6ppc reamer

skeetlee

I am looking at buying my own 6ppc reamer and i was wondering what a guy needs to look for when buying or ordering a 6ppc reamer? I want a .262 reamer that much i know, but what about free bore? I have no opinion on this as i have used .045 free bore and a .060 free bore. they both shot real good! I dont want a reamer that requires a small base die, so with that said what size base should this reamer have? I was going to order or see if kiff had a standard ppc reamer in stock. If he doesnt i need to know what or how to tell him to make it. Any ideas or thoughts? Thanks Lee

PS If anyone here has a 6ppc reamer in a .262 that doesnt require a small base die to FL resize the cases and you wanted to sell it, i might be interested. thanks again! Lee

Skeet,
Is there some special reason you have to have a .262 neck? Too much work for me, I shoot a .269. With 0.0 freebore. Works fine for me. In fact some of the rather short 62 grain 6mm bullets just barely get into the neck enough to stay put. Stop and think about it for a while. I think Jackie Schmidt shoots a .269 neck if I remember, and he does quite well.

Donald

Skeet,
Is there some special reason you have to have a .262 neck? Too much work for me, I shoot a .269. With 0.0 freebore. Works fine for me. In fact some of the rather short 62 grain 6mm bullets just barely get into the neck enough to stay put. Stop and think2/263 about it for a while. I think Jackie Schmidt shoots a .269 neck if I remember, and he does quite well.

Donald
Name at least one of the top shooters who went from a 262/263 range neck to a 269 neck that is shooting better now than they did before the change. I'm talking about the shooters who shoot most of the big shoots like NBRSA & IBS nationals, and a few of the bigger regionals like East-West, Hog Roast, Cactus and Shamrock.

Wildcatter,
He did name one. Jackie Schmidt, and as memory serves me Jackie was the major proponent of the .269 neck.

I guess i just dont see any real reason to change. I buy my ppc brass and .262 already made brass is plentiful! I do understand your point of view though. I found a brand new henricksen reamer and i think i will snatch it up. If i dont like the chamber it cuts, it will be an easy sell. thanks fellas! Lee

Doesn't Tony Boyer shoot a .268, or there abouts.
The only reason I use a .269 is it makes neck turning a breeze. The accuracy, brass life, etc seem to be the same regardless of neck thickness.....jackie

Last edited:
Wildcatter,
He did name one. Jackie Schmidt, and as memory serves me Jackie was the major proponent of the .269 neck.
Jackie does not normally shoot the big shoots I mentioned................That is where the bullet meets the target. And, no, Mr Schmidt was not the first to break away from the 262/263 neck, that famous shooter was Ferris Pindell back in the 1980's.

Lee,

My new reamer came in last year. It's a copy of Boyer's current reamer. I don't remember the exact deminsions but I got them from D. Scott. I need to get a print for myself but haven't yet. It does have the .268 neck. That's your best bet. Nothing wrong with the .262 (I'm burning up my last barrels with that now) but neck turning is easier and I do believe now that neck tension is easier to hold consistant with the thicker neck.

Hovis

I would think that one advantage of a thicker neck would be that it would be less prone to being dented when a spring loaded ejector is used. Have those of you that use an ejector found this to be the case?

opppssss.......someone said name a top shooter that does not shoot a 262,,,,,and bingo....probably THE top shooter shoots a 268......me i shot a 270.....still got a great neck clean up cut.

(oh and jackie has shot big matches...seems work has got in th eway recently)

mike in co

opppssss.......someone said name a top shooter that does not shoot a 262,,,,,and bingo....probably THE top shooter shoots a 268
(oh and jackie has shot big matches...seems work has got in th eway recently)

mike in co

Reread my post Mike. I said a top shooter that is shooting better now that they are shooting a 268/269 neck. Tony is not winning as many aggs as he did shooting a 263, but I will admit its not because of the neck diameter difference though,its just that he is kind of laying back and enjoying his self. And too, Faye is not shooting as much and she was the one he always worked hard to beat.

Talk about a talented shooter, Faye Boyer...

yes but.....
going to a thicker neck was never about better..it was about easier.....
better brass available today..no reason to turn it off....

mike in co

Reread my post Mike. I said a top shooter that is shooting better now that they are shooting a 268/269 neck. Tony is not winning as many aggs as he did shooting a 263, but I will admit its not because of the neck diameter difference though,its just that he is kind of laying back and enjoying his self. And too, Faye is not shooting as much and she was the one he always worked hard to beat.

Talk about a talented shooter, Faye Boyer...

yes but.....
going to a thicker neck was never about better..it was about easier.....
better brass available today..no reason to turn it off....

mike in co
Benchrest was never about easier, it has always been about better, where did you come from??

Wildcatter you should really check your attitude at the door. Most people here are all after the same thing.
Ill let Jackie speak for himself but to my knowledge he has and does shoot at least 3 of the 5 you have mentioned and more besides.
I would make a wild guess that you dont know Jackie.
A little respect goes a long way here and on the other hand... I guess with only 72 posts youll find out about the other soon enough at this rate.

100 pieces of ppc brass will last me quite a long time, and yes i pay 1 buck per piece at times. Thats really is not to bad. Jack Neary said something one time about turning thin to win, and i guess that has stuck with me. I dont have any idea if a .262 neck shoots any better than a .268 neck. I would guess probably not. What i do know is that a .262 neck shoots pretty darn good, and it is what i started with, and it is very common, so i see no real need to change. I have also been shooting the new Norma brass and i think it is ever bit as good as lapua, if not better. Norma brass is something like .268 so turning to .262 isnt a big deal, or so i have been told. I have two gentlemen that turn brass for me. One of these fellas is norm wills, and he does a great job I think norm charges me 40 bucks to turn the brass i supply him with. the other fellas name is cale and cale will do it for free. cale has lymes disease and he doesn't always feel well enough to turn my brass, but when he does he does it is a fantastic job. actually the best i have ever seen. Super consistent. Cale cant work so i trade him some bullets and or whatever from time to time so he can shoot. He is a super fella, and we enjoy helping each other. So turning however much off a case isnt a big deal in my case. I haven't ever had any real trouble denting my necks either. Well unless i drop a piece on the concrete, and in that case it doesn't really matter how thick it was, its going to be dented. What i am more interested in is knowing more about free bore. I shoot original fowler bullets so i dont really know what the optimal free bore for that bullets would be. they are a pretty straight forward bullet design, and they shoot incredibly well, so i would like to have a reamer with the proper free bore for these bullets. I had a fella offer me a henricksen reamer over on accurate shooter, and i am waiting on a reamer print from him. If he sends it i will post it here and you fellas can tell me what you think. Its just time for me to have my own reamer, as i need to have all my barrels the same. I only have one ppc barrel at this time so i figured it was time. I plan on having a couple more chambered this year as the money from my side works comes in. Plus i bought that Schneider barrel for cheep and i am going to have a good friend of mine chamber it up for me, so i can watch the process, and hopefully learn a little something. So if its ok lets talk about what other things a fella should look for in a reamer other than neck thickness. Free bore and base thickness would be interesting reads for me. As always, thanks!! Lee

Skeet. a few years ago those two brothers from up North got wiTh Dave Kiff and started having him hand stone the lead area of their reamers to match the ogive of their bullet, rather than just settle for the standard 1.5 degree. From all accounts, this has caught on as quite a few shooters are now doing the same thing. Dave now has a reamer on file that fits the Hottenstien bullet to a "t", so to speak.

That is one big innovation that has come about in the past few years. Shooters have always played around with base dimensions, as long as it is not too tight, there really isn't much to be found there. I suspect that most reamers have that .4402 dimension .200 up from the bolt face. I played with several, and finally just went back to that.

One of the best reamers for the originol Fowler Bullet was the JGS 1045. .262 NECK, .062 freebore, 1.5 degree lead, and the rest is just standard 6PPC stuff............jackie

Here is a pic of the reamer print. I hope this works. I can email it if anyone is interested. thanks Lee

IMG_0181.JPG (942KB)

this isnt going to work. Not sure how to make it work. The print doesn't show the measurement for the case .200 up from the base. i wish it did. Maybe Boyd can post the pic of the print for me as i sent him the email to look it over. he told me how to do it but it isnt working for me. Lee

Jackie i sent you an email

Last edited:
:p:p
Wildcatter you should really check your attitude at the door. Most people here are all after the same thing.
Ill let Jackie speak for himself but to my knowledge he has and does shoot at least 3 of the 5 you have mentioned and more besides.
I would make a wild guess that you dont know Jackie.
A little respect goes a long way here and on the other hand... I guess with only 72 posts youll find out about the other soon enough at this rate.

Vern, why don't you just bug out..This thread is not about your Jackie. I didn't bring your Jackie up, you did :p:p And, yes Jackie can sure speak for himself without your meddling)chill()chill(....only 72 posts, that is because I do more listening than talking, you should try that sometime)chill()chill(

Back