Winchester model 70

G

GGG

Hi Guys,

I currently own a model 70 in 300 win mag which is rapidly approaching smoothbore status. I'm keen to try another calibre and understand the principles or re-barrelling, but how easy would it be to re-configure the bolt head and extractor etc. to say 308 dimensions.

thanks in advance

GGG

You are better off buying another rifle, or at least another bolt. It is fairly straightforward to go from 300 Win Mag to .308, but the other way requires metal to be added and machined, not to mention the effect on whatever heat treating the bolt had received during manufacture. It can be done, but for a first project I would try something a little less ambitious. Depending on the model, you may be able to buy a bolt from Numrich Gun Parts. Good luck the Win. Model 70 is a great rifle.

I would sell it or trade it in on a new rifle in .308
Get a new Mod 70 Classic SS .
By the time you pay for the barrel and fitting ,
bolt , extractor and possibly ejector modifications .
magazine & follower modifications for feeding the smaller diameter & length round.
Will end up costing the same or even more.
You could still end up with a 308 that does not feed well.
Why do you want to stop using the 300 Win mag ?

Keep the same bolt head and turn it into a 257 Weatherby or a 264 Winchester. Both of these are slightly shorter in length but will cycle just fine with the existing feed rails. For everything except North Americas biggest bears, these will take care of most hunting situations.:D

Thanks for the info guys,

In answer to the question why do I want to change from 300WM, the latest blow to UK shooters is the decision to limit calibres with more than 4500 Joules muzzle energy for use on military ranges, which most UK shooters use. This effectively means that large energy rifles could be redundant. I don't want to put money into a rifle that I won't be able to use.

I'm sure this situation is unimaginable to you in the USA, but shooting in the UK is being incrementally destroyed.

Having found some Winchester bolts on the sites suggested, I have another question. Are the bolts interchangeable between the different actions i.e. post 64 classic, post 64 push feed etc ?

thanks

GGG

I can see why you want to change the cartridge .
Can't say on the bolt issue have never tried to swap the bolts on Mod 70 's.
If the bolt fits the race and all other dimentions are the same then it may make little difference if it is a claw extractor or a push feed as long as the extractor does not contact the barrel face.
You need a gunsmith that is experienced with Mod 70's and get him to get the correct bolt.

To start, long and short action bolts won't swap and I would guess that the push feed and controlled round feed bolts are not interchangeable, they use different ejectors. I know the pre and post '64 are not the same. I personally feel the push feed is superior for target work and the long action allows long seating of bullets without magazine worries.

Back