30Br seating

B

bdotson

I know I am not the first to see this. When useing my redding comp seater to seat 30br the stem seems to stick to the bullet pulling it back out after seating. this a compressed load and that may be the problem. 34.0 grains h 4198. My seating depth is all over the place. .324 neck bushing? How do I fix it?

I have a few questions too. What bullet are you using? why are you seating with a redding die? You may need a different stem? Unless you are using a really long bullet, and a short freebore why is 34.0 grains H4198 compressed?

Paul

thanks for the help the bullets are Conleys 116- 7 ogive flat base. What seating die should one use if not the redding comp seater? this is the stem that came with the die set? it may need a stem 34.0 grains comes almost to the top of the neck just over 63 clicks on the harrells throw? What have I got wrong?

One way to figure out if it is your seating die - pick 5-10 different cases and resize/seat bullets with no powder. If your bullets are still all over the place - then I would think it is probably your die. If they measure the same (ogive - not overall length) then your die is ok and your powder may be pushing the bullet out.
34 grains shouldn't be at the top of the neck - are you using any sort of drop tube? or maybe try pouring your powder slower? I shot 35.0 with 116-7 and had no problems with compressed loads pushing the bullet out. I like the Wilson seating die with Sinclair micrometer top.
Maybe this will help - let us know how it turns out.

Stanley

We always use a Wilson seating die... And with a very slow drop, you can get 34.5 in without it being a compressed load. I have never shot conleys 116 7 ogive but you should have a problem with seating that bullet.

One way to figure out if it is your seating die - pick 5-10 different cases and resize/seat bullets with no powder. If your bullets are still all over the place - then I would think it is probably your die. If they measure the same (ogive - not overall length) then your die is ok and your powder may be pushing the bullet out.
34 grains shouldn't be at the top of the neck - are you using any sort of drop tube? or maybe try pouring your powder slower? I shot 35.0 with 116-7 and had no problems with compressed loads pushing the bullet out. I like the Wilson seating die with Sinclair micrometer top.
Maybe this will help - let us know how it turns out.
Stanley
The length will not vary if there is no pwder in them I tryed it. Yes I have a short drop tube? the powder is pushing the bullets out now what wll a long tube help if so how? I have a wilson I can try also the powder is not at the top but close thanks Buddy

Last edited by a moderator:
You can take the sliding sleeve out and drill a small hole (from the side) into the area above the neck...gives the trapped air a way out. -Al

You can take the sliding sleeve out and drill a small hole (from the side) into the area above the neck...gives the trapped air a way out. -Al

I dont think I understand what you are saying? what sliding sleeve out of what

Did your first post say you were using a .324 bushing..or were you wondering about using a .324 bushing?

When I used to measure seating depth by COAL, my seating depth seemed all over the place. Once I switched to measure at the ogive, things settled down a lot. How are you measuring the seating depth?

bdotson;
Not to argue but it is not uncommon, I have 2 chambers that do the same thing, @ 34 grains it is compressed, I can get 34.4 max and no more in the case. I use my own 118gr/ 1 inch jacket bullets, H 4198 powder, Lapua cases with a .330 neck, .324 neck bushing and the chamber is Robinette throated for 1 inch jackets, I own the reamer and the die reamer; the cases are bumped after every firing. I do my own chambers, make my own dies, everything is lapped to my liking so things fit. I have Redding dies for the 30BR but never was able to make things work well; the Wilson seater would be a better option for this cartridge. IMO………
In order to get a good grip on the bullet the cases must be annealed after 3-4 firings, the .324 bushing just gives insurance that they stay put. If you are not using a drop tube and a slow fill the 34 grains will be at the case mouth. A .325 bushing size will work well until the brass gets stiff, when this happens you either drop the bushing size, anneal or the third alternative is make new brass. I find it much easier to anneal than make new brass but each to his own.
This all hinges on your chamber, what reamer it was done with and who did it, all things are not equal.
The above is my past experiences with this cartridge; I put this out here for reference to your question.

Rick

Seating Depth

I also shoot the Conley 116. I had the same problem and cured it by using a 10" drop tube and trickled the powder charge in very slowly. It allowed enough room for the bullet to seat without being pushed back out.
Kenny

I also shoot the Conley 116. I had the same problem and cured it by using a 10" drop tube and trickled the powder charge in very slowly. It allowed enough room for the bullet to seat without being pushed back out.
Kenny
Ok I can get a longer drop tube and will. Can someone explain how it works? How can I get more powder in a smaller space by using a longer tube? If it works, it works, but I would like to understand how and why. Thanks

Back