6 mm remington

G

grmeicher

Brother has an older 788 rem. in 6mm, twist rate unknown and shot very little. Would like to try to reload for p.ds in s.d. Unknown what to try and don't want to buy a lot of different boxes of bullets to try. Have vargrt, h-380 and 4895 powders. Gerry

Brother has an older 788 rem. in 6mm, twist rate unknown and shot very little. Would like to try to reload for p.ds in s.d. Unknown what to try and don't want to buy a lot of different boxes of bullets to try. Have vargrt, h-380 and 4895 powders. Gerry

What I have used for yrs. ground hogs, & whitetails. Hornady 75 gr. V-Max ( varmints) , & 85 gr. Barnes TSX's for deer( bang/flop). I use R-19 for the 75's & 85's.

since you already have Varget, & H-4895, I would try them . they would be ok .

In that it is marked as a 6mm Remington, you should be able to use any 6mm bullet. IIRC, it should have 1:10 twist. The .244 had a 1:12 and would not stabilize anything over 87 grains.

The powders you mention are too fast. I'd second the vote for 4831 -- I use it in my 6 Ackley (6 Remington improved).

Some of the last .244's were 10" twist. All of the 6mm's were 9" twist. It was Remingtons last ditch effort to compete with the .243. It didn't work. I was always partial to the (.244-6mm.) but now brass is getting hard to find.

The powders you mention are too fast. I'd second the vote for 4831 -- I use it in my 6 Ackley (6 Remington improved).

H4831 is a great powder for cartridges approaching "magnum" bore/case ratios. I use it with great results in my 6mm Rem, 30-06 (non-Garand) and 7.5 X 55 Swiss.
While Hodgdon shows data for all 3 of the OP's powders, I agree that he would be happier using H4831.

H4831 is a great powder for cartridges approaching "magnum" bore/case ratios. I use it with great results in my 6mm Rem, 30-06 (non-Garand) and 7.5 X 55 Swiss.
While Hodgdon shows data for all 3 of the OP's powders, I agree that he would be happier using H4831.

I had great luck with 80 grain Sierra Blitz bullets and H414 powder loaded near max. In my rifle it was good for a little under .50" on an average day, and mid threes on a good day.
gary

I would agree that the better powers are H-4831, & R-19.

unless I mis read your post, you are asking about bullets, not powers.

I was always partial to the (.244-6mm.) but now brass is getting hard to find.
Yes, but the .257 Roberts +P brass is common. Just neck it down and you're good to go. Easier than necking down 7x57, which will also work.

Edit:

I believe the original post did include powder choice -- I'd mention that I can use Rel-22. I get the highest velocity with it, but not quite as good accuracy as with H-4831-SC.

As for bullets, what's been said is right. If an 9-twist, you should be good for up to the 108s. If a 12-twist, the *shorter* bullets, which are usually lighter, are better. In the end, bullet length is a greater factor than weight.

You can determine twist rate pretty closely with a cleaning rod, ruler, and tight patch.

Last edited:
The bullets I'd investigate are............

Hornady's 75 and 87 V-Max, and Sierra's 75gr. Blitzking; 80gr. Blitz; or, as an all arounder the 85gr. BTHP as long as deer are shot ONLY behind the shoulder.

As far as powder is concerned, since what you have on hand is a tad fast, I'd look at Hodgdon's H4350; H414; and H4831SC or H4831 w/a drop tube, for any of the bullets (take your pick) I've listed.

"PDs in S. Dak"....remember, the 6MM Remington has a large boiler-room for sustained fire in those conditions, the only saving condition is, there's usually a sustained breeze to cool the barrel after a few shots. Don't get carried away. ;)

HTH, :D

Last edited:
6MM PD Loads

A couple of loads that I have used for extensively for PD (Not deer, how the heck did deer loads sneak into this thread?) have been the 70 gr Sierra MK with H380 and the 80 gr Blitz or 85 gr BTHP with H414 (WW 760). The 70 gr Sierra with H380 has been the most accurate load we've ever found in several rifles. Get load data from the Hodgdon website. Good shooting! Vic

Last edited:
I must have misunderstood the question. I thought the first post was asking specifically for PD loads, not deer loads. Are you recommending using deer loads for PD's? I have shot a fair number of PD's with "deer loads" mostly to use up odd lots of ammo or bullets. However, I was never very satisfied with the results. I much prefer shooting PD sized critters with 70-80 gr bullets in the 6mm Rem. Much better 'splat' factor. The 85 gr HPBT also works well.

As for powder selection slow powders like 4831 work very well with the heavier bullets used in deer loads, but give up too much velocity with the lighter bullets I prefer. Hodgdon data shows 4831 to be over 220 fps SLOWER than H380 with 70 gr bullets, for example. Also in my rifles accuracy with 4831 has been ok with the lighter bullets, but not quite as good as some of the slightly faster powders. Vic

I have a 6mm Rem. VLS that I shoot in the groundhog shoots in Penna. I use Varget powder and the 95 gr. Sierra Matchking and they shoot very well.
Drags

Yes, I do know what the..............

original question was about, PDs w/the 6MM Rem....:eek:

But then, invariably, in the future, the question will be repeated as: I shoot PDs pretty good w/my 6MM Rem, annit burns 'em a new....but NOW I wanna shoot th' deersies, an....

I thought I'd head 'im off at th' pass....:D:D

Everybody settles on what works best for them. As for me I have a .243 that loves Hornady 87 gr. spire points propelled by IMR 4831. This combination is a real good all rounder. The .243 is only a wee pinch of powder less than the 6mm Rem. I also have a heavy barrel (28") 6mm AI. It shoots the Sierra 70 gr. hp match bullet into .300 groups with IMR 4350 powder at 3,700 fps.

6mm Rem.

I have a Rem. Model 700BDL in 6mm Rem. with a 1-9 twist, Rifle was bought in 1978 . I shoot Hornady 75gr. flat base h.p. bullets with IMR4320 or H4350, very accurate.

Grmeicher Ive got a 6mm AI I'm shooting 95 gr ballistic tips when I shoot out the barrel Ill get a fast twist barrel and shoot 105 and 115s. They buck the wind and shoot farther than a 75 gr. Good luck Max

I have Rem. 788 6mm always used H380 and 75-100 gr pills. mine was listed as 1-10, no complaints with it. purchased somewhere between 77 -79 nib.

I bought this 6mm flat bolt last weekend for $349. I shot it this morning for the 1st time. I think it shoots pretty good for a 42 year old lightweight.
IMG_0311.jpg

Back