6mm PPC small base case vs normal base, measurements plz....

herbeapuce

Hi

if I measure my spent case at the base, can I tell if the rifle chamber is for small case vs normal. I don't know what the numbers are..... do you know ?

where to take that measure ? at the pressure ring ?

thank you

stef

Small Base

Hi

if I measure my spent case at the base, can I tell if the rifle chamber is for small case vs normal. I don't know what the numbers are..... do you know ?

where to take that measure ? at the pressure ring ?

thank you

stef

0.200 Mark (up from base), but I am not sure what is classified as small base. If you are referring to a Redding die they aren't all the same, so you will need to try it.

Michael

thanks for your help

yes i was referring to the Redding bushing dies. They have a normal and a small base FL die.

I measured a few fired brass and I get 0.4419 at the base.

with this number can you tell if I should get the normal die, or the small base die.

( I checked and of course, the 6mm PPC is not on the saami website)

thanks
stef.

Last edited:
Why don,t you send 3 pieces of brass to Harrell’s Precision and have the proper die made specifically for your rifle? They need brass that has been fired a minimum of 2 times. leave the primer in from the second firing and send the brass in and in less than 10-14 days you will have a die. Cost $75.00 plus shipping!
You will receive the die with an invoice, you don’t have to send funds in advance!

Yap, Everyone here is telling the same thing.... send some brass to Harrell's.... Believe me, I gave it a lot of thought and I really really want to send him the brass, but the problem is it is illegal. I checked and double checked.... and it's a no no....
I'm in Canada and if the package get intercepted by your border ... I could be in deep trouble. it's a federal offense... criminal charge and all .... say bye bye to crossing the border to play golf in the winter......

it's just not worth it IMO..... gee it's so frustrating..

I wanna get the right dies, but I just can't....

that is why I'm now thinking about getting the Redding FL bushing die, and a LE Wilson seating die

what do you think

stef.

Yap, Everyone here is telling the same thing.... send some brass to Harrell's.... Believe me, I gave it a lot of thought and I really really want to send him the brass, but the problem is it is illegal. I checked and double checked.... and it's a no no....
I'm in Canada and if the package get intercepted by your border ... I could be in deep trouble. it's a federal offense... criminal charge and all .... say bye bye to crossing the border to play golf in the winter......

that is why I'm now thinking about getting the Redding FL bushing die, and a LE Wilson seating die

what do you think

stef.

Crikey! That SUCKS!!!!

Cuz ain't NO DIE like a fitted die. Ya' GOT'S ta' have a fitted die.

All else is just guessing.

No matter the brand

No matter the designation.

If you find an off-the-shelf die that works it'll be pure-dee LUCK unless you can measure like a bugger.

So what'cher sayin' is, our friggin American liberal tea-baggin politicos are keeping you from sending us your BRASS???

That's just sick.

(This from a guy who has 3 different claims going right now with TSA because I tried to take bullets on a plane last Christmas.... And I WILL DO IT AGAIN next time I fly. Cuz "all that is required that evil prevail is for good men to do nothing"....... And I carry cases. For the same reason.)

There is another way.....

Get'cherself some Cerrosafe from Brownell's.....https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-.../cerrosafe-chamber-casting-alloy-prod384.aspx

Or if Brownell's hates Canucks too then try Amazon.....https://smile.amazon.com/Low-Meltin...encoding=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0&ie=UTF8.

Here's a vid. This guy doesn't know how to use it right and his cast sux but He's the first I clicked on and he has a nice screenshot of the Brownell's product page. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDKBrKtN1OA and his video skills far surpass my own :)

Trick #1 with Cerrosafe is to cast into a warm chamber.

#2 trick is that it's awesome to be able to take the barrel off..... consider the idea of a barrel vise and wrench please.

Let's get'chu some dies.....

Where are you in Canada. I got folks coming acros't from BC to Alberta on a regular basis. Folks who'd be happy to carry some cases in their cars....

We ain't smuggling here..... this is just political BS

I have some Cerrosafe here somewhere in my stuff.... I will call Harrell's and see what he thinks of this..... if I remember right , one had just a few hours to get an accurate measurement with cerrosafe, then it would expand...( or shrink? )

tonight I checked why , at thee range the other day, the bolt was very hard to close.. I used a white board black marker to paint the neck and shoulder of a couple of spent case. the problem in obvious. they all need a good push back on the shoulder.... it rubs big time.

so I'm wondering , are my brass even good enough to send to harrell's ? or maybe that's exactly what he needs ?

( sorry i'm all over the place with my questions,... as you can see i'm very enthusiasm about my new toy... it's all new to me. )

stef.

Last edited:
Those cases will work just fine..... but may I suggest you write a note describing the fit?

((While I'm feeling I'd love to be there when Stef speaks with Lynnwood I don't feel that "concise" nor "succinct" will describe this meeting of the dialects....))

I'm suggesting send the cases with a note or, equally good, the Cerrosafe. They know how to figger for shrinkage.

Regarding your enthusiasm Stef..... treasure it ... too many miserable whiney people out there.

I LOVE to see the excitement because

it's mine too :)

You need to get in touch with David Holmes, he is a Canadian BR shooter that spends a lot of time shooting in the US. He may be able to assist you with the issue of getting the brass to Harrell’s.
If you buy a SB redding die the potential for overworking/ work hardening the brass will more than likely lead to early failure of your brass.

Last edited:
Could you render fired cases unusable by drilling a hole in each of them, or filling them with epoxy? You might want to check on that. They should still be usable for gauging by Harrell's.

I asked for help on the Benchrest in Canada forum (not here) ....hopefully someone there knows of a legal solution to send my 3 brass.....

patiently waiting....

thanks

stef.

tonight I checked why , at thee range the other day, the bolt was very hard to close.. I used a white board black marker to paint the neck and shoulder of a couple of spent case. the problem in obvious. they all need a good push back on the shoulder.... it rubs big time. stef.

So...how are you measuring the case head-to-shoulder dimension on a fired case, now? -Al

So...how are you measuring the case head-to-shoulder dimension on a fired case, now? -Al

I don't have the tool yet to to this. and it was not a concern to me before.... I would simply use candle smoke or a whiteboard marker, adjust the FL die down until I see marks on the shoulder; then checking if the bolt would close easier a bit, and that was it... this is how I was taught to adjust a die. (I do have a Wilson case gage for my 25-06.)

Are you seeing something off with my comment about the case getting to long ?

thanks
Stef.

Stef, until you are able to get the shoulder back, it's hard to say what die you need.

Harrel's dies come with a little piece that allows you to measure how far you're pushing the shoulder back....you absolutely have to know where you're at with this dimension.

If you call Harrel's with your base dimension, I bet they can get you fixed up quickly. If in doubt, go a bit smaller on the back end.

Hope this helps. -Al

If a sized empty case chambers easily your case necks are too thick for the bullet you're loading.

Do you have a lathe or know somebody that does? What I have seen is the small base die works the shoulder/body junction a little more than what I like. What I like to see is this: Take a unsized fired case and take your calipers and put in on the shoulder/body junction and lock the caliper down. Now size the case and see how far the caliper will slide down the body. I like to see around .250 to .375 Now on to the .200 line at the butt of the case. You can turn the die in the lathe (below the threaded portion of the die) and press fit a ring to shrink the base of the die to whatever size you need. I have done this many times and it works well. I like to see .0015 to .002 sizing on the base measured at .200. This will take care of the clicky bolt at the top of extraction.

Richard Brensing

what do you think

stef.

Have you read this? http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/import-importer-eng.htm
have you read this

Ho boy..... this one I really don't understand
please if you find the time, can you elaborate ?
thanks
stef

I'm prolly off base with that comment. What I was referring to is your case necks may be too thick causing the problem. The suggestion to chamber an unloaded sized case to feel for resistance will tell you if your case is not sized properly...or the neck is too thick. Could be both but I'm hoping not. Lot of personal history behind my comment. FBecigneul offered the causes of a tight case in another thread.....

"Hey Puce,
There are at least four areas that will cause hard bolt closure and none of them are a good thing to have. The easiest one to find and correct is a case that is too long in OAL. This leads to the case, just the case, chambering into the lands. This will cause some "pinch" when the round chambers and the case neck closes more tightly onto the bullet. This is not good and will cause excessive pressure. The remedy is to trim to length. Second cause of tough bolt closure is too thick of a neck. This is the least often occurring event once the necks are turned to a given thickness. This can be verified by measuring the neck of a loaded round at that point where the neck is slightly larger at the point where the pressure ring of the bullet is located. The remedy for this is to turn the case necks again. The next problem would be a case that is too long from base to shoulder. The remedy for this is a "shoulder set back die" assuming the die is already coming in contact with the shell holder in the press. The fourth, and perhaps most often occurring problem, is oversized base dimension. This is remedied by using either a ring die or a smaller based die. I hope this is helpful.
Clair comme de l'encre? "

offered

Back