Would you like one?

Wow! That is something. But seems to only work on a very limited size range.

Actually that is old technology. Mill/turn centers have been around since about 1975. Mazak Hitachi-Sieki, Okuma, Roma, Mori-Sieki and a few others.

Besides that's just 5-axis. (X, Y, Z, X' and Z') Try a Horizontal Boring Mill with an 8-axis changeable head. That one was made by Giddings & Lewis at Fond du Lac, WI in 1992.

The first one (G&L) was made for the DOE at Oak Ridge. I saw part of the acceptance test at G&L. It got hijacked to Israel and Oak Ridge had to wait for another one to be built. Shows you where the Pentagon's priorities lie.

Looks like G&L is owned by the Krauts now. http://www.giddings.com/company/overview.html

I once saw a turning center with live tooling in the rear turrets at the Chicago Tool Show. This thing had(42)programmable functions. I was kind ofyawning until the factory guy drilled and tapped a 6-32 hole on a compound angle. He then started everything that would turn and let it run for a while. He then went back and ran the tap in the tapped hole. No shaving and no broken tap. It was a German machine called a Komet. Bit of an eye opener for an old crank turner.

Mike Swartz

Back