6mm222

D

Donald

I know someone has necked up the 222 case to 6mm but I can't think of the name of it. Anyone know or have shot one. Any info at all would be appreciated.

Being much younger than most of these guys I can say that I have never shot that round but I believe it was called the 6x47.

Ted

It's called the 6x43. Several of the name-brand reloading manuals have data for it.

The 223 case necked up is called the 6x45 and the 222 RM case necked up is the 6x47.

Ray

Ray, do you recall folks doing the 6x.223 Ackley ?? Wonder what kind of velocity it will do with the current 66-68 grain br bullets??

Thanks

A 6x.223 Ackley is a 6T/CU. It is a very accurate round used in Thompson Contenders.
There are 7T/CU, 6.5T/CU & 25T/CU all are great in a Contender or a Bolt action Rifle.

Pat

I have quite a bit of brass from Red Cornelison. He tried just about every combination you could think of using the 222, 223 and 222M brass. He also experimented with Step-Neck Cases, Rebated Rims, Tight Necks, Loose Necks, Long Necks, Short Necks, you name it, Red tried it. He also shot a 308/6mm before the 243W came out. He was an avid wildcatter. I believe Mike Bryant still has some of his reamers and Butch Lambert has a lot of the cartridges.

Ray

Yes. Originally a wildcat but made legit by Remington and Federal.

Ray

Remington chambered for it and as it was dying Federal made the brass that had to be neck-turned to fit the factory chamber, but there was never any factory ammo for it.

Isn't that still a wildcat?

That old combo still shoots pretty well.

Good shooting.:D

At the last Denton Club match there was an Okie shooting a 6x47 built on a Savage action and his homemade benchrest stock. Had a Hart barrel if I remember. Glenn can add to this. As I recall he and his rifle outshot some pretty nice full race BR guns. He sure outshot me, but then that is not saying too much.

"The 6 X 47 on a Savage" is a 6-204 Ruger and yes it does shoot good. It has a 15-14.2 gain twist Krieger barrel shooting 60 Gr. Berger bullets.

Glenn B.

a friend is the shooter not me.

Last edited:
Donald, I,m the okie.

As Glenn said it a 6-204, basically the same thing as a 6x47 improved with a 30deg shoulder. The case capacity is real close to a ppc.

I have shot it @3500 with 60 gr Bergers but the load it likes best keeps it @3100. I just bought some 68gr bergers but havnt tried them yet.

Hopefully I will see you again @dention next month.

Steve

I remember a 45° shoulder 6mm on a .222 Mag case that was called a 6T locally. We used to use Herters .222 Mag brass as it was rumored to be made by Norma. Scottish 322 worked well in this case.

Mike Swartz

I still have one virgin box of that old Herters 222 Mag brass and it just says made in Sweden by precesion craftsmen. I have always understook it was make by Norma or Sako, can't remember now. Just says Herters on the head.

Don, I have a 6-204 reamer print I can email you if you want it.

Steve

All is good but what I was interested in was the 222 (duce) necked up to 6mm. I guess a 6Duce. The 6x45 and 6x47 was fairly popular before the ppc came out. Anyone?

Donald

The thread has kinda wandered but I'm still not sure what it is that you want. Back on the first page I posted that the cartridge is/was called the 6x43 (some die-hard anti-metric guys called theirs a 6-222). I doubt if anyone still uses the cartridge today although it seems that new shooters are constantly trying out old stuff. Some of the older loading manuals had data for it but I think the only remaining place that has any loads is Steve's Pages. That tiny case holds very little powder so working up loads from scratch should not take long.

JMHO

Ray

Back