Winchester Mdl. 52

J

JSchopper

I have just become the new owner of a Winchester Model 52 22 rimfire, Serial Number 572, mfg. 1921. This one has the forearm barrel band.
Can anybody tell me if this barrel band hinders accuracy, as it essentially clamps the barrel to the stock. I imagine "free-floating" barrels was not a concern back in 1921, but is the Holy Grail for some shooters now.
So......would it be prudent to leave the barrel band on as-is, or remove it completely?

I have just installed a Unertl 15X scope, and I can't wait to shoot it.

Thank You,
JS

I have just become the new owner of a Winchester Model 52 22 rimfire, Serial Number 572, mfg. 1921. This one has the forearm barrel band.
Can anybody tell me if this barrel band hinders accuracy, as it essentially clamps the barrel to the stock. I imagine "free-floating" barrels was not a concern back in 1921, but is the Holy Grail for some shooters now.
So......would it be prudent to leave the barrel band on as-is, or remove it completely?

I have just installed a Unertl 15X scope, and I can't wait to shoot it.

Thank You,
JS

You asked this on a benchest forum. Will it....probably. Over all it is a vintage gun so probably vintage accuracy is likely.

The early 52's such as yours only use 1 screw to retain receiver in stock. The barrel band was designed to be an integral component and secures the barreled action in stock along with the 1 action screw. The only way to free float the barrel is to add an additional action action screw at the rear tang like the factory did on all post 52A models, and remove barrel band. This would destroy any collector value your rifle might have, and I strongly recommend against such a modification. Even if the barrel is free floated, you still have to deal with a very antiquated trigger by bench rest standards. I would enjoy gun for what it is, and if bench rest is your ultimate goal, upgrade to a later model with better trigger and stock. Attached is a short article explaining the thought process behind this early design and the barrel band.
Steve

TOUCH NOTHING !!.....Hercule Poirot

It seems you have an heirloom of yesteryear. No many around. Why not leave it alone and just shoot it for enjoyment.

Respectfully,Ted.

It seems you have an heirloom of yesteryear. No many around. Why not leave it alone and just shoot it for enjoyment.

Respectfully,Ted.

Thank you. That's exactly what I intend to do. And a special thanks to seewin; that is a great article regarding the (early) Win.52s!
If I can get my printer working, I'll print it up:D

Prior to the technology to bed the receiver with composite materials, factory barrel "pressure bedding" was common from the M1903 Springfield up thru the Remington Model 37 and 40X and maybe the Win 52C?

Freeland and others sold various aftermarket devices to provide adjustable tension between the barrel and forend. My Model 37 has one. Never found a sweet spot for precision with it but changing the tension will definitely change the elevation POI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back