Wind probe material?

EdLena

I'm not sure if probe is the right word. Right now I have a ribbon for the tail on my wind flags and I'm looking to make a solid tail/probe.
I know it would have to be light but strong enough to keep it's shape. What type of material should I use to make that type of tail?
Thanks,
Ed.

Sail Tails can also be found in kite supplies. What you need is the 1.5 ounce material as it holds a lengthwise curl better than the .75 ounce material. Cut the material to the length you need and 2 inches wide. Carry the tails in one inch PVC pipe to form a foil shape and to hold their shape. Applying a little heat also aids in forming the foil shape. Attach them to the back end (of course) of the wind flag with a fishing snap swivel.
On second thought as you are shooting air gun and may need a tail more responsive to light wind conditions you may want the .75 ounce material. I shoot centerfire and took an infrequent excursion onto the air gun site.

Last edited:
Sail tails are a nice tail for sure.
I will say you might not like them due to the fact they are less responsive due to the weight and stiffness of the material.

I have some in bright I sell that are 2”wide and around 25” long for 5 tail for $20 plus shipping.

You can contact me at
GrahamWindFlags@outlook.com

Another way to do this is check out sail boat sail material suppliers. One such dealer is sailrite.com located in Indiana. They sell dacron sailcloth in various weights .75 oz and 1.5 oz. cost is about ten dollars for a yard of material, 60 inches wide. I bought a yard in bright yellow. The stuff is easily cut with a sharpie knife and straight edge. An added benefit is it does not unravel along the cut.

My preference is ripstop nylon. i hate fluttery tail material

.75oz material, cut 1.25 wide, and 24" long will stay curled and rise/fall in a rigid straight manner.
I found the best way to keep it curled (which keeps it rigid) is to keep the original roll I cut from tightly rolled up to give it some memory.
And after cutting, place the material in a 1/2" piece of PVC, plug one end and fill it with hot tap water.
Let it sit until the water cools, drain, and let the ripstop dry in the tube.

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?89564-Wind-flag-tails&highlight=tails

Back