270 Win or 280 Rem

+1 for the .270. I have two. A 1903-A3 Springfield w/24" bbl and a 270 AI on a 98 Mauser with a Douglas medium wt. barrel 26" long. Both have been absoultely reliable on deer past 400 yds. I use both Speer and Sierra 150 gr. BT's. I avoid the high cost "designer bullets". Both rifles are mapped as to what trajectory they shoot and I use a laser rangefinder for ranging anything past my simple holdover limit of 250 yds. The ability to range targets accurately, a good adjustable scope and knowing your rifle are pre requisites for shooting 400 plus yards. I also limit my game shots to 500 yds. Beyond that, wind, mirage,atmospheric pressure,temperature,humidity and other conditions can reduce chances of a humane kill no matter what bullet is used. At 430 measured yds my AI put a 150 gr. Speer clean thru a 155 lb Pa. buck. A one shot kill.
The 280 Rem is a fine cartridge and has a better bullet weight selection but in the specific 150 gr. wt stated by the OP what is the difference of .007" (3.0005" per side) in bullet dia?? Marginally the .270 comes out ahead.
Bottom line everybody has to pick thier own poison.

I'm thinking on putting a long range hunting rifle together that will be used to shoot deer from 400-500+ yards. I settled on a 150 grain bullet. It will be built on a benchrest stock & shot from a table during hunting. It will weigh between 13-15 Lbs. with a 26" HV barrel.
Any opinions on which caliber/cartridge would be better?

Flip a coin because there is very little difference. I have a 280 Remmington AI and it has served me well. That being said, for the white tailed deer down here my choice would be a 22/250 up to 400 yards. It is just more lethal on deer.

Just my opinion.

Concho Bill

Bill, I'm just curious............what bullet do you use?

I have used mostly 55 grain bullets but some 50 grain hunting bullets. Sierra Simi pointed or Hornady.

I am not the only one in Texas who hunts with hot 22's. For the most part, I have not hunted from stands so many of my deer were on the run or at long distance so not all of my rounds were as well placed as I would have liked but all the deer were dead when they hit the ground.

These deer not very big and in most cases the bullet will exit in a big hole. The 22/250 would not be my choice for larger game such as Elk but I am not sure that it woulden work.

I am a believer in high velocity for hunting rounds. My best deer load for my 280 AI was a 120 grain bullet.

Conch Bill

Long Shots

Bill.......I like my old 25-06, with 100gr nosler partitions for long shots on West texas whitetails.

Glenn

Maybe some of those deer you "hit" are still running. :cool:
Hunter, I know that you are not sold on hot rod 22s for deer. That is fine. Hunters should use a rifle that they have confidence in. I would never tell you that your .375 Holland & Holland or any other rifle you hunt with will not kill a deer if the bullet hits the right spot. All I am trying to say is that a 22/250 has worked for me. It would be my choice for West Texas deer from a rack of all kinds of rifles.

I am fairly sure that others would vouch for the 22/250. All I can say for sure is that I never hit a deer with this round that got away and I never had to shoot one twice.

I also like my 25/06 AI with 100 grain bullets.

Concho Bill

Hunter, I know that you are not sold on hot rod 22s for deer. That is fine.

Concho Bill

CB, I was just teasing with you; I've used a .223 a few times for deer hunting and have a nice "hat rack" on my wall thanks to said .223. My initial comment was really playing with your "more lethal" comment; after all, dead is dead, and I suspect your .280 kills 'em dead also. :)

Back