6PPC Barrel Life

The original seller said the gun was built by Speedy Gonzalas, apparently a smith that calls himself that.

Bob

Speedy is a well known Gunsmith. I would agree with values stated so far. It llkely has a Jewell trigger and with the scope is worth in the $1800 + range.

When buying a used BR rifle ALWAYS assume the barrel is past it's prime. Then if it is good you are ahead of the game , if it is shot out you are not disappointed.

Thanks again everyone. It would appear that with the seller valuing this package at $2,800.00 I am better to look at something else. I will be at The Shooter's Corner tomorrow to see what Bob White has on the shelf.

Bob

You might be looking at this the wrong way. I can't tell what you're thinking but it seems to be in terms of rifle parts rather than whether the rifle will shoot well enough to win. If you can't shoot the rifle before you buy, that's probably OK but you run the risk of having a Benchrest rifle that will not win and it's a fairly high risk. If you can shoot the rifle, and it shoots a couple of "ones" at a "hunnert yards"....that's the rifle! Keep in mind that it's not you but rather the rifle. Also, if you have a rifle built from scratch using the finest parts it could end up a "ho hum" rifle.

I wrote that "you might be looking at this the wrong way" but I don't know any other way, specifically, to buy a rifle. The way I would do it is take a whole bunch of money to a Benchrest match and look at the score sheet. Not just the price of a rifle...a whole bunch of money!

I'll sell you my old worn out Panda for $6000 because I like you....$7500 to anybody else.... :)

I understand Wilbur and have been very lucky that my three custom built precision rifles shoot very well. I want to try my hand at short range benchrest now and am not expecting to be a winner, just to see if I want to jump in with both feet. I have just been offered a rifle built by Jim Borden that has match pedigree and will be looking at some today at The Shooters Corner that have also had good match results.

Bob

Barrel Life

Also, if you have a rifle built from scratch using the finest parts it could end up a "ho hum" rifle.

Not just could but frequently is.
A very good friend had an old Wichita that was a really hot rifle. He is a man of modest means but he had a new rifle built of the finest components by a very good smith. Bedding and a nice flame paint job by Tom Merideth, (which is to say it was done right). It was a thing of beauty. He had already sold the Wichta, when he shot the rifle in a few matches and discovered it was not even mediocre. It was basically a boat anchor. He was sick about it but ended up trading the brand new rifle even up for the old. Interestingly enough the new owner held it for 10+ years probably shot it a few times and sold it to a third fellow, apparently still having the original barrel it was still a mediocre shooter. I have heard no more of the rifle but hopefully the new owner has replaced the barrel by now.

Dick

Back