made .

I'm sure the developer,s have had something longer to start with. I also believe that what they were really looking for was the 22 caliber.

So case length is more then likely developed for 22 PPC .

You guys have me thinking now. again how about a PPC chamber that's a bit fatter. Mainly in the body area {remove some of the taper on the body] of the ppc case?

That should give the extra powder capacity also.{not sure of the specs on The BPC} If the goal is just to slightly increase Powder capacity.

I've thought about running a ppc reamer in deep. Problem is, both cases are essentially the same oal length..only the shoulder is moved forward on the Grendel case. So, you end up with about .070" too much chamber neck, plus typical end clearance, if you use a ppc reamer. I've got a ppc reamer that would work well with my Grendel dies if run in deep, so that's workable. Experimenting is expensive enough doing it once. Even if the extra neck portion didn't hurt anything, I'd still be left wondering. If it didn't work well...I'd want to fix the neck. If it shot well...I'd just wonder how much better it'd be if I had fixed that neck. Lol!

I don't doubt that it's been tried...or something very similar. Just about everything has. The biggest difference is the availability of Grendel brass.

80 gr HPFB

I see what you mean mike.

I'm just wondering exactly how much more of the v v 133 is needed, to adjust the chamber depth to gain the correct amount of powder,

Maybe it just a small amount to gain the 1 to 2 grains some people are putting into the case,s with the long drop tubes.

I like the looks of the grendel case too'''' Any one have a ballistics computer ????""""''

here is the advantage of using a chronograph.
if you have good records, you can enter it in software
that has case vol as part of the data, then lie to the software
and start increasing case vol. not perfect, but close.

mike
if your wanting to try a 80gr FB i have a supply of excellent bullets. this bullet maker i know thats making these has already won a match with them this year. His bullets are excellent!! I shot some last night and i can guarantee them. they flat shoot. A 6mm Grendel with 80gr bullets is an excellent idea. works very well. i have a shooter thats shooting this combination and he couldn't be any happier!! My guy has been using Berger bullets with his and he is shooting zeros and ones regularly. let me know if i can help. Lee

80 gr HPFB

After looking at the supplies of the >900 jackets and checking the site I see I may have to try the 6 grendel with a lighter bullet.
Maybe a 72 to 75 gr pill. That is unless the .900 jackets start to show up again.
i'll stick withe 13.5 twist for starters, and see what happens. Let me know how you make out with the 80,s'''''

Didn't Ferris Pindell try an 80 gr in the PPC? Seem to remember a Precision Shooting article on it from way back. I may be wrong, but let me see if I can dig it up. Regardless, the heavier bullet, 1:12" twist, and improved 6-Grendel case sounds intriguing.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Ferris's bullet was an 81 grainer with the needle point. I have a few.

That is the bullet Geraci said would "defy the wind"

probably done on his pointer....... jim

Ferris's last year at Kelblys, while I was walking him back to his car, Joel Kendrick bought his last "Needle Pointer" from June. ($250, oh well, I didn't need it anyway)

That pointed bullet, at Hawks Ridge, took 12" off the drop. at 1,000 yards, off the same bullets, not pointed..

It Defies the wind....DG!!

Reamer

I may know a guy that has a 6mm Grinch Reamer, 12x barrels, F.L. bushing dies on the way, and Lapua 6.5 Grendel brass.

long version of ppc

there was a article in precision shooting about a couple of versions of the ppc.one was a 1.75 inch long and another was a 2.00 inch long .
given that this Grinch may be close to the 1.75 inch version in capacity.
also the 6 mm br with the 40 degree shoulder is also worth looking at .that is my 2 cents worth any way.what are your thoughts on this?
gary b

A Standard 6 BR case holds 1.5 grains more N133 than a Grinch case. A .090 6 short 6 BR holds 1 grain less than a Grinch. I don't see the need to improve the BR case, too much capacity already.

A Standard 6 BR case holds 1.5 grains more N133 than a Grinch case. A .090 6 short 6 BR holds 1 grain less than a Grinch. I don't see the need to improve the BR case, too much capacity already.

How much do you shorten the BR case Jim?

I have a gench in a 12 twist and it does flat shoot. I'm shooting some 80gr fb bullets a friend of mine has been making and they are very good bullets. The grench of course has to be fire formed and it can get expensive for a fella to barrel up and shoot. Reamer and dies are not exactly cheap. The grench is cool, but I cant help but wonder if a straight 6BR with the same 80 grain FB bullet wouldnt shoot just as well? I happen to have a bartlein 6mm 12 twist so I guess I will soon know! A dear friend of mine beat them up down in st louis last week with the grench, so it is worth a look. Like I say mine is shooting extremely well!

6mm Grinch

Fellows, I think you are all missing the point.
It is NOT about powder volume, otherwise the 6 BR would be as accurate as the PPC, and we all know it is NOT!
The part that makes the PPC more accurate than the BR is the case, not the amount of powder it will hold.
The 6.5 Grendel case is JUST LIKE THE PPC, except it gets longer when you neck it down to 6mm and fireform it.
Th powder column shape is what makes the PPC superior to the BR, AND, that is what makes the Grendel/Grinch, when fire formed, superior to the BR.
There is NOTHING you can do to the BR case to make it as good as the PPC.
We were getting a "tad" over 3300 with a 12x Shilen Barrel and Barts 80 Gr. bullets at the last match. (3315-3325 fps). AND, they were shooting great.
I don't think it's the "end-all-cartridge", but, on a windy nasty day, I do think it will out shoot the PPC with 68 Gr. Bullets.
Let me reword that... maybe not BETTER, but if you get caught with a pick-up or wind change you didn't see, it will get moved less, especially at 200 yards.
I found myself holding over like I was shooting a PPC, and found myself over holding about 90% of the time.
I'm glad I have one, Greg King is glad he has one, the Strouds are glad they have a few, and Bart is happy about his, and, WE ALL HOPE NONE OF YOU GET ONE!!!
LMAO, LOL
Ron

6 mm grinch

how does the shape of the ppc and the Grinch effect the accuracy over the br case.the br is still made by lapua and so is the ppc.the case is made to the same standards.right?
the br works at 600 and with the 30 caliber for score shooting,right?
gary b

Ron, do you have a Grinch or a Grendel? I love simple, when simple works...hence I'm going with a straight 6 Grendel. I think I'll call my version of it a 6 E-Z.:)
Seriously, I can see both being great cartridges but for the small difference in capacity of the Grinch over the Grendel and considering with the Grendel, no fireforming and no custom sizing die...it's too tempting.

Approx water capacity for --
PPC=34.0
Grendel=36.0
BR=39.4

Capacity for the Grinch may be posted here or elsewhere but I didn't have it readily available when posting this. One could surmise, since the Grendel is .070 longer than a ppc and holds 2.0 gr more water, that a Grinch would hold about 2.0 more than a Grendel, plus the increase with shoulder angle...Call it 2.5 gr more water capacity, and I think that'll be very close to accurate. So, by this, the Grinch is about 38.5 gr of water.

I think the straight 6 E-Z(grendel), will shoot great AND be a simple, E-Z;) cartridge to make and load for. It has all the makings of a good round, without the hassle and extra expense that goes with blowing the case out for the small gain in capacity that would yield. --Mike Ezell

How much do you shorten the BR case Jim?

Years ago when I had more time and desire to explore, I shot a .100 short 6BR. I have everything left over from then. I have a 12 twist barrel and used a 6 BR reamer, going in .090 short. I can use my old brass and dies. With 2015 N133, (it's really slow compared to 2014) 58 clicks on my Jones will give close to 3300 fps. Don't know how many grains that is, but I used a drop tube with a big hole, and there was enough room to seat the bullet. The freebore is .130 I think. It's been so windy both times I shot it, its hard to tell how it shoots. I do know that at 200 yards, the drift is a lot less than the Torches dinky dog. I was shooting Barts 80 gr BTHP.

I was thinking of calling it the 6mm Grouch.

Last edited:
type / talk

Guys,
I will be glad to talk to any and all of you, but to sit and type takes too much time!
Please call me at 636-745-8144 and we can talk.
Thanks for understanding,
Ron

Back