Wireless Video Transmitters

Mirage416

Some people lately seemed to be interested in wireless video camera systems, yet weren't quite sure where to find the transmitters to use at 600-1500 yards.

So I figured I would make mention that the systems which should work at those distances are available here: http://www.vfmstore.com/tr24.htm

They are 2.4Ghz 3W+ models. I was told that wattage will extend well past 1500 yards. I have no affiliation with the place, but it sounded like something I'd like to try myself at that price.

Anyone around here have experience with similar setups? Where did you get yours?

why not

driving back and forth to see 600yrd bullet holes is the pits,i am usually at the range by my self,i need a video spotter,could use a laptop as a screen?

"So I figured I would make mention that the systems which should work at those distances are available here: http://www.vfmstore.com/tr24.htm"

"should work" and "do work" are different concepts entirely.

al

I know what you mean Alinwa. I said "should", because I was told even a 1W output with directional antenna can do very long distances. These are from 1W output on up.

I am thinking about one of these setups again now that it's spring, but I'm still curious to hear about other proven wireless systems out there.

Anyone use a similar setup at far distances?

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket about the wireless video idea but every body interested needs to be cognizant of the interference issues and also at higher power and/or with directional antennas, with the regulatory authority and responsibility of the FCC.

The purpose of the FCC regulations is to insure that persons operating radio frequency emitting equipment and particularly transmitters are doing so in a manner does not interfere with the lawful use of those frequencies by others.

The so-called unlicensed bands do not require the owner/operator to be licensed only if the equipment is limited to very low output power with low efficiency antennas so as not to produce significant signal strengths at very long distances. For example, baby monitors (audio and/or video) are limited in output power and antenna efficiency so that the range is limited to a single house on a city sized lot. That way millions of units on the same or 4 adjacent frequencies can be operated with little to no mutual interference.

Licensed bands require the operator to be responsible for preventing harmful interference with other licensed and unlicensed services. Note that licensed operators are subject to not only loss of license but fines and/or imprisonment for operating outside the terms of the license or causing interference with other services.

For example, the RC Aircraft equipment mentioned does include some fairly long range video capability. However, the assigned frequencies and power output/antennas are permitted only for that use and for "intermittent brief use that does not interfere with any other regulated service". Further, even that use does actually require the operator to pay a fee and obtain a license "before first use" for RC airplane use only. This is similar to the GRS radio service (long range hand held radios popular with hunters and hikers) that while equipment is readily available on line or retail, a license "before first use" is still required.

Also remember that the sellers of the equipment is not regulated by the FCC and it is not in their interest to advertise usage restrictions. All responsibility lies with the end user!

I read that article and it looks interesting. I think I am going to order one of the linked setups. I have a nice 19" LCD that would work perfect on the bench.

How about we buy five of those set ups and use them in place of spotting scopes in the Hunter portion of the IBS Nationals at Webster City this September 1,2,3,4? He can even charge rent to the others on our rotation. We'll be rolling in dough as long as someone doesn't cross fire low and wipe us out.
The IBS NAtional Score Championship is in Iowa this year.

Great idea Francis! :) Barring crossfires, we'll be wearing diamonds as big as goat turds by the end of the event. :cool: Or is that: goat turds as big as diamonds? :confused:

I always forget which.......;)

How do computer screens or LCD screen or whatever hold up to the sounds of a rifle range? Does muzzle blast injure them?

The screens do just fine, it is the hard drive mechanics that usually are affected....................Don

I use a setup like this on the 600 and 1000 yd ranges. I make sure I am pretty much dialed in on the clay pigeons next to the target before I shoot the paper target (where the transmitter is sitting below) I made a very crude but effective 2 x 4 platform for the camera/transmitter and place it about 2 feet in front of the target. The camera head sits about 6 inches above the ground and is tilted up to center on the bullseye. The receiver is also small and sits right next to my laptop that sits on the bench next to where I shoot.

So, I take a shot, look over my shoulder at the laptop and see very clearly where my shot hit.

I used the company listed below but it looks about the same as the website mentioned on the first thread.

You don't have to spend a lot of money, this one works fine for me.

http://www.wirelessvideocameras.net/category/001_rc_airborne_video_downlinks.4/

I just found a supplier who is sending me 2W output 900Mhz TX/RX boards. I ordered omni antennas also. I have to mount them inside of project boxes, and maybe install a heatsink on the TX depending on how hot it gets.

I'm using a 12V 12AH battery on the TX/camera and a 12V 4.5AH battery on the RX. Both are sealed lead acid.

I am thinking about putting together a couple of these packages with 30X optical zoom Samsung CCTV cameras at 520 lines res if anyone is interested.

I will post final results ASAP, but the clear LOS transmission of such frequencies typically should reach *miles* in distance easily.

Mirage:

Since you're in Illinois and Francis is from Michigan...your system should be safe from his crossfires. -Al

My home built 1W 2.4 G system works fine at 600 but needs high gain antennas for the 1000 yd. I use a cheap digital camcorder and portable DVD player with input to monitor. A car jump pack powers everthing all day easily and has cigarette lighter adaptors to plug the transmitter and camera into. This is the transmitter and reciever I use. AVTechsolutions.com/he_vavs1w24.htm I have less then $500 invested.

The lower the frequency, the further the signal will transmit with less attenuation at like power levels. I saw a graph on an amateur television site showing that by halving the frequency you can nearly double the signal range.

I believe 2.4Ghz has some natural trouble going very far distances without a lot of power. Also it attenuates a lot when traveling through objects. Not that this is a problem on a range, but I also hoped to do some deer trail watching from the woods with the system. This is why I chose an adjustable 900Mhz setup which can be tuned down to 870Mhz.

SooStan,
I pm you on mon. I just have another question. How does the dvd player work as for being able to see your bullet holes. Some are say you should use a 17 or 19" monitor. I'm just looking to keep the size down.

It depends on how close the camera is. The camera I was using only has a 4x digital zoom (I have a nicer but very old 12x camcorder but it died on me)and I could see 223 holes in the black when the light was right with a borrowed 7" DVD player. I moved the target slightly, got it out of the shadows and could easily see my holes. Holes in the white could probably be seen on a 4" screen. I ordered a 10" for myself. I don't think the screen size is real important as the screen has the same number of lines of resolution no matter the size unless you get into HD. It also depends on the camera and system you are using. I am no electronics tech but I like my low cost system very much. I will post some pics next week when I can get to the range and the new DVD player arrives.

Back