.22 @ 1000

dragman

Anyone shooting .22 at 1000 yards??? just curious I was looking at the fast twist barrels and maybe doing a .22 big dog.

Jamie Cass shot a LG record (long since supplanted) with the Middlested back in the mid 1990s. And a real nice guy from South Boston, Virginia -- I forget his name -- had a little success with a variant on the 220 Swift. But neither of them could get more than a couple good matches a year out of the .22s, so being sensible fellows, they quit using them.

There are quite a few long range shooters shooting the 223 Rem at 1000 yards these days.

I have not found the "magic" as I have a Savage 1:7 twist and I cannot get it to shoot well at 1000, but it shoots well at 600 yards.

George

Last edited:
dragman,
Lonnie Hummel(Hornady technician) had some luck with a 22-6mm Rem a few years back. He says he is going to start shooting one again at 1000 BR. I have heard good reports on barrel life for the 22-6 from both Lonnie and others. There was an article in PS Magazine about it a few months back, maybe around Dec. 2010. If you call Lonnie at Hornady I am sure he would be happy to tell you about it, thats his baby.

James

.224" calibre for 1,000

Drags -

Howdy !

After using my .22-35Rem wildcat to get into the 500yd club, I decided to try some shots on paper @ 1,000. While the 510yd groundhog kill was made shooting a 24"
1-14 5-groove SS Hart, for 1,000yd; I'd be shooting .22-35 re-barrelled /
re-chambered w/ a K & P 28" 1-8 SS 5-groove.

I drew a black circle the size of a paper plate on a big piece of cardboard, and used a surveyor's wheel to run the target out to 1,000.

I got " come-ups " from Hornady over-the-phone, after chrono'ing my load.
Shooting w/ a front rest and rear bag from a ricketty card table, and using no wind flags; I put my first 1,000yd shot in the black ! While this is un-impressive to seasoned LR shooters, I was nearly stupefied by the comparative ease of putting a shot into a 10" circle... first-time out ! A 1,000yd kill on groundhog, seemed perfectly plausible !!

I'm not convinced one HAS TO have/shoot a super-huge capacitied' .224" cal case.
My .22-35 1,000yd load was: 75 "A"-Max over 40.5gr AA3100 and FED LR Match primer; for a 3,420fps accuracy load w/ the 28" tube. While my rifle was outfitted w/ Ken Farrell 20MOA scope base, I really did not have to have it. My 1" B & L scope still had enough elevation adjust in it, to not actually require use of a tapered scope base.

My math showed enough ft lb KE @ 1,000 for humane kill on a groundhog.
I didn't get to try the rifle/cartridge combo at an actuaul paper shoot @ 1,000.
( Now shooting a 6mm wildcat of my own design, w/ easier for me to see bullet holes on paper ).

All good fun !

With regards,
.357Mag

Charles............Wasn't Bob and Leslie Crone from up that way?
Richard
Yes, they are. But there were two brothers, one had a farm, the other worked in town until the farm brother got sick -- then he had to do both. They also had barrel blocked 6.5/06AIs that Tooley built them. I wish I could remember their names -- real nice people. One of their wives shot, too.

As to al the 22 at 1,000 yard questioners:

(1) this is the benchrest forum. Go look at the group size/score you need to do well. Which leads to (2):

(2) There are a lot of match reports on the IBS web site, covering a number of years. Go & look. IIRC, there aren't many .22s, but maybe IDRC.

The brothers you reference are Mike and Jimmy Harris. Both of their wives, Tina and Elizabeth also shot with them from time to time. Elizabeth won the 2000 Nationals LG group and also took down second place for the two gun grand aggregate.

That's right, thanks David. These were the days they were shooting 6.5/06 AI. I remember when a new barrel came in & was a touch undersize in o.d., Tooley wrapped a piece of paper around t & put it in the block. Shot lights-out.

Jimmy later came up with a .22 on the Swift case. He won his first match out with it, and it teased him for the rest of the year, but IIRC, he never got another match win, and maybe not even a relay win.

I keep thinking this is something I wanna try doing but I can't help but think its gonna cost me a LOT of money.

I keep thinking this is something I wanna try doing but I can't help but think its gonna cost me a LOT of money.

Good thinking, Dragman. If you really want to create your own personal head wind skip over the 22's and go to 17. Maybe you should buy Geoff Mottern's 17 cal bullet dies and other VERY custom stuff from when he proved it could be done at Williamsport with 53 gn. bullets and 5 1/2" twist barrels. I don't think Geoff won a lot but beat lots of folks and he proved that with a really big commitment you can accomplish things that most people would say are simply impossible. Last I heard, Geoff was working a very refined 6mm program.

Greg

I was using a 22BR and 22BRX for a while in F class. While they could be accurate, the small hole and not much dust kicked up meant the target pullers often had to be called on the radio to pull the target, then they took a while to find the hole, and often couldnt find it and gave you a miss. The 223 F class shooters are finding the same thing. My most accurate gun at the moment is my 22BR, but it is too risky being given misses to use it in a big shoot.
As for 1000yd BR, if your range was calm then maybe it might be worth a try.

Back