270 Win or 280 Rem

Rflshootr

I'm thinking on putting a long range hunting rifle together that will be used to shoot deer from 400-500+ yards. I settled on a 150 grain bullet. It will be built on a benchrest stock & shot from a table during hunting. It will weigh between 13-15 Lbs. with a 26" HV barrel.
Any opinions on which caliber/cartridge would be better?

I maybe wrong but the 280 would be my first choice, If your going to be shooting long range the 7MM. has a lot bigger variety of bullets to chose from. My son owns a 280 and is very happy with its performance.

Joe Salt

Certainly, the 7mm (280) has the advantage of extensive bullet selection.

We have two 280 Ackley Improved rifles and are very happy with the ballistics.

Joe,
I was kinda leaning toward the 270Win because of the higher BC of the 150 grainer in comparison to the 7mm. I don't think I'd be shooting anything heavier than that. Because of the weight of the rifle it will only be used for the sole purpose of deer out of 1 particular stand that has a table to shoot off of. It's definitely going to be to heavy to carry anywhere else. In comparison with the same weight bullets, would the 280 offer any advantage other than a bigger hole?

I shoot the .270 win with the 150VLD have for several years now. It works well. I have been able to push it at 3,050 FPS out of my 24" barrel. it's very accurate.

BUT .

If i was building a rifle as you are, i would go with the 280 throated for the 168 VLD. or 280AI . I know several guy's who shoot the 140 VLD in the .280 and are very happy with it. i have also seen them work first hand in the field. there is not much difference, unless you use the high BC bullets.

Really if i was building a rifle like you state it would be the 7mm rem mag.

Just curious ,but why the 150 gr. weight limit on bullets? There isn't much out there (for the 270) in weights over 150grs but the 280 is really just gettting warmed up at that weight. I would think the weight of the rifle would offset some of the recoil of the heavier bullets in the 280 and take advantage of the better BC's of the heavier 7mm bullets. I like a good Bonded core bullet such as the TBBC, Swift Scirrocco , Noslers Partion is also good. They all take high velocity impacts (close up shots)and hold up as well as expand at lower velocities. Just my 2 bits

Frank, I'm limited to the current 308 diameter bolt face & am not interested in having it opened up for a mag. Plus you burn much more powder with the mag cases.
Roger, I sorta decided on the 150 grain bullet for a couple of reasons. 1st my opinion is that 150 grain bullet is way more bullet than you need to kill any deer sized animal or maybe even larger effectively. Secondly, as we all know, as the bullets get heavier the pocketbook gets lighter. 3rd, I'd like to keep the velocity up as much as possible.
But I'm still open minded & the 280 is still a consideration. I'm looking at the cost options & barrel life on both.

IMO, the 280 wins hands down, in every aspect, but the deer won't know that, especially at those distances. Frankly, I have trouble seeing the appeal that the 270 enjoys. Fwiw.

How about a 284?

This one has been my favorite since the late 60's. No particular reason but is a cool cartridge, IMHO.

Actually, there is a good reason to use the .284, it can be used in a shorter action.

Last edited:
Rem 260

If you're shooting from a table using a bench rest stock in some type of stable rest,why not consider a .260.

Glenn

.280 necked down to 6.5. Or build a 6.5X06

Use 140 grain bullets.

I prefer Barns TTSX, but the Accubond is a great bullet.

I've been a long time 280 Rem advocate. I have owned several and killed deer with them as well as the 270. The bullet selection alone, gives the vote to the 280. The 280 AI is getting a lot of traction these days with Nosler's standardization of the cartridge. Before you decide on a 280AI it might be wortwhile to look at this link http://gunsmithtalk.wordpress.com/2010/01/13/280-ackley-improved-alert/#comment-364.

With all of that being said, I would build a 7mm Rem Mag. The difference in recoil is not significant since you are building a heavy rifle. I think that 160 grain bullets would be a better choice, which the magnum case handles better. Although, you could still do well with 150's in the magnum. After having three different 280's and loading for them all, I was never happy with the available brass. That is one reason that I could be interested in the 280 AI, because of the Nosler brass. There is just too much more available for the 7mm Rem Mag.

I've sold all of my 280's and 270's and now only keep a Shilen DGA-M Sporter in 7mmRemMag with 26" 9-twist barrel. It weighs 9#12ozs. scoped.

Last edited:
Bottom line......you seem to want to be talked out of a 280 and into a 270 ......if the 270 is your preference, go for it so you're not unhappy later.

IMHO, now that the great 270 advocate and outdoorsman Jack O'conner has been dead for a generation or two of new hunters, I've been hearing a lot less for a reason to choose it. I'm not seeing a lot of following here on this thread either. Yes, it's a fine round, but so is the 280. You're dealing with about the same necked down '06 case, powder, and recoil........so why not go with the 280 which has a superior choice of bullets, trajectory, and impact energy downrange? If you say you don't need the extra power out of the '06 sized case in a 280, then I don't see why the 270 is much different. I'd choose the 270 only if my daddy died and left it to me, or I got a heck of a deal on one used. But, that's me...not you.

The 280 wins hands down over the 270 specially with heavier bullets. Limiting yourself to 150 grainers is bad JUJU!! Bullets like the 168 Berger VLD have less wind drift and provide excellent trajectory. Give it a couple of months and Nosler will be out with their 168 Long Range Accubond that looks like a real winner.

I have 2 of the 270's (1) Win. and the Ruger American and both have been good shooters right out of the box.

Back