6PPC Barrel Life

rkittine

I am considering a used 6PPC Benchrest Rifle and have no experience with that caliber. It is a 1:14 twist barrel with a .262 Neck. How many rounds would normally be considered the barrel life for a rifle like this?

Thanks, Bob

I am considering a used 6PPC Benchrest Rifle and have no experience with that caliber. It is a 1:14 twist barrel with a .262 Neck. How many rounds would normally be considered the barrel life for a rifle like this?

Thanks, Bob

The generally accepted range is between 800 and 1500 rds.......BUT :)

The Super Shoot was once won by a barrel with 11,000 rds and just recently a figure of 3200 was posted here on the forum.

That said, I've bought 4 used BR Rifles and in doing so I heeded the advice of the competition shooters, I gave no value for the barrels.

The Rule Of Thumb is...."Assume the barrel's gone," buy the rifle, not the barrel.

Competitive life of a barrel really depends on how good it was to start with. Some aren't good for 200 rounds, others may go over 2000 and still be better than most.

These were the first groups fired (after fireforming) out of a couple of used rifles my Brother and I bought recently. The Panda was sold with the understanding that the barrel was an unknown quantity, the group's were around .100 and .150 and fired consecutively in excellent conditions. The Teddy was sold as a known shooter by someone I trust, the conditions were worse on that day but out of the gate cold turkey I'm liking what I see a lot. We've both bought a couple of the (competitively accurate), (only 200 rounds) rifles that shot like a shotgun, but sometimes you get lucky, or the seller really is telling you the truth. I realize there will be many days and many groups that won't equal these results. Also, I make no recommendations on what powder charges anyone should use. ?

IMG_0048.JPG

Thank you for all the comments and information. I have been told by others that I should just factor in the cost of a new barrel with chambering. That brings me to my underlying question. I have a 4 Barrel Skeet Set that I am considering trading to someone. It is just a Browning Grade I Citori with fixed chokes and an adjustable comb. I have valued this between $2,800 and $3,000.

There is a shooter who wants to trade for this rifle. It is a Stiller RB/LP action with a Jewel Trigger. Makes Light Varmint weight with the Weaver 36T mounted on it. Has a .262 Neck and a 1:14 twist barrel. He does not know the round count from when he purchased it used and does not know the freebore. The rifle comes with a second 20" barrel and barrel wrench, also in PPC.

So, anyone want to tell me what value I should consider for this set up.

Thanks, Bob

Attachments

• STILLER 6PPC.jpg
    STILLER 6PPC.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 439
I would guess between $1750 and $2000, but I would wait for a real BR guy to advise you, I may be off.

Thank you for all the comments and information. I have been told by others that I should just factor in the cost of a new barrel with chambering. That brings me to my underlying question. I have a 4 Barrel Skeet Set that I am considering trading to someone. It is just a Browning Grade I Citori with fixed chokes and an adjustable comb. I have valued this between $2,800 and $3,000.

There is a shooter who wants to trade for this rifle. It is a Stiller RB/LP action with a Jewel Trigger. Makes Light Varmint weight with the Weaver 36T mounted on it. Has a .262 Neck and a 1:14 twist barrel. He does not know the round count from when he purchased it used and does not know the freebore. The rifle comes with a second 20" barrel and barrel wrench, also in PPC.

Thanks, Bob

Thank you for all the comments and information.
There is a shooter who wants to trade for this rifle. It is a Stiller RB/LP action with a Jewel Trigger. Makes Light Varmint weight with the Weaver 36T mounted on it.

Thanks, Bob

The scope adds about 300 dollars to the price of the rifle. But be advised that stiller is not making the viper any longer and there is no real support for it at this time.

Was Stiller supplying the opened bolts in that action that allow both the extraction of a 6PPC (220 Russian) case and also a .473 .308 / 6mmBR etc. Case base?

Thanks , Bob

I may be wrong, but I believe the gun you're looking at has a Panda action.stinnett04.jpgStiller_Viper350x250BS.jpgSTILLER 6PPC.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
STILLER 6PPC.jpgStillerViper204_1.jpg2_zpsxz0oeihv.jpg

The gray gun he's looking at on the left looks more like the orange Panda on the right than the Viper in the middle to me, maybe I'm incorrect, no biggie either way. ?

This is my brothers dual port Panda.
IMG_7197_kindlephoto-23649470.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have only received photos from the owner and have not seen the rifle, but here is the other side. Unfortunately the picture is not high enough resolution to enlarge and tell what is written on this side.

Bob

Attachments

• RIGHT.JPG
    RIGHT.JPG
    181.6 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:
Looks like a panda to me also, the ends of the ports are not opened up like a Stiller. does it have an ejector? I think the trend today is 13.5 twist barrel and .268 neck. It makes weight with the weaver so it won't with a 30mm. tube scope and rings, unless it has a weight tube in the butt..... jim

I E-mailed the owner and asked him to send me something showing the actual engraving on the side of the action. In talking to some PPC shooters, I thought that a tight chamber (.262 neck) was desired. the bolt face will be important to me as I would like to have a 30BR change barrel for it for score shooting. I am going to The Shooters Corner later in the week to also see what Bob White may have in the way of one that qualifies for Heavy Varmint Class.

Thanks for all the input. Bob

If it truly is a Panda, Kelblys will open it up for a very reasonable cost and turn around time is very fast. I don't think there is much difference in accuracy between a .262 neck and a .268 neck except the ability of more neck tension. I would be more concerned if it came with cases? seating dies? and sizing dies. The other thing is what bullet you plan to shoot? if it is say Barts 68 bt. you will need a 13.5 twist barrel... just some other things to think about..... jim

Hi All,

The seller checked with the original seller (Bo Wass) and it is a Panda Action. Supposedly one of the two barrels is a Kreiger 1:13.5 twist and one 1:14. Does 1/2" in twist make that much of an issue. The seller also said that he purchased pre-fireformed and neck turned brass ready for reloading and the dies etc. are not part of the deal. The original seller said the gun was built by Speedy Gonzalas, apparently a smith that calls himself that. Also he says it was chambered with a Boyer No. 3 Reamer with .262 neck.

Bob

Last edited:
Back