6x47L is it enough?

skeetlee

I am thinking about a 6x47L with an 7 twist to shoot 115gr bullets. is this enough to shoot 1000 yards with successfully?? Thanks Lee

It'll push to 3100fps, even 3200 with care, while maintaining brass life....... and using about 40gr of powder.

What are you comparing to? Is this "enough."

IMO it's better than the .246/6mm lineup, even the AI'd versions.

al

I am just getting started in rifle comps. Small local events is all the experience i have at this point. I do believe that f-class will be my fancy as i like the idea behind the game. I have a good friend who is a short range guy and he does pretty good. He is helping me out a bit. I dont think the short game is going to be for me though. I like it at the small club shoot level, but i just dont know about dedicating myself to that discipline. I just bought a used shehane st-1000 off the for sale adds here and it is a heck of a stock. I also just bought an old pre-prefix rem 700 action that i am going to have trued and barreled. I am looking for ideas as to what chambering to go with. I have a couple custom rifles, one in a 6.5 creedmoor, another in a 22BR, and 1 6dasher. all have fast twist barrels and all shoot pretty well. I just want to do the best i can with the stock i bought as it is super nice. I cant believe someone else didnt buy this stock before i did. I is beaded for a rem 700 so that isn't the best choice but like i said i just bought an action so i need to make the best of it. I am a little recoil shy so this is hampering my thoughts as well. recoil makes my shoulder hurt, as i used to shoot sporting clays competatively. so a 6.5mm is as big as i will go. I really like the 6mm stuff though. Thanks for letting me share!! Lee

I forgott to mention my smith thinks the 7 twist may be a tad bit to fast. I trust him as i have seen his work and he knows his stuff. So the barrel i thought i had found isnt going to work out. so i am back at square one. Thanks Lee

I forgott to mention my smith thinks the 7 twist may be a tad bit to fast. I trust him as i have seen his work and he knows his stuff. So the barrel i thought i had found isnt going to work out. so i am back at square one. Thanks Lee

Chamber up the 7 and try it......what else ya' gonna' do wit' it? Or did you not already buy it?

It WILL tend to blow up some bullets IME but there's no such thing as "overstabilized." There is spin-related dispersion.... the faster you spin a bullet the more it wobbles ..... but over-stability won't hurt you. The difference is less than the spread in other BR guns on the line at any given time. The 30 Score guys shoot from 14-18 twists and the 6MM Group guys shoot from 13-15.

al

No Brux has it in stock but i told them i would have to think about it before i commited. Any other thoughts on this subject? I love to read this stuff!! Thanks Guys Lee

a 8 twist will not stablize a 115 berger at 1000yrds.I have a 7.2 twist that stablizes them.berger also makes a 115vld thick jacket now,this takes care of the puff factor.I would go with the 7-7.5 twist.good luck:D

is 6 x 47 lapua enough? YES

i don't think you need 115 grain bullets to be competitive at 1k and LYNN i think you should look at the result a little closer from last year as i finished
5th place in the IBS SOY standings shooting a 6 x 47 lapua in both guns and shot several screamers and i was in the hunt all year so don't nobody feel you're under gunned shooting a 6 x 47 with 105s 108s because they both perform very well that's just my 2 cents.
thanks

stan:confused:

Lee,
Two of my 6x47s have Krieger 7.5-tw. bbls., while the third wears a Bartlein 8-tw. The Kriegers are .236" bore, while the Bartlein is a .237". I also have a 6XC with a Bartlein .237" bore 7.8-tw. They all four shoot the DTAC 115s more consistently than the Bergers. The Bartlein 8-tw. shoots the Bergers best when they're seated to jump about .020", while the other three bbls. have yet to show their hand when it comes to finding consistency with the Bergers.

I have to admit that the ease of getting good results with the DTACs removed a lot of the motivation I had to work at getting the Bergers to shoot. The only thing that's pushing me along down that path is the fact that I've got several hundred of them moly'd and sitting on the shelf, ready to load. Maybe a combination of RL17 & Berger 115s will prove itself "right" in the 6XC's 7.8-tw. bbl. - time to experiment has just been a little hard to come by lately.

The only generalization as to twist rate for the 6x47 I have to share is that the Krieger .236" 7.5tw. bbls. show pressure at slightly lower load & velocity levels than the .237" Bartleins do. I should add that I also have several Dashers, and have never felt undergunned at 1000yds. with them. However, I've really enjoyed shooting the 6x47s with 115s the past couple of seasons, so the Dashers aren't seeing much use lately.

I would think that the 6 x 47L is more than enough to be compeditive.......I have been getting my a%# kicked by 6 br's, BRX's at Harris, and some guy named Al Forbes shoots some strange Dasher thingy :)D:D) in Iowa. These are all smaller than the 6-47L, And are beating the krap out of my 300 WBY. :eek: I don't even dare go back to either of these places untill I find a 6mm for myself. They are that good!!!

Of course, the fact that these shooters are all world class shooters (and loaders) means nothing!!;)

Just my opinion, of course.

Tod

I would think that the 6 x 47L is more than enough to be compeditive.......I have been getting my a%# kicked by 6 br's, BRX's at Harris, and some guy named Al Forbes shoots some strange Dasher thingy :)D:D) in Iowa. These are all smaller than the 6-47L, And are beating the krap out of my 300 WBY. :eek: I don't even dare go back to either of these places untill I find a 6mm for myself. They are that good!!!

Of course, the fact that these shooters are all world class shooters (and loaders) means nothing!!;)

Just my opinion, of course.

Tod

This is heresy! A 6 beating a 30!

pure luck

:D

al

Tod
If you re-read my post I think you will see I have been using the 6 BR's for quite awhile now and agree with there proven record.
I just haven't seen the 6X47 doing the same thing accuracy wise.I do hear about lots of ignition problems but not match wins.There seems to be a point of diminishing returns on case size and it looks to me like it falls inbetween 6Dasher and 6X47.
You mention getting beat by the smaller case not the larger one.
Lynn

You are right. It is the smaller 6's that is inflicting said damage.....I didn't read all of the posts all of the way through....I just know he was asking if the 6x47L was "enough"....which I took as "is there enough case capacity to push a 105 - 115 grain bullet fast enough to stay supersonic....and to not get blown around by the wind". Which is yes. I got my first look at a 6x47 short range (300-600) "F" class match this weekend. It was a varment gun, and did very well at 600. I wasn't aware of the ignition issues with it. Does the parent case (6.5x47) have the same issues. I am assuming it is the small primer.

Last edited:
if this is in fact true what about using a magnum primer? I have about 500 federal 205 magnum small rifle primers GM205M i have had some peole tell me they don exist, but i have them!! Lee

if this is in fact true what about using a magnum primer? I have about 500 federal 205 magnum small rifle primers GM205M i have had some peole tell me they don exist, but i have them!! Lee

"GM205M" stands for "Gold Medal 205 Match." That is a true fact, as opposed to the other kind. Does the box further say "magnum" anywhere?

Rem 7-1/2s are one of the hottest small rifle primers available, and they do an excellent job in my 6x47s. I like 'em better than the CCI 450s, but that's just my preference - lots of shooters seem to get good results with the 450s in both Dashers & 6x47s.

Back