2023 NBRSA Short Range Score Nationals

Joe Duke

Come join us for score shooting fun and test your skills against the best at 2023 NBRSA Short-Range Score Nationals hosted by the Whittington Score Shooters Inc. at the storied Coors Benchrest range at the NRA Whittington center at Raton, New Mexico. History of range reveals that The Coors corporation approached the Whittington Center officials with the idea that Coors might be interested in funding the construction of a Schuetzenfest range at the Center. The NRA Whittington Center officials knew that a similar range concept had been proposed by a prominent bench rest gunsmith and barrel maker, Harold Broughton so they contracted him and as they say, it was a marriage made in Heaven. This range was promoted to the benchrest shooters by Mr. Broughton and Mr. Mike Ballew, who worked for the NRA Whittington Center, and others worked tirelessly during the early 1990’s to bring the range to fruition. Mr. Broughton led an effort for benchrest shooters to donate funds toward building it. Coors donated substantially to the construction of the shooting range, benchrest shooters donated toward the project and the NRA Whittington Center also funded and constructed the facility. With the newly acquired funding from Coors, construction began in earnest and in 1994, the range was well on the way to completion. In 1995 the permanent range with 75 benches on eight foot centers was complete and several matches were held. Notably, there was a benefit match held on July 15 and 16, 1995 to provide additional funding for the loading pavilion. At this match, they shot light varmint for group on one day and Hunter class rifles for score on the other day. Mr. Don Mulhall won both matches with a .3081” group agg and a 488-14x score agg. To complement the range, a loading pavilion measuring 50ft x 300ft was constructed. In 1996, this part of the facility was completed and dedicated to Harold and Juanez Broughton as the Harold Broughton Pavilion. Additionally, another building was constructed to serve at the scoring /stat house and permanent bathrooms. Now a complete world class facility was in place and ready for use. After hosting a few other shoots, in 1997, the NBRSA Score Nationals were hosted there by Harold Broughton. A total of 95 Hunter shooters showed up for the event. The course of fire was 100 yards on Saturday, 200 yards on Sunday, and a 300 yard match was held on Monday. Mr. Jim Hostetler won the 100 / 200 yard agg and the range was off and running. Since that date, the range has hosted numerous benchrest matches both group and score. The last score Nationals held there were in 2006. After a long absence, we are going to be back at the Whittington Coors range for the NBRSA score nationals July 25th through 28th, 2023. This match will be hosted by the Whittington Score Shooters Inc. We hope to see everyone who enjoys shooting to come join us for this event. Score shooters, lets all show up! Group shooters, you are not at a disadvantage shooting your PPC’s. Come on out. Wouldn’t it be great to meet or beat the 95 number of competitors at that first Score Nationals held here! This will be the first time Varmint for Score will be contested at the Whittington Center.
Here is a link to the 2023 NBRSA Score Nationals Registration.
Come join us for score shooting fun and test your skills against the best at 2023 NBRSA Short-Range Score Nationals hosted by the Whittington Score Shooters Inc. at the storied Coors Benchrest range at the NRA Whittington center at Raton, New Mexico. History of range reveals that The Coors corporation approached the Whittington Center officials with the idea that Coors might be interested in funding the construction of a Schuetzenfest range at the Center. The NRA Whittington Center officials knew that a similar range concept had been proposed by a prominent bench rest gunsmith and barrel maker, Harold Broughton so they contracted him and as they say, it was a marriage made in Heaven. This range was promoted to the benchrest shooters by Mr. Broughton and Mr. Mike Ballew, who worked for the NRA Whittington Center, and others worked tirelessly during the early 1990’s to bring the range to fruition. Mr. Broughton led an effort for benchrest shooters to donate funds toward building it. Coors donated substantially to the construction of the shooting range, benchrest shooters donated toward the project and the NRA Whittington Center also funded and constructed the facility. With the newly acquired funding from Coors, construction began in earnest and in 1994, the range was well on the way to completion. In 1995 the permanent range with 75 benches on eight foot centers was complete and several matches were held. Notably, there was a benefit match held on July 15 and 16, 1995 to provide additional funding for the loading pavilion. At this match, they shot light varmint for group on one day and Hunter class rifles for score on the other day. Mr. Don Mulhall won both matches with a .3081” group agg and a 488-14x score agg. To complement the range, a loading pavilion measuring 50ft x 300ft was constructed. In 1996, this part of the facility was completed and dedicated to Harold and Juanez Broughton as the Harold Broughton Pavilion. Additionally, another building was constructed to serve at the scoring /stat house and permanent bathrooms. Now a complete world class facility was in place and ready for use. After hosting a few other shoots, in 1997, the NBRSA Score Nationals were hosted there by Harold Broughton. A total of 95 Hunter shooters showed up for the event. The course of fire was 100 yards on Saturday, 200 yards on Sunday, and a 300 yard match was held on Monday. Mr. Jim Hostetler won the 100 / 200 yard agg and the range was off and running. Since that date, the range has hosted numerous benchrest matches both group and score. The last score Nationals held there were in 2006. After a long absence, we are going to be back at the Whittington Coors range for the NBRSA score nationals July 25th through 28th, 2023. This match will be hosted by the Whittington Score Shooters Inc. We hope to see everyone who enjoys shooting to come join us for this event. Score shooters, lets all show up! Group shooters, you are not at a disadvantage shooting your PPC’s. Come on out. Wouldn’t it be great to meet or beat the 95 number of competitors at that first Score Nationals held here! This will be the first time Varmint for Score will be contested at the Whittington Center.
Here is a link to the 2023 NBRSA Score Nationals Registration.

https://www.nbrsa.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/2023-NBRSA-sr-score-signup.pdf

Hope to see you there.
Joe

Couple of questions...

1) Any guess when the VFS match will be done on Wednesday? I'm weighing whether to spend that night in Raton or to get a jump on the trip home and spend the night further down the road.

2) Being that this is a national championship event, I'm assuming we'll be rotating benches after each match each day. If so, is there sufficient interest in a left-handed rotation? I have 6 "Smiley" flags (3 standard and 3 large) that I can contribute to the rotation. But my plans are to only shoot the VFS portion of the event.

Thanks.

.0325" on every hole is a BIG advantage!! If it wasn't for this advantage, the 30BR would have never been invented.

It says VFS not 6mmVFS. Why would you shoot anything but a 30 if you thought it had an advantage? What's the formula for equalizing recoil on the target?

.0325" on every hole is a BIG advantage!! If it wasn't for this advantage, the 30BR would have never been invented.

Remember, to capitalize on any mathematical advantage requires the shooter to make the exact same shot with the .30.

And that's not easy to do as even the smaller case .30s have significantly more recoil and gun torque in the bags.

Good shootin' -Al

This is the NBRSA registered score nationals and not some other discipline. All rifles will shoot the same official NBRSA score target and best edge scoring will be used. I am fully aware of the scoring advantage of the .30BR with its larger bullet. Shoot one myself.
But: I think Al hit the nail on the head. You have to execute the shot with the same precision, every time to utilize the difference in diameter to make a difference. This is pretty apparent at 100 yards which among the better shooters is an "X" game. Here the equipment wins. However, most seem to agree that 200 yards is a game where tens win the day and that it is much more a shooters ability that wins. And I for one certainly cannot read the wind well enough to take advantage of a .03" advantage. And most score matches are won and lost at the 200 yar line. Hence my statement that a good shooting 6MM is not at a real disadvantage over the total match.
And, I have been beaten like a drum by a 6PPC. Get Vic Smith at Tomball to show you his trophy.
I guess we could argue this one all over again til the end days and probably not ever totally agree. And thats ok by me.

Joe

This is the NBRSA registered score nationals and not some other discipline. All rifles will shoot the same official NBRSA score target and best edge scoring will be used. I am fully aware of the scoring advantage of the .30BR with its larger bullet. Shoot one myself.
But: I think Al hit the nail on the head. You have to execute the shot with the same precision, every time to utilize the difference in diameter to make a difference. This is pretty apparent at 100 yards which among the better shooters is an "X" game. Here the equipment wins. However, most seem to agree that 200 yards is a game where tens win the day and that it is much more a shooters ability that wins. And I for one certainly cannot read the wind well enough to take advantage of a .03" advantage. And most score matches are won and lost at the 200 yar line. Hence my statement that a good shooting 6MM is not at a real disadvantage over the total match.
And, I have been beaten like a drum by a 6PPC. Get Vic Smith at Tomball to show you his trophy.
I guess we could argue this one all over again til the end days and probably not ever totally agree. And thats ok by me.

Joe

I think we mostly agree Joe. I was just pointing out that a lot of shooters have gone back to a 6mm when there's no scoring advantage to the bigger bullet hole. Not promoting either. It was to make the same point, that apparently lots of people agree with. No scoring advantage, which would you shoot? No ill content.

I deleted my previous post. This one makes the point just as well. My apologies.

Last edited:
I think we mostly agree Joe. I was just pointing out that a lot of shooters have gone back to a 6mm when there's no scoring advantage to the bigger bullet hole. Not promoting either. It was to make the same point, that apparently lots of people agree with. No scoring advantage, which would you shoot? No ill content.

I deleted my previous post. This one makes the point just as well. My apologies.
You did not have to delete it Mike. I have no ill will at all. I just wanted to make sure everyone knew what the course of fire was going in. And I would like to encourage some of the very good group shooters to bring their sixes and participate.
Here where I live in Texas, the only score game in town is NBRSA. I also shot the IBS nationals this past year.
Over the years, I have somewhat followed the UBR game and even have a couple of the targets that I was given. It is an interesting game and I wouldn't mind trying it but not going to drive 1,000 miles to do so.
Looking at it and thinking about it, I am not sure I would not try a .22. But, I have been known to do some dumb stuff. grin.

Joe

I wasn't trying to start a raucous, but you stated in your original post "you are not at a disadvantage shooting your PPC’s", which is just not true....

You did not have to delete it Mike. I have no ill will at all. I just wanted to make sure everyone knew what the course of fire was going in. And I would like to encourage some of the very good group shooters to bring their sixes and participate.
Here where I live in Texas, the only score game in town is NBRSA. I also shot the IBS nationals this past year.
Over the years, I have somewhat followed the UBR game and even have a couple of the targets that I was given. It is an interesting game and I wouldn't mind trying it but not going to drive 1,000 miles to do so.
Looking at it and thinking about it, I am not sure I would not try a .22. But, I have been known to do some dumb stuff. grin.

Joe

I shoulda thought about just the title and intent of your post and I didn't.

Just about 90 days until match day. Time to get your entry sent in and your rifle all tuned up.
Match will be here before you know it!

Joe

Count me in

I haven't shot a match in 2 years now. I have just had too much going on. I will try to bring some extra 30 caliber bullets if anyone has been having trouble getting them. Just let me know if you need some.

Michael

Count me in

I haven't shot a match in 2 years now. I have just had too much going on. I will try to bring some extra 30 caliber bullets if anyone has been having trouble getting them. Just let me know if you need some.

Michael
Michael, Have you sent in your entry form?
Joe

Back