Wold anybody buy a custom barreled action?

M

mmyers

I found a rem short action with a krieger barrel for sale, and I was wondering if anybody would buy it or why they wouldn't. He said it has 200rds fired and had the action trued. I would like to have it but a bit weary.

Remington trued action

I found a rem short action with a krieger barrel for sale, and I was wondering if anybody would buy it or why they wouldn't. He said it has 200rds fired and had the action trued. I would like to have it but a bit weary.

If the action was trued by a reputable gunsmith and the price was right, it is a nice platform for an accurate varmint rig, not benchrest. You need to find out how the action was trued and by whom. Most reputable gunsmiths will square the face of the action, clean the bolt face, lap the locking lugs for full contact and recut the internal receiver threads. Prices can range from approx. $250.00 to $350.00. Chambering and fitting the Kreiger to that receiver will run from $175.00 to $250.00 (not counting the original price of the barrel). No self respecting gunsmith would fit a Krieger to a receiver that did not at least have the face squared and the threads re-cut.

Lou Baccino

I would want to know the particulars on the chambering, preferably from the 'smith who cut it. Is it short or long for a particular style of bullet, tight or no-turn for a particular case thickness, wildcat? A box of cartridges off the shelf may not be of any use.

A Rem 700 can be just as accurate as any custom action ever made. The biggest problem that you will face is believing the guy who is selling it. Was it really trued? By who? Is it really a Kreiger barrel? Who chambered it? No used rifle has ever had more than 300 rounds thru it so that part of the story is a given. The biggest drawback is that a Rem has nowhere near the resale value of a custom action, for all of the above reasons.

Ray

Thanks guys, he couldn't answer a lot of the ? so I'm going to pass.

Mounting a barrel

I had a hard time finding a smith that would put a barrel on a model 70. Finally found one and the total cost was $850 including the barrel but it was also pillar bedded and glass bedded with a chamber on the minimum side. High I thought but man does this thing shoot. It'll do three shot groups under a quarter inch at 100 yd. heck man I'll have to hold onto it cause with the barrel Job the cost is more than the price of some new rifles. But I like the model 70 design, three postion safety, smooth action, controlled round feed, plus the fact its not produced anymore. I had to make a choice. Get rid of it or rebarrel it Plus the fact that it is all stainless. I feel like I got a gem.
vmaxx

Last edited by a moderator:
I should have stated

It is a .243 with a thumb hole cameo varmint stock. The thing weighs 16 lb. I feel that contributes to the accuracy somewhat. Has a nice tight camber, lugs lapped, receiver squared, blolt face trued. The whole 9 yards. Its more of a bench gun than a varmint rifle. I have also found the rifle likes Norma brass. Its topped with a 3x12 power Burris fulfield scope and Burris posi line rings with an anti cant device mounted on the rear of the scope tube. I'm using Hornady 75 gr. HP. Varget powder (37gr,) My best 3 shot group so far is .100" at 100 yd. 4 shots wil open the group up to about .180" The rifle shoots better than I can so if I do my part this thing is a tack driver. I can't seem to get it to shoot the vmax bullets as good as the HP's though. And as you can tell by my user name I like those vmax bullets.
Thanks for asking,
vmaxx

Last edited by a moderator:
Back