Winchester 52C Standard Target Rifle

K

Kurt K

This weekend I was looking at a 52C. The rifle serial number was say 82538. When I pulled the bolt the serial here was 82558. Do you think the worker just mis-engraved the serial on the bolt or do you think they assembled the incorrect bolt in the rifle. The rifle also had drilled and tapped holes on the receiver for a conventional scope mount and two sets of extra holes on the barrel. Other than the above the rifle was in good shape. The seller was asking $850. Is the price realistic. Should I steer away from it? Thanks in advance.

Winchester 52 C

I would love to get a Winchester 52 C to shoot, and extra holes wouldn't bother me too much. I bet it was for some of scope mounting using a ring on the barrel and a ring on the receiver. If the bolt works well and the rifle shoots well, why care ? Let the Seller know your concern and see if you can try it out. If it shoots well, buy it. If not, pass on it. My 2 Cents worth.

My feeling is if you are looking at it just to shoot, it will not matter. If, on the other hand, you are concerned about getting your money back out of it, or it appreciating in value, I would pass. At $850, it is no bargain with the extra holes. Those just kill it from a collector standpoint. Why not look around and find one that you don't have to make excuses for? You should be able to pick up a very nice one in the $1000 range, possibly even with sights, and it will appreciate in value.
You mentioned in the title, " Standard target rifle". Were you referring to the Standard weight barrel or the Heavy target barrel? The standard weight barrel variety will bring a slight premium over the heavy weight barrel version just because there were fewer made. Still, even it if is the standard weight barrel, I would pass on it and find an original gun.
Look closely at the engraved number on the bolt. These were done by hand and I have seen many where the numbers were hard to make out. I would bet the numbers are correct.
Just my opinion...
Steve

I agree with everything steve said but also look on the side of the action and see if it says U.S. Property if it does then it came from the CMP and they are bad about mismatching the gun parts. I have seen several with the wrong serialed number bolt in them. The action has been drilled and tapped for a modern scope. the holes in the Barrel was probably for the older barrel mount scope. Brian

I have seen several with the wrong serialed number bolt in them.
Sometimes the bolts were swapped after cleaning a batch of rifles. Sometimes they were swapped to cure a headspace issue. Don't assume a mismatched rifle/bolt pair is automatically a bad thing.

I don't think I'd pay $850 for it, way too much for one that has been bubba'd. I know it's apples and oranges but I just bought a 52A for $100 because it had some kind of wierd thumbhole stock. I sold a 52D last year for $750 no sights, if it were me I'd pass on the one you are looking at. Thanks, Douglas

I don't know what it's worth, but if you like it and can afford it, I'd say buy it.
The pleasure of owning a rifle you like will more than compensate for a few dollars extra you may have paid.

This weekend I was looking at a 52C. The rifle serial number was say 82538. When I pulled the bolt the serial here was 82558. Do you think the worker just mis-engraved the serial on the bolt or do you think they assembled the incorrect bolt in the rifle. The rifle also had drilled and tapped holes on the receiver for a conventional scope mount and two sets of extra holes on the barrel. Other than the above the rifle was in good shape. The seller was asking $850. Is the price realistic. Should I steer away from it? Thanks in advance.
i have put my win 52c with 14xunertl 1.500 mounted on it .petaluma gun and reloading 1 707 763 1258 also my cooper trp3 no scope .they have them and all the info you need .both rifles shoot better then i can see . ferret

Back