Yet another "Starting Reloading" thread - now for someone with little space & time

lojak

Yet another "Starting Reloading" thread - now for someone with little space & time

Hi all,

First, I've gone through the forums here, as well as other places, quite extensively over the last few months, and I wouldn't be asking if I found suitable opinions elsewhere..

I'll be starting to reload, but I am lacking for any permanent workspace, and perhaps more importantly, time is money, and I want to maximize what I learn. With that in mind, I've found myself amenable to portable arbor combo presses, such as the Harrell combo press. My reasoning is three-fold: First, combined with a careful selection of other required gear, I could conceivably pack all into a large-ish tool box, convenient for both storage at home, and taking to the range. Second, the Harrell was mentioned as useful at home by Boyd in his 6mmBR review. Third, I only want to deal with one press if possible, until I move from the one-bedroom apartment I live in, which does not have the space for a proper reloading set up.

Now my questions: Is such a combo press a realistic choice for someone new to reloading, and will it meet my needs for BR and long-range loading? Finally, to those that own such a press, can I expect to load ~ 100 rounds within a one to two hour time span? While BR and long-range is my thing, I'm considering buying an AR, and it would be nice to reload for that using a combo press, until such time as I have the space for a Dillion, etc.

For the record, the alternative to a combo press, in my eyes, would be a Forster Co-Ax.

What say you, my esteemed and learned shooters?

What will you mount it on...desk? kitchen table? Small bench?

Hi Tony,

Within my apartment, it will be mounted on either a sturdy computer desk, or the dining room table if my gf is using the computer. I've considered a Workmate, but space is very limited, particularly closet space where I could put it away.

One additional point I did not make clear in my original post was that I'd like to take the press to the range, so that I can develop my loads dynamically, if you'll permit that terminology. While I can do load development at home, I'm an hour away from the nearest rifle range. And with work being the way it is, I have little time to waste developing a range of possible loads, only to find that the best one of the group early on at the range. An hour here and there adds up might quick.

Thanks,

-- Stephen

I don't own one but the Harrell looks a little short if you are planning on loading the mags for the LR you mentioned. Also, I don't know about the other guys but I couldn't do 100 rounds in two hours on a single stage if you held a gun to my head.:eek: For speed, I use a Dillon 550 for crapy .223 loads and the 1050 for pistol but never for accuracy. Forgive me for being forward but the quest to get one press that will do everything (including speed) will probably not happen. If you could squeeze a second desk in that room you could manage without all that packing and unpacking...been there and did that for a short time in my younger years. The press is only a fraction of the issue, all the components and misc. tools will drive you crazy packing and unpacking.

I have several presses but I seem to go to my Redding Ultra Mag and a seperate Arbor Press most often. You could do the heavy stuff at home and just throw powder and seat bullets with the arbor at the range.

Maybe some of the short range guys will chime in here??? In any case I wish you luck.

I used to live in a very small apartment.
I mounted my Lee Turret press to a piece of wood. And C-clamp this to the breakfast bar.
I now have a 3 bedroom house. The Lee Classic Turret is mounted to aluminum plate and C-clamped to an old computer table. Table has been reinforced with L brackets.
My range press is an old RCBS Partner. Also mounted to aluminum plate.
Another guy on here has an old table 2' x 3'. I think. In the laundry room. He closes the washer and dryer doors. And spreads out. Until someone wants to do laundry.:(
Make it work. :)
Oh, the old guy tells me. "Buy the good stuff now. Then you won't have to pay for it later."

As far as your shortage of time goes, perhaps you could learn from the experience of my 20 something son.

When he bought a new rifle about eight years ago, he also bought reloading equipment and components. They have been stored in my basement for many years, never used. Frankly, my son is rather impatient and was not willing to take the time.

Loading at the range could work, but if it is windy out there I certainly wouldn't want to trust the powder scale.

I don't know prices on the products you are eyeing, but you might want to start cheap and simple. A used single-stage press, dies, and other basics might be a beginning. If you really like the hobby, you can lay out the heavy bread later.

Fairly simple

The only real problems you have are mounting the press and catching the spent primers when loading in your apartment. I recommend the standard plywood table that traveling benchrest shooters use. Buy a 2' by 4' foot 3/4" piece of plywood at the Home Depot and pick up some "folding banquet table legs" (click) while you are there. Screw the legs to the plywood and you have your table. Perhaps the smallest can of varnish, used until it's gone, would add some moisture protection and give you a "good" feeling but not at all necessary. NO PAINT!

If the press you have chosen doesn't have a built in clamp, buy two C-clamps. Shop for a sturdy cooler with a carry handle that will hold your stuff and double as a seat. Keep the cooler as small as possible and don't reinforce the table. It's nice to have a table that doesn't "flex" but anything you add as reinforcement you will regret later in terms of weight. Perhaps the smallest can of varnish, used until it's gone, would add some moisture protection and give you a "good" feeling but not at all necessary. NO PAINT!

plywood table
press - not a big press. Doesn't need to be big.
FL, neck, or neck/bump die
straight line bullet seater
arbor press if necessary (i.e. not built into the press as with the Harrell's combo)
priming tool
powder drop
C-clamps (always good)

All that will fit in your cooler along with a day's worth of components. Pick up the table in one hand, the cooler in the other and head for the range. Fits easily along with a rifle case in a compact car.

You can try but you probably can't come up with anything better than this. If there were anything better the aforementioned traveling benchrest shooters would be using it. Oh yeah, I think I'm the only one sitting on a cooler. Everybody else has a folding chair and a big fancy box to carry their stuff. They don't need it but a cool box has long been some kind of "symbol".

You mentioned rounds per hour. With such a setup, you can easily load 20 rounds, clean your rifle, and still have enough time left to tell somebody about the one that got away, all in 30 minutes. I would estimate a minimum of 100 rounds per hour at home. Much more probably...don't know as I've never had more than 20 cases to load.

Last edited:
Reloading

Wilber,
"Oh yeah, I think I am the only one sitting on a cooler". I saw Darryl Whitman sitting on a cooler reloading at the Bluebonnet last weekend. Are ya'll related? :D

Best,

Dan Batko

"Where are we going and why am I in this basket?"

Don't forget a good..........

tumbler, so when you get home you can clean those cases. Use some half inch closed cell foam neoprene under it, it'll keep the noise down.;) Also, when reloading at home, its easier to load in "batches", one night you clean the interior of case necks, then size & de-prime, maybe re-prime. next night, charge & seat bullets, or, just prime, & that gives you a head start when you do get to the range. Since time is at a premium, I know what its like to get ready for the W/E. Start early in the week, you'll get it down after a bit.:D

lojak ...

Hi all,

First, I've gone through the forums here, as well as other places, quite extensively over the last few months, and I wouldn't be asking if I found suitable opinions elsewhere..

I'll be starting to reload, but I am lacking for any permanent workspace, and perhaps more importantly, time is money, and I want to maximize what I learn. With that in mind, I've found myself amenable to portable arbor combo presses, such as the Harrell combo press. My reasoning is three-fold: First, combined with a careful selection of other required gear, I could conceivably pack all into a large-ish tool box, convenient for both storage at home, and taking to the range. Second, the Harrell was mentioned as useful at home by Boyd in his 6mmBR review. Third, I only want to deal with one press if possible, until I move from the one-bedroom apartment I live in, which does not have the space for a proper reloading set up.

Now my questions: Is such a combo press a realistic choice for someone new to reloading, and will it meet my needs for BR and long-range loading? Finally, to those that own such a press, can I expect to load ~ 100 rounds within a one to two hour time span? While BR and long-range is my thing, I'm considering buying an AR, and it would be nice to reload for that using a combo press, until such time as I have the space for a Dillion, etc.

For the record, the alternative to a combo press, in my eyes, would be a Forster Co-Ax.

What say you, my esteemed and learned shooters?

If you've got the budget for it, by all means go for the Harrell's combo press. It's one of the finest out there. In fact, Harrell's makes some of the finest BR products you'll ever find. Check out their site:http://www.harrellsprec.com/. Plus Lynwood and Walter are two of the nicest gentlemen you'll ever deal with. :)

Brian ...

tumbler, so when you get home you can clean those cases. Use some half inch closed cell foam neoprene under it, it'll keep the noise down.;) Also, when reloading at home, its easier to load in "batches", one night you clean the interior of case necks, then size & de-prime, maybe re-prime. next night, charge & seat bullets, or, just prime, & that gives you a head start when you do get to the range. Since time is at a premium, I know what its like to get ready for the W/E. Start early in the week, you'll get it down after a bit.:D

I know of no one in Benchrest, that's Benchrest with a capital "B" that uses a tumbler. Tumbling 6mmPPC brass can bend up the thinly turned necks and clog up the .0625 flash holes. Heck, most of the guys I know load at the range and just full length size / deprime, drop powder, seat, and go shoot. Once in a while, someone will wipe off the outside of a neck and maybe run a brush inside a neck, but that's all. Walk through the loading area at a BR match and you'll see how it's done. ;)

Sorry, Art, while I turned necks, I...........

never turned them that thin, I was speaking from the perspective of a hunter & I guess he was speaking as a br participant.;)

Back